• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Left Behind or Just Lost - Floating Alone?!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:58 PM

I hadn't thought about the cd's as a signal device.....that's a good one!

Me either ... does that work in real life?

Real life diving or real life living?????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 May 2004 - 01:12 PM

does that work in real life?

I decided to test this, so last night about midnight, I went outside with a buddy and tried to signal with the CD. It was useless.

OK, seriously, they do work, but not always and not everywhere. Conditions must be right. They are also a tad more difficult to use than you might suspect. It takes a little practice.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 diveguy101

diveguy101

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Cert Level:just begining
  • Logged Dives:0, snorkeled Sombrero Reef in Key West

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

Wouldn't it be best to find your way back to shore knowing what direction your headed using a compass? If you follow the compass heading out you will find land right? That's my guess.

#19 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

Wouldn't it be best to find your way back to shore knowing what direction your headed using a compass? If you follow the compass heading out you will find land right? That's my guess.

You cannot fight against ocean currents for long, even if you know what direction land is in. The ocean is very powerful.
Posted Image

#20 Coral

Coral

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:61

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

DAN (Divers Alert Network) makes a name identity tag with a mirror on the back that is submersible that you can attach to your BC.

Jessica aka Coral

#21 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

You might try this if you are training for the Ironman Triathlon. If successful, you might shatter the record for the swim time in the event

#22 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

As Tammy points out below the ocean is BIG and if your 2 or 3 miles or so from shore,with current thats a long swim.I admit,that has always been something in the back of my brain.The Coz current caught me on the trip ,whn i was there.So ,I did what was learned in class and that is try to swim perpindicular from it.Watch which way your bubbles travel.Anyway hope your OW is progressing well.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#23 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

I am old fashioned. I have a whistle and safety sausage. I should get something shiny to use as a signal mirror, but I haven't gotten around to it.

See chinacat's suggetion for something shiny! Also D-Don did the same thing on one of my NC trips...I'll be doing the same for SD trips as well! But I think I'll bypass AOL and go directly to some cool label for SD. Anyone able to do imprinting on cd's that won't wash off???? If so I need you!!

I have a starflash mirror which is purposely made as a signal. Let me look into getting a phone number for the manufacturer. That would make a great SingleDivers.com signal mirror. They make several sizes and the one I use is credit card size with instructions printed on the back. It came with a long cord so you can tie it off and not lose it.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

I am old fashioned. I have a whistle and safety sausage. I should get something shiny to use as a signal mirror, but I haven't gotten around to it.

See chinacat's suggetion for something shiny! Also D-Don did the same thing on one of my NC trips...I'll be doing the same for SD trips as well! But I think I'll bypass AOL and go directly to some cool label for SD. Anyone able to do imprinting on cd's that won't wash off???? If so I need you!!

I have a starflash mirror which is purposely made as a signal. Let me look into getting a phone number for the manufacturer. That would make a great SingleDivers.com signal mirror. They make several sizes and the one I use is credit card size with instructions printed on the back. It came with a long cord so you can tie it off and not lose it.

Please do! We always need something else for our limited inventory and of course if we make penny or two that doesn't hurt either! Gotta weather the storm so we can keep offering great dive trips!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#25 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

Last summer I followed a link Capn Jack recommended:

www.ultimatesurvival.com
phone is (866) 479-7994

They are located in Robinson, TX (near Waco) and ship very quickly.

UP Diver
:thankyou:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#26 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

CDs are good but they don't last long - the "silvering" comes off. Make sure before each dive that it's still functional and keep a couple of spares dry in your bag.

I'm a firm believer in a good DSMB, but it's best to deploy it well before you're going to surface so the boat has a chance to see you. The other thing that some people don't realise - if you're on a dive and someone in your group does deploy a DSMB, make sure you all surface right by it. Assuming the boat captain does see it, it'll be a lot easier for everyone if he only has one group of divers to pick up. Oh, and while I'm on the subject, if the sea is other than like a calm swimming pool don't try to swim to the boat. All divers on the surface get together and wait for the boat to come to you. Nothing is worse for a boat captain approaching a group to find some of them break off and start swimming towards the boat - he then has a tricky job getting close to the group without running anyone down.

#27 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

Okay, need help, what's DSMB? (I've probably asked before but when I was young I was definitely :thankyou: !)

#28 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

DSMB = Dive surface marker bouy aka a larger version of a safety sausage.. Think the oms versions in 5' 9' or 16' tall.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#29 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Actually in Britain the "D" stands for "Delayed" - ie. you send it up from the bottom (on a line fed from a reel). A decent one has ample buoyancy for use as an ascent platform. Our convention is red for a normal ascent, and yellow if you have a problem and want help.

I don't think the OMS one quite reaches 16ft long!

#30 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Actually in Britain the "D" stands for "Delayed" - ie. you send it up from the bottom (on a line fed from a reel). A decent one has ample buoyancy for use as an ascent platform. Our convention is red for a normal ascent, and yellow if you have a problem and want help.

I don't think the OMS one quite reaches 16ft long!

I had to check the OMS website - and was amazed to find out they do in fact have one that's 16'

BCA - 268-16
SMB/Float
with SOLAS Reflective Tape and Oral inflator
16' (488 cm) L

I HAVE to have one. Talk about compensating for my equipment shortcomings.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users