• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI Instructor Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

I am curious about the different PADI instructor ratings.

What is the difference between an OWSI and a MSDT?

What qualifications does a PADI instructor need to teach the various Speciality Certs?

I heard a rumor that a PADI instructor can teach a Speciality course without ever having taken that course, is this true?

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Great questions Mike! I hope to have answered them and then some

What is the difference between an OWSI and a MSDT?

There are different levels of instructors based on their training and the number of certifications issued/classes taught.

The first PADI instructor level is OWSI, Open Water Scuba Instructor. An OWSI can train students to become PADI Scuba Divers through Divemasters (as well as the youth programs Bubblemakers and SEAL Team). An OWSI can also teach a few standard specialties as well such as Peak Performance Buoyancy and some Project AWARE specialties.

An MSDT, Master Scuba Diver Trainer, is the next level and is achieved after the OWSI has issued a minimum of 25 certifications and is able to teach a minimum of 5 specialties in addition to those they were able to teach as an OWSI. Also, an MSDT Instructor can sign off on Master Scuba Diver certifications, where an OWSI cannot.

Additional levels beyond MSDT:
An IDCS Instructor, Instructor Development Staff Instructor, is achieved after an MSDT takes an IDCS Instructor course with a PADI Course Director. IDCS Instructors are able to train divers through the Assistant Instructor level.

An MI, Master Instructor, is achieved after an MSDT or IDCS Instructor has been instructing a minimum of 2 years and issues a minimum of 150 certifications in a specified wide variety of certification levels.

A CD, Course Director, is an instructor trainer and is achieved after an MI goes through an application process (too many minimum requirements to list here) and then attends a two week training course (revised per Grant's info) - typically only two classes of CDs are put through a year.
PADI IDCS Instructor #178672

Edited by Dive_Girl, 06 July 2005 - 11:23 PM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

What qualifications does a PADI instructor need to teach the various Specialty Certs?

An instructor can apply to teach a specialty either: a) after attending that specific specialty training course as administered by a Course Director authorized to teach that specialty instructor course and having logged a minimum number of dives in that specialty area being applied for (may range from 10 to 20+ dives); or b) after submitting an application directly to PADI where the instructor verifies that she or he has issued a minimum of 25 certifications and has logged a minimum number of dives in that specialty area being applied for (may range from 20 or more dives)

I heard a rumor that a PADI instructor can teach a Specialty course without ever having taken that course, is this true?

It looks as though that could be true in some circumstances, however, somewhat unlikely in certain specialties. Take Enriched Air (aka Nitrox) for example. A diver needs to hold the Enriched Air certification to dive it and to log dives. So in order for me to apply to teach the Enriched Air Specialty, I have to log a minimum of dives while using Enriched Air - so I must have the training and hold the specialty card in order to dive with Enriched Air thus logging dives. :lmao:

Are there exceptions to this in the case of other types of specialties? As holding the specialty personally is not a requirement to teach it, sure. But keep in mind that the instructor must be able to show proof that have logged 10-20+ dives in that specialty area.* If you have a concern about taking a specialty course (or any course for that matter) from a specific instructor, my suggestion is to talk with your instructor. Ask your instructor if they hold the specialty training personally and evaluate what that means to you.

* do keep in mind some instructors author their own distinctive specialties and thus as they are the instructor creator, they certainly won't hold the specialty themselves, e.g. the Manatee Specialty you can get in Crystal River, or the Pacific Northwest Invertebrate ID Specialty which was for a long time taught by only one instructor in the world, Janna Nichols, my cohort in instructing...etc.
PADI IDCS Instructor #178672

Edited by Dive_Girl, 31 May 2005 - 01:52 PM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:09 PM

Nicolle,

Thanks for the very thorough explaination. The low vis has cleared :teeth:

Mike

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:58 PM

Anytime, sunshine! :teeth: My favorite students? They ones who ask questions!!

#6 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

FYI the Course Director Training Course is two weeks long.

Grant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users