• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Left Behind or Just Lost - Floating Alone?!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:26 PM

It should never happen, but it does. DAN will furnish Dive Tags for free, but hardly any boat has them, less using them. You get seperated from your buddy, or solo diving {some of us do}; you don't find your way back to the mooring line or you get swept out by current, and do a free ascent; and in the husttle-busttle onboard, you are not missed until later.

What do you carry on every dive...?

What else do you do...?

I thought it happened to me once, and the first thing I did was get mad at everyone onboard, but that didn't help. Got picked up by a six-pack of Okies, and they voted me off of the boat, but - my boat showed up.

You're in six foot seas. Now what...?
:lmao:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#2 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:20 PM

l have a permanent dive alert attached to low pressure inflator, plus my water weinie <safety sausage>. lt came in useful on a rippin drift dive...l was with a student and was at 60', where the current was about 1.5 knots...down at 90 though, where the rest of the group was, was goin about 4 knots...needless to say, the boat was about a mile away. 6' safety sausage and dive alerts had us picked up within 10 minutes on the surface :diver: :D
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 April 2004 - 02:24 AM

I am old fashioned. I have a whistle and safety sausage. I should get something shiny to use as a signal mirror, but I haven't gotten around to it.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:52 AM

I have a safety sausage made of plastic which is about 10 feet long when inflated and a dive alert as well as an old AOL CD for signaling. Best use I've found for those AOL CD's they keep sending to you. I had to use the sausage and dive alert when I was in Belize. My buddy and I surfaced to locate the boat and he was unable to descend again due to ear problems so we signaled for a pickup.

Did anybody see the article yesterday about the diver who was stranded in CA for over 4 hours after the boat he was diving on left with out him? Boy did that sound like a screw up.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:36 AM

I am old fashioned. I have a whistle and safety sausage. I should get something shiny to use as a signal mirror, but I haven't gotten around to it.

See chinacat's suggetion for something shiny! Also D-Don did the same thing on one of my NC trips...I'll be doing the same for SD trips as well! But I think I'll bypass AOL and go directly to some cool label for SD. Anyone able to do imprinting on cd's that won't wash off???? If so I need you!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:48 AM

Wow. You all have big sausages. Mine's only a little one. :fish2: Perhaps I should get an enlargement done.
Other than a safety sausage, I have a dive alert, a whistle and usually carry an old cd for signalling. As chinacat46 said, it's a great use for all the ones AOL send!!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:00 AM

Wow. You all have big sausages. Mine's only a little one. :hiya: Perhaps I should get an enlargement done.

I think that would be wise around here!! :fish2:

And for the ocean too!!! Notice how even the Cozy DM's had BIG sausages and their signaling devices were pretty big too! (Just so you know I got that information from several reliable sources...unfortunately I was not able to verify it first hand! Or with any hand for that matter! ) :dance:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

Personal experience! Diving in Tobago, dive site Diver's Dream (now known as Diver's Nightmare). This is an open water uplift site 60-80', currents typically run 2-4 knots (can be more). We dive out of small fishing boats, entries are backroll. I was out with 4 German divers, dive master I knew well, and boat driver. The divemaster carries a float for the boat driver to follow. We enter without air in the BC, and kick for the bottom due to the current. Upon entry, one of the German girls dumped her weight belt. I was the only one that made it to the bottom. I hung out for a minute or two and then started up. Bottom current ran one way, surface current ran the other way. When I surfaced there was no boat. I deployed a 10 foot safety sausage and started blowing my whistle between waves. I took about an hour for them to locate me. They heard the whistle first. The 10 foot safety sausage was only effective once they got relatively close. I think a Dive Alert air horn is a good thing to have in these conditions. A pocket parachute on a spool could also work as it can get well up above the waves. Most mirror type devices will only be effective in flat water. I also carry a high powered compact strobe that can be attached to my Halcyon Super Sausage.

By the way, on a site like this, the only way to dive it safely is with two divemasters. One has to lead and always go to the bottom with a float. The other brings up the rear in case anyone has trouble. I now carry the float if I dive this site.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#9 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:04 AM

I found an article on the web where several different kinds of markers/signal devices were tested in the UK. It's a bit long but I think worth the read. I found the results quite interesting.

signalling device tests

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:44 PM

I found an article on the web where several different kinds of markers/signal devices were tested in the UK. It's a bit long but I think worth the read. I found the results quite interesting.

signalling device tests

Diverlady

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this with us.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 02:58 PM

Did anybody see the article yesterday about the diver who was stranded in CA for over 4 hours after the boat he was diving on left with out him? Boy did that sound like a screw up.

Yeah, that's what got me to thinking...

I'm big on redundancy and just-in-case stuff, and my new BC has two big pockets and 4 small ones, so I can haul too much if I'm not careful. I carry:

2 flashlights, even on day dives, so if it gets dark, I can keep flashing.

2 sausages - a 10 foot lightweight, and if it breaks, a regular 8 foot one.

2 whistles - a Dive Alert, and in case I'm out of air - a Storm whistel

2 CDs glued back to back

And I'll be prepared to drop weights to float higher. No one else think of that? Not right away, but if I'm not found soon, and I've got 20# or more I can ditch, then I can float higher in the water - easier to see.

Edited by DandyDon, 30 April 2004 - 02:59 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#12 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:59 PM

I have a 7 ft safety sausage attached to the lower dump valve on my BC....I went ahead and did it for a few reasons, the first being that I never use that dump valve, and this way I can have it deployed hands free (it's strapped onto my wing). I also have a 7 ft rolled up in a pouch....it generally stays in my dive back unless I need it. I do have a whistle attached to my BC as well. I hadn't thought about the cd's as a signal device.....that's a good one!

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:51 AM

I hadn't thought about the cd's as a signal device.....that's a good one!

Me either ... does that work in real life?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#14 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 01 May 2004 - 04:44 AM

Jamie,

I have no doubts that it would work as well as an actual signal mirror. All something needs to be is shiny and darn near indestructable. That pretty well describes those CD's.

Like Dr. Bill, I have diving to be done. I'll be down to Whitestar Quarry getting a guy used to his brand new drysuit this weekend. Have fun y'all and don't do anything that I wouldn't do!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:30 PM

All something needs to be is shiny and darn near indestructable. That pretty well describes those CD's.

Oh, yeah - they break. That's part of why I glue 2 together back to back. When they do break, though, ti's still not as bad as a glass mirror...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users