• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Regulators

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

Also, I seem to have trouble securing the tank to the BC -- it seems tight, but then it slips over time in the water. I don't want this to happen when I'm in the OW!

Are you wetting the tank strap of the BC before putting it on the tank?

No, I'm not, now that you mention it. No one even told me to do that! >:P

#32 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:20 PM

Unlike Walter, I LOVE my weight integrated BC since I hate the feeling of a weight belt on my hips. I dive with a Scubapro Ladyhawk and only have good things to say about it. Mind you, this is because it fits me so well. Obviously, different body styles are going to have different fits with each BC. All I know is that it is much nicer for me to dive in than a Scubapro Classic which seems to be more developed for the male torso.

I was able to find a wetsuit off the rack that fits me near perfectly, but again, this will all depend on body shape and size and whether or not the particular wetsuit manufacturer that the wetsuit is made by had a model of a similar shape and size to you... :D

I have one of those "traditional" single hose regulators and have no intention to change. My dive computer is a Suunoto Cobra which is set up for both Air and Nitrox. I have enjoyed diving with it but then again, horror of horrors, I do dive with split fins so really, you must take everything I say about my experiences with a grain of salt! :lmao:

Oh yeah, and by the way, welcome to the board! Hope you enjoy yourself here! :P

Michelle

#33 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:22 PM

Also, I seem to have trouble securing the tank to the BC -- it seems tight, but then it slips over time in the water. I don't want this to happen when I'm in the OW!

Are you wetting the tank strap of the BC before putting it on the tank?

No, I'm not, now that you mention it. No one even told me to do that! >:P

You definitely need to wet it first. It stretches when wet which is why it seems tight and then comes loose in the water. Your instructor should have taught you that in the pool sessions when setting up your gear.

#34 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Weight integrated BCs are a PITA to deal with with the weights in them. I also think it's a PITA to take out the weights before switching tanks and replacing them after. A weight belt is much easier for me.

Look for a BC without padding and cummerbunds. That merely adds drag. I personally use a Scubapro Classic Sport. It's streamlined, doesn't trap air, tank strap won't slip and is not weight integrated.

ScubaPro Classic Sport, huh? All the ones in my local dive shop have cummerbunds, I think, and they all definitely have integrated weights. I think they are SeaQuest or something. They give a good deal if you buy all your stuff as a package there ($100 store credit, $150 off package price, and $100 credit toward trips). However, I want to get gear I can live with for a while. I saw one instructor had a BC with double straps. Is this any more secure? Who makes them?

I am still torn between weight belts and integrated weights with a BC. I like the idea of soft weight packets. I've worn the weight belt for my first dives in Nassau. They weren't so bad, but that's just another piece of gear I'm going to have to remember, right?

#35 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

Unlike Walter, I LOVE my weight integrated BC since I hate the feeling of a weight belt on my hips.  I dive with a Scubapro Ladyhawk and only have good things to say about it.  Mind you, this is because it fits me so well.  Obviously, different body styles are going to have different fits with each BC.  All I know is that it is much nicer for me to dive in than a Scubapro Classic which seems to be more developed for the male torso.

I was able to find a wetsuit off the rack that fits me near perfectly, but again, this will all depend on body shape and size and whether or not the particular wetsuit manufacturer that the wetsuit is made by had a model of a similar shape and size to you... :D 

I have one of those "traditional" single hose regulators and have no intention to change.  My dive computer is a Suunoto Cobra which is set up for both Air and Nitrox.  I have enjoyed diving with it but then again, horror of horrors, I do dive with split fins so really, you must take everything I say about my experiences with a grain of salt! :lmao:

Oh yeah, and by the way, welcome to the board!  Hope you enjoy yourself here! :P

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! Nice to hear a female viewpoint. I sometimes forget that women are equal to men -- not identical! (I'm sure I'll hear colorful commentary on this point! :D )

I, too, have splitfins. Is that taboo b/c it's not hardcore diving gear or some machismo thing? I actually really like my fins -- I was the only one in my class who didn't get leg cramps! I guess I'm going to have to find some shop around here that sells ScubaPro so I can see what they are like! Thanks for the lead!

#36 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:30 PM

You definitely need to wet it first. It stretches when wet which is why it seems tight and then comes loose in the water. Your instructor should have taught you that in the pool sessions when setting up your gear.

Nope....not a word! Sigh! I'm glad I have you guys for the extra info!!!!

#37 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

Yes, some of those hard core divers out there (who shall remain anoyomous), do tend to be critical of diving with split fins... :P Actually, I think most will agree that as long as you are comfortable and happy with the gear you are diving with then it is right for YOU!

#38 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

All I know is that it is much nicer for me to dive in than a Scubapro Classic which seems to be more developed for the male torso.

Not the Classic, darlin', the Classic Sport.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#39 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

Walter, anyway you look at it, the facts are simple - I have breasts and men don't. I much prefer a BC with those breasts in mind... :P

#40 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:19 PM

Walter, anyway you look at it, the facts are simple - I have breasts

Well darlin', if you insist, I'll look.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#41 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

Somehow, Walter, I have no doubt... :lmao:

#42 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

Somehow, Walter, I have no doubt...  :lmao:

That's the problem these days, nobody has any trust--everyone wants verification!!!

:D
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#43 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

Weight integrated BCs are a PITA to deal with with the weights in them. I also think it's a PITA to take out the weights before switching tanks and replacing them after. A weight belt is much easier for me.

Look for a BC without padding and cummerbunds. That merely adds drag. I personally use a Scubapro Classic Sport. It's streamlined, doesn't trap air, tank strap won't slip and is not weight integrated.

GREAT ADVICE!!!

I have a weight integrated and wish I did not! It's a PITA. But it is a SP and the tank won't slip!

#44 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:42 PM

Here's another female perspective....

I LOVE my weight integrated TUSA Selene BC. I wish it had a double strap for the tank but I do wet the strap before fastening and have not had any slippage problems. Since the topic of the thread is Regulators, I will also mention that I enjoy diving with my Sherwood Maximus as well.

Good luck with finding gear that works well for you!!! :lmao:
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#45 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

Weight integrated BCs are a PITA to deal with with the weights in them.  I also think it's a PITA to take out the weights before switching tanks and replacing them after.  A weight belt is much easier for me.

Look for a BC without padding and cummerbunds.  That merely adds drag.  I personally use a Scubapro Classic Sport.  It's streamlined, doesn't trap air, tank strap won't slip and is not weight integrated.

ScubaPro Classic Sport, huh? All the ones in my local dive shop have cummerbunds, I think, and they all definitely have integrated weights. I think they are SeaQuest or something. They give a good deal if you buy all your stuff as a package there ($100 store credit, $150 off package price, and $100 credit toward trips). However, I want to get gear I can live with for a while. I saw one instructor had a BC with double straps. Is this any more secure? Who makes them?

I am still torn between weight belts and integrated weights with a BC. I like the idea of soft weight packets. I've worn the weight belt for my first dives in Nassau. They weren't so bad, but that's just another piece of gear I'm going to have to remember, right?

I can practically guarantee that they sell Seaquest as they sell Suunto computers. Aqualung is the distributor for both. Let me guess (looking at your avatar), they are likely to try to sell you a Diva LX. This is a good BC for females (a female actually designed from what I understand).

The Suunto computers are a good line as well. They are very reliable and conservative (which is a good thing IMHO if you are flying to and from your diving desination).

I just had to buy a new recreational BC (as my Labrador chewed a hole in the old one and they don't patch well, LOL). The new integrated weight system does appear to be vastly improved from the old velcro that I bought in 2002.

Having said that, shop around for gear and buy what works for you! Just because someone else likes it doesn't mean that you will. Enjoy the shopping!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users