• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Some advice I got from a friend of mine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:50 AM

I was lamenting the fact that I initiate most of the email & phone conversations with this guy I met online. Anyway, this is her response, which I thought was quite prescient:

you have been around long enough to know that in 90% of male-female conversations - the female starts them! The only time a guy will start one is if he thinks it will lead to getting laid. And since this guy is in a galaxy far far away, he aint gonna initiate anything, LOL!

All I can say is :lmao:

#2 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

I was lamenting the fact that I initiate most of the email & phone conversations with this guy I met online. Anyway, this is her response, which I thought was quite prescient:

His or her???

Frankly getting laid is the last of my concerns. It's been so long... but I digress. I try to start conversations but it seems to no avail. Either the ladies are repulsed by me, humour me or (if I'm lucky) they end up thinking I am "just a good friend". As a result I have sort of given up looking for much in terms of a relationship. My motto (sort of) is "If anything will happen, it'll happen...." Very Zen huh?
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#3 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:15 AM

The trick is balance. If you start too many of the conversations, you're a pest. If you don't start enough, you're not interested..... :lmao:

BLD: I think you're being too hard on yourself... but I like your motto. My twist is "if it's meant to be it will be - you can't push or pull it - and sometimes timing is everything".

#4 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

BLD: I think you're being too hard on yourself... but I like your motto. My twist is "if it's meant to be it will be - you can't push or pull it - and sometimes timing is everything".

Nah... not too hard... as a science teacher I can say that I have empirical data and my hypothesis (that I can't figure out women) has been proven correct. :lmao:

I like your twist! :cool1:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

Sassy Rabbit said it and BLD hinted at it.

It isn't about getting laid. I have given up on that pursuit, LOL!

It is about being a pest. If the woman initiates conversation, I know that she wants a response. If I initiate conversation, I quickly become someone that is trying too hard. Normally, I am real good about answering e-mails, phone calls, etc. from a woman that I am trying to date in VERY short order once I receive them. I can think of one or two exceptions, but I will keep that to myself.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

And if he flew across the galaxy to meet you that would be considered cute and romantic in the movies but in real life it's called stalking, we walk a fine line!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:37 AM

And if he flew across the galaxy to meet you that would be considered cute and romantic in the movies but in real life it's called stalking, we walk a fine line!

and it ain't fine if you cross it!

SD's Aussie Connection.

#8 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

The gender generalization aside. Was it a guy or girl you were chatting with on line. I'm trying to figure out if it was one of our team giving up secrets or a clever spy.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

You're doing it wrong, Brian. Moderation. Be funny! Be funny! Be confident. Don't be arrogant. If you follow those simple rules, you won't be a pest.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:04 AM

Reason #2 for not initiating phone calls (and this is an apology to friends that I do this to)...

When someone works an off-shift straight, their "available time" and your "work time" may not coincide well. For example...

I work second shift straight. Often (at least this year), I am working two weekends in a row on this schedule which adds up to 12, 19, or even 26 days when I am really not available to call anybody before I get a couple of days off. When I am working, my "available time" is the morning. Most people are working then or getting ready for work. Most people would not be happy with me calling after 11:00 pm although when I was actively dating, I would do this once in a while by appointment with the lady that I was seeing.

The fact of the matter is that I am not really on the market at the this time and I am cool with that. I have to get some things squared away with me first. In the meantime, I have my job and my diving. That is more than enough to allow me to keep busy and make myself more ready to meet that special someone.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#11 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

Not always :cool1:

And, hey, Brian...e-mail. That usually works 24/7
"

#12 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

OK. My friend who gave me the advice, that men don't initiate unless they want to get laid, was a woman. She was talking about the guy I met online, who does live in another state. So actually, they're both online friends, but only one would I consider a "friend," KWIM?

There's no shift work involved, but he does sound a lot like Brian. :cool1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users