• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Rescue Diver Training

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

In a couple of months, I intend to go for my Recue Diver card (I'll have had my CPR and First Aid ticket punched by the Red Cross before then).

For those of you who have gone through this training (NAUI), what was the most challenging aspect, and what should I expect in this training? :lmao:

PlatypusMan

..due to technical difficulties, glorious Platypiivision is offline. Please Stand By.

#2 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:01 PM

In a couple of months, I intend to go for my Recue Diver card (I'll have had my CPR and First Aid ticket punched by the Red Cross before then).

For those of you who have gone through this training (NAUI), what was the most challenging aspect, and what should I expect in this training? :lmao:

PlatypusMan

..due to technical difficulties, glorious Platypiivision is offline. Please Stand By.

First of all, good move on getting the Rescue Diver cert. I personally feel it is the most useful of all the certs.

Most challenging aspect for me was the mock rescue. The "victim" was a young, very pretty blonde DM that I had to "simulate" giving artificial respiration to by putting my hand over her mouth, then kissing the back of my hand. So close, yet so far!
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#3 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:38 AM

For those of you who have gone through this training (NAUI), what was the most challenging aspect, and what should I expect in this training?   :lmao:

PlatypusMan

I can't speak to the NAUI version, but the PADI Rescue Diver course was fantastic, best course I've taken yet. Should be required for everyone at some point..... If the NAUI version is anything like PADI's, it'll kick your butt. If you don't exercise regularly, you might want to start now so you don't get exhausted by having to "rescue" your fellow divers over and over again. We were in the water for about 9 hours two days in a row......

And I can't hold back any longer.... what on earth is Platypiivision?

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:50 AM

that's glorious Platypiivision!

Platypiivision is a unique way of visually seeing the world through the eyes of an Extreme Monotreme. The system is damaged right now due to the loss of the glorious Platypiivision Digital Video/Still camera. A replacement DV camera is in the works, so that once again local HHs and other dive-related events can start finding themselves to the SD board.

PlatypusMan

Posted Image
DPV Naturally!

#5 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:34 PM

My advice is put some thought into your partner. I ended up pulling a girl on to the beach and she had to weigh 250 lbs. Three times. Atleast now I know that I can pull just about anybody out of the water.
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#6 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:43 PM

that's glorious Platypiivision!

Platypiivision is a unique way of visually seeing the world through the eyes of an Extreme Monotreme. The system is damaged right now due to the loss of the glorious Platypiivision Digital Video/Still camera. A replacement DV camera is in the works, so that once again local HHs and other dive-related events can start finding themselves to the SD board.

PlatypusMan

Posted Image
DPV Naturally!

Okay, so that explanation helped me not at all...... Can you try again for us monotreme-challenged individuals??

#7 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

Okay, so that explanation helped me not at all...... Can you try again for us monotreme-challenged individuals??

Tonto Mode /ON

Camera stolen. Until replaced, cannot upload any event pics. Cannot take any event pics. Replacing soon.

Tonto Mode /OFF

Platypusman---AWAAAAAAY!!!!!!

#8 mongoose

mongoose

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Training Assistant
  • Logged Dives:110

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

For those of you who have gone through this training (NAUI), what was the most challenging aspect, and what should I expect in this training? :taz:

PlatypusMan

I thought you got CPR & F/A as part of the NAUI course... am I wrong?
Kerry Thomas

My opinions, philosophy, and outlook on life are mine and, as such, are only a perfect fit for me.

#9 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:27 PM

I would agree with the above members and there thoughts about how rewarding and useful the rescue diver course is. for me the toughest part was towing 90 meters the unreponsive diver to shore , removing there dive gear while doing CPR breaths threw the snorkel every 5 seconds the whole time. then using the Packstrap carry to bring them to shore. then yelling at the top of my lungs

somebody call for Pizza !

nobody wants a dive accident...but you will be more comfortable in knowing what to do if one happens.

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#10 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

I thought you got CPR & F/A as part of the NAUI course... am I wrong?

I think it varies shop by shop.

PlatypusMan

#11 Goin'Down

Goin'Down

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:08 PM

Definately the best class I have taken so far. The last day during the "mock" rescue will kick your butt if you dont have STRONG teamwork (if your working with a team). We had about 8 different divers helping put us through hell. Very rewarding though.

Also, watch out for the divers with back inflate BC's... thats all I will warn you about.

#12 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

I have a back inflate. What do you have to look out for? I'm seriously thinking of taking this course. But first, I have to either
1)buy a digital camera, housing and strobe or
2)get my cat's teeth cleaned.

#13 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

I have a back inflate. What do you have to look out for? I'm seriously thinking of taking this course. But first, I have to either
1)buy a digital camera, housing and strobe or
2)get my cat's teeth cleaned.

Get rid of the cat and that will solve your problem... :teeth:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#14 Goin'Down

Goin'Down

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

There is nothing to worry about if you have the back inflate. The person doing the rescue has the worries.

#15 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

There is nothing to worry about if you have the back inflate.  The person doing the rescue has the worries.

actually, there are advantages to back inflate if you know how to "leverage" the person you're rescuing. Of course equipment removal is easier when you can unbuckle "fastex" buckles and just pull it away... but with back flotation, it usually makes it easier to keep the head/mouth above water and you swim them in gear, especially if they are in warm fresh water without neoprene on to float their body. It is important to know how to best deflate the back inflate unit just before trying to remove it, so eyeball the back inflate systems and ask questions about them before hand (as you should regarding any unfamiliar gear).

Overall, just pay attention to YOUR instructor and let him/her provide you the direction for how they want you to do it! It's all easy enough... with a little practice! If unsure how to do a particular piece of equipment, just ask the instructor to demo... :diver: Enjoy!!!

ITB... :welcome:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users