• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fending Off Attack

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:49 AM

Although the incident rate of sharks attacking divers is extremely low, 61 unprovoked attacks in 2004, according to this article on The Florida Museam of Natural History website, it's probably a good idea to review some information & stratagies just in case. Here's a link to an article on the same site, Advice to Divers Encountering a Shark, that I found interesting.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:33 AM

That WAS interesting. Especially the part about not being a passive victim after an attack.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#3 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for posting that. I saw the poke'em in the nose strategy demonstrated on a PBS science program many years ago and it really stuck in my head. The divers had simple poles. But I haven't heard that technique re-iterated, though I've actually been keeping my eye out for it recently.

Most advice wrt shark danger that I've come across is a list of do-nots to avoid attracting attention (and the advice seems to be introduced often like this: "This is what to do when you encounter aggressive sharks...but actually, we're not going to tell you what to do then, instead we'll give advice on how to avoid an encounter and be silent on what you might want to try if a shark decides to attack you anyway.").

Certainly avoiding a confrontation is the best strategy, but it's nice to know some behavioral strategies should that fail for whatever reason.

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:59 AM

That's mostly good information, but I would change a few things.

If a shark is sighted, stay calm and maintain your position in as quiet a manner as possible.

I would not recommend remaining motionless, unless you want a close look. Hanging motionless tends to bring them in for a closer look.

Let it have it - no catch is worth the risk of personal injury.

Personal choice, but unless the shark is extremely aggressive, I don't believe it's a good idea to feed sharks.

If you are in open water, orient back-to-back with your dive partner and gradually rise to the surface and the safety of your boat.

Don't surface until you are under the boat. A surface swim with aggressive sharks under you is a bad idea.

Additionally, swimming toward the shark will usually cause it to leave.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

Hanging motionless tends to bring them in for a closer look.

This makes me wonder how we moving divers feel to sharks and fish along their lateral-line. With our independent fins moving in opposite directions in close turbulent proximity, it may be quite unique. Any other sea creature create that kind of stir? Most streamlined swimmers seem to have a single-fin at their rear. Turtles fins are separated quite a lot more. Octopus, cuttlefish, jellyfish and squid seem like they would be quite different too.

#6 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the links. Very interesting reading.

#7 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:31 PM

Don't surface until you are under the boat. A surface swim with aggressive sharks under you is a bad idea.

Additionally, swimming toward the shark will usually cause it to leave.

I couldn't agree more and from a first hand experience, it works. :diver:
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#8 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:43 PM

Let it have it - no catch is worth the risk of personal injury.

Personal choice, but unless the shark is extremely aggressive, I don't believe it's a good idea to feed sharks.

Walter, I don't agree that you are "feeding the shark." In my opinion what they are suggesting is not carring the thing that is probably attracting the shark, namely your catch. If it's between giving the shark your catch of the day or getting bit I would vote for giving up your catch.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#9 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:33 AM

Don't remain motionless, that and avoiding eye contact is what photographers do to bring them in close for better pictures.
I met a California MS principle in Fiji who had been mugged by a shark showing aggressive behaviour, it took repeated hits on the nose with some very expensive camera gear before it left her alone. She is hoping to sell the pictures to Shark Diver magazine.

Attached Images

• a3.jpg

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

If it's between giving the shark your catch of the day or getting bit I would vote for giving up your catch.

No argument, but sharks rarely get that aggressive. The article said:

If a shark is sighted, ........................ If you have been spearfishing or abalone gathering and are holding your catch, release the catch and quietly exit the area.

While there are situations in which I would drop my catch, merely seeing a shark isn't one of them
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

Marvel, thanks for the interesting link.

#12 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

If a shark is sighted, ........................ If you have been spearfishing or abalone gathering and are holding your catch, release the catch and quietly exit the area.

While there are situations in which I would drop my catch, merely seeing a shark isn't one of them

Agreed. I was reading into it the "Aggressive" part. that said I would certainly keep an eye on the shark just to be sure it didn't become aggressive.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#13 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:07 PM

Interesting information!

#14 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

Marvel, thanks for the interesting link.

Your welcome! Pretty good info, especially in light of the recent attacks. Although divers are rarely attacked, hearing of one (& now 2) certainly tends to raise many peoples' anxiety levels a little. So, it's good to take a look at some stratagies- just in case! :thankyou:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#15 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:50 PM

I always hear the olde mermaids tale of biting the sharks nose to make him go away and leave you alone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users