• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Solo Trip to Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Would you also get water in your mouth if you were using an Air2?

#17 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

Would you also get water in your mouth if you were using an Air2?

Y'a might, laddie, y'a might!

:cool1:

(depending on the cause of the problem). If it's a first stage problem, it would be likely... since the intermediate pressure hose goes to the same first stage as your primary. Only a "redundant" rig... with a separate reg would avoid that type of symptom, assuming you don't have TWO regs with a similar problem at the same time. If that is the case... you're having a particularly bad day... and I'd get out of the water! :lmao:

ITB... :diver:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#18 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

I'm the one in the middle, so I'm a lassie. :cool1:

#19 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

If the failure was a first stage problem, it wouldn't matter what second stage you have, it would get water into it. The failure isn't one I am familiar with, but like I said, I'm not an expert. I don't like to rent gear, but I have on occasion. So far, so good. I don't think I would rent any gear in Mexico. Although I have never dived cozumel, from the stories I hear, there just isn't the focus on safety that there would be in the US. This is just another one of those stories that makes me leary.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#20 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

I'm the one in the middle, so I'm a lassie.  :cool1:

Well, that's MORE cool!!! My mistake... I only have seen one of the three of you in film... so I wuzn't sure... and these days... with monikers... I don't make any judgements... :lam:

Guess I should take off my dark glasses so I can see better... :diver:

ITB...

:lmao:

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#21 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

....it's stories like this that make me glad I bring ( 2 ) complete reg sets on all my recreational dive trips (when I dove the caves of Akumal, Mexico in '03 with AL80 'doubles', I brought ( 4 ) reg sets...no kidding! :-)

...sure, it's a slight pain to lug a pair of regs in my carry-on, but I get a nice warm feeling knowing I'll not have to resort to rental regs......I've seen / heard way too many stories such as this one to chance that happening to me.

...I'll bet the only reason the gentleman who started this thread didn't get severely bent / killed was it must have happened early in the dive, before a significant deco obligation had accumulated..........had he been at 90 ft. for 30 min or 45 min prior to the event, or had this happen on a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th dive of the day, I doubt he'd be here with us today.

Karl

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:12 AM

I sincerely hope folks with 8 dives aren't diving to 90 feet for 45 minutes.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:12 AM

I sincerely hope folks with 8 dives aren't diving to 90 feet for 45 minutes.

Hopefully not at 90 feet... but we know it happens all the time at dive resorts.

45 minutes??? Well, most people think of dive time now as "computer" time... over a multi-level profile... (or in the "tech sense", allowing for deco). Once out of the OW classes, most people these days lose sight of the "square profile limits" of the tables. :( 45 minutes actually at 90 feet would put someone squarely into underwater deco... (in a sense, all dives are "deco-dives", we just manage recreational dives within a time frame that allows us to come to the surface by controlling our ascent rate and then further decompressing during our surface interval).

It is wise to not put forth too many references on a recreational board to things tech/cave divers are doing in a way that may confuse recreational divers into trying to do things they don't have a full understanding of... Tech diving is exciting and "safe" only when practiced according to the extensive training and "practice" required. But, these things should not be practiced by people without proper experience and training. "Safe" is a relative term. When you have required "deco", it is a "ceiling" over your head preventing you from reaching the surface without SIGNIFICANT risk of serious problems, including death. For an extreme example of this, read "The Last Dive", by Bernie Chowdury <sp?>

I don't mean to sound like I'm chastising anyone for their posts here, but I'm trying to add context for newer divers so they don't misunderstand the posts.

We've all made "learning curve" mistakes... and most of us have had little serious consequence from them other than to hopefully learn from them. However, I have known people to have more serious consequences too. I like the fact that this board takes a more reasonable approach to responding to peoples' mistakes than most, and that we don't usually kill the messenger... and the experience of the board helps people learn from those learning curve "blips". :welcome:

ITB... :diver:

#24 nuroc

nuroc

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for all of the input ITB, Walter, Karl. It wasn't clear to me why I didn't get bent. I know some of the factors involved limited bottom time (10-15 minutes) and the fact that this was my first dive of the day. I also swam up fast rather than shooting up like a corkscrew and dropping weight or inflating. Some of the dm's at the resort said that being fit also came into play.
In this scenario, how many minutes on the bottom would have necessitated safety stops?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for" j. sheed

#25 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:43 AM

In this scenario, how many minutes on the bottom would have necessitated safety stops?

Safety stops are always optional by definition. Staged decompression stops are required. I don't have the tables handy, but the NDL for 90 feet is approximately 25 minutes. When I started diving the NDL for 90 feet was 30 minutes and there were no safety stops. At 90 feet with a 10 - 15 minute bottom time, I wouldn't expect you to get bent, although a rapid ascent could push you over.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#26 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

I sure don't have the expeirence that these other guys posting here do but I do know that a "safety stop" is just that...It's not a neccessity stop....bottom time and depth can necessitate one or more decompression stops....Those can be determined by consulting your tables for depth and time when planning your dive.

Just saw Walter already answered the q in, of course, Walters more concise way.... Took me some extra time as I had to go to the dictionary to spell neccessity! :welcome:
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#27 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:22 AM

Sorry to say, from that depth I would be just as concerned with air embolism as DCS. In the last fifteen to thirty ft., if you aren't breathing out, it can get rather ugly.

And up here, many boats and operations would still put you on pure O2 for a while just as a precaution.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#28 nomosolodiver

nomosolodiver

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Logged Dives:around 500 lost count!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:08 PM

Hi, I am brand new here (to the board, but not diving). Sorry your trip didnt turn out so well, maybe you will have a better experience the next time.

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:51 AM

ITB is right, I meant my octopus. It wasn't a trickle. It was a 90 foot assent, not 90 feet per minute. It was also my 8th dive overall and the first in over a year. I didn't have a designated buddy, we were put in two groups. I came home a day early because I had had enough of cozumel and the crap equipment they rent to you; too bad I didn't have my own bc. The amateur divemasters onboard thought it was a faulty o-ring.

I was also a little ticked to start because I had booked my trip through the moderator of this webiste. I had no transfers, as promised. I wouldn't recommend Hotel Cozumel for a solo diver. Last time I book a trip through an amateur travel site.

Thanks for the concern and feedback. I'd like to find out the possibilities of what went wrong with the equipment. One more thing, the octopus had the same result as the regulator when I pulled it....no trickle...a lot of water coming in. And I purged, a lot.

Hi. I have not been active her in a while, but this is just too much...

This just sounds sloppy. Too many Cozumel operators are just too interested in raking in the dollars from the steady flow of tourists, operating away from the oversight of US regulations, renting out marginal equipment, etc. Regs and BCs are the two most sensitive pieces of equipment for diver safety, and I see you had problems with the typical cheap Coz BCs, too.

For a brand new diver, I can't see that you made any mistakes in your planning. Sometimes we have bad trips and learn from the experiences. I am glad you lived to do so and were uninjured. 200 dives later, I'm still a fumbling diver, but I am learning. I own both of my reg sets, I have them serviced by a local whom I know well and trust, and like Rich - I even go so far as to carry a pony.

Good luck on owning and maintaining your own kit. I screw up on my own enough that I don't need to take extra chances with junk equipment.

And good luck on diving with better operators. I've tried several in Coz, but only one I would suggest to a newbie. If she's booked up - which she often is, I ask her to refer a competitor worth trusting.

And next time someone gives you a cheap bid offer, ask how much more it would cost to do it right.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#30 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

.... Took me some extra time as I had to go to the dictionary to spell neccessity! :birthday:

:birthday: Wow ... and what dictionary are you using?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users