• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Air travel then diving

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:57 AM

I have always heard of waiting awhile before flying on high altitude jets after diving and there has been a many thread about this and of course in dive training books also. I dont beleive I have read or heard about diving right after flying ? what is the rule of thumb on it. Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:24 AM

There isn't a pressure related problem. OTOH, it is very easy to become dehydrated while traveling. Hydrate before diving.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:32 AM

I have an article in one of my journals that I meant to send to NP for verification of facts and I have been busy.

It points out two things. The recycled air in plane cabins is quite a bit dryer than desert air. Realistically, we should be asking for water when they come around with the drink cart or bring our own water bottle. As someone pointed out to me yesterday, we are typically dehydrated in any case over the normal course of our lives due to the other options that most of us choose for drinks over plain 'ole water.

The other factor is the increased recycling of the air can lead to issues with people picking up germs and that type of thing from other passengers. The article does not mention a "rule of thumb" as much as common sense.

Yet again, the sage Walter is correct. I just thought that I would elaborate a bit.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:53 AM

I read a lot.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:07 AM

I read a lot.

Gee, we thought it was from clean living. :teeth:

Now you're giving your secrets away, O' wise one. :teeth:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:45 AM

It points out two things.  The recycled air in plane cabins is quite a bit dryer than desert air.  Realistically, we should be asking for water when they come around with the drink cart or bring our own water bottle.  As someone pointed out to me yesterday, we are typically dehydrated in any case over the normal course of our lives due to the other options that most of us choose for drinks over plain 'ole water.

Actually, if it was all recycled air, it'd be pretty humid from mutual respiration - as that's one way we lose water in our bodies. The air that is blended in with the recycled cabin air is from outside - at 35,000 feet, which has virtually no humidity to it. Airlines don't add humidifieds to their planes as that would add weight and costs, so - breathing this dry air in and humid air out (just like we do on Scuba tanks) dehydrates us. Therefore, it's best to hydrate on planes.

The other factor is the increased recycling of the air can lead to issues with people picking up germs and that type of thing from other passengers. 

Yep, that's the only real danger to air travel.

As far as landing, then diving, I know of no evidence or warnings. I activated a computer once on a flight from Dallas to San Juan PR, and the increase of pressure coming down made the puter think it was a 5 foot dive - that tracked for 2 hours before the puter turned off.

Edited by DandyDon, 27 April 2004 - 11:47 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#7 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:26 PM

Up late the night before trying to find fins, wetsuit, computer, C-card. Not much sleep thinking about how fun the diving vacation will be. Miss breakfast cause it's an early flight. Grab a cup of coffee on the drive to the airport. Aircraft dry air is a relatively minor, but true factor. Sitting in one place for 2-4 hours (or sometimes 6-12) is not good for circulation, and the tissues need some time to recover. Not much fluid intake on the plane. Get to the destination, standing in the sun waiting for luggage, customs, transportation, stand in line to check in, one fruit punch drink in the lobby if in the caribbean, then rushing to get wet. Excited about getting in the water. Too much weight, too many pizzas in the past (why is this wet suit so tight?). Who is this person assigned as my dive buddy? I wonder if he/ she is paying attention to me. breathing faster than normally. I wonder why my bouancy is off. Must have been a short fill, I can't have used up this much air already. I have to pee.

Good question, Mike. Diving after flying is all about timing. Remember the diver's corollary to the boy scout motto Be Prepared? It's "Be rested, be hydrated, be focused."

Edited by Giant Kelpfish, 27 April 2004 - 09:30 PM.

Diving; My zen space.

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:23 PM

Up late the night before trying to find fins, wetsuit, computer, C-card. Not much sleep thinking about how fun the diving vacation will be. Miss breakfast cause it's an early flight. Grab a cup of coffee on the drive to the airport. Aircraft dry air is a relatively minor, but true factor. Sitting in one place for 2-4 hours (or sometimes 6-12) is not good for circulation, and the tissues need some time to recover. Not much fluid intake on the plane. Get to the destination, standing in the sun waiting for luggage, customs, transportation, stand in line to check in, one fruit punch drink in the lobby if in the caribbean, then rushing to get wet. Excited about getting in the water. Too much weight, too many pizzas in the past (why is this wet suit so tight?). Who is this person assigned as my dive buddy? I wonder if he/ she is paying attention to me. breathing faster than normally. I wonder why my bouancy is off. Must have been a short fill, I can't have used up this much air already. I have to pee.

Good question, Mike. Diving after flying is all about timing. Remember the diver's corollary to the boy scout motto Be Prepared? It's "Be rested, be hydrated, be focused."

Actually Doc, I am about to use that concept in a little exercise. I thought about it at work tonight. Stay tuned.

#9 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:03 PM

Ah, a research study in the making. We will await your report, professor Brian.
Diving; My zen space.

#10 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:47 PM

Actually it is ongoing. I have a thread in the general diving section. If it works out, we will have more.

I am researching the possibility of stealing your concepts in this forum and applying it to safe diving in general. It won't be as good as the master's (ie. this forum) :wakawaka: , but it should be informative (and knowing this crew totally perverted in about two days, LOL).

#11 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, Brian. I checked your thread out in General DIving. Great idea. Maybe we could also do a study on the rate of change from innocent informative topic to perverse responses. I think this crowd would rival the speed of sound.
Diving; My zen space.

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

Perverse? Can you believe he said, "perverse?"

I resemble that remark.

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:23 PM

I resemble that remark.

:D Well, Walter- I'm glad you're honest..... :lol:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#14 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 01:16 PM

I resemble that remark.

Walter, it's a good thing there is room in that gutter for all of us. Hope you enjoyed the diving this weekend.
Diving; My zen space.

#15 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:55 PM

Maybe we could also do a study on the rate of change from innocent informative topic to perverse responses. I think this crowd would rival the speed of sound.

in all fairness, you should conduct this study when i'm completely offline (instead of just OUTTA line)...

otherwise your data might be scewed (screwed?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users