• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SSI Certifications

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stingray1

Stingray1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

Has anyone heard if SSI is as good as PADI and if SSI (Dive Con and Instructor level) is acceptable training to work at resorts?
Phyllis

#2 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:49 AM

As an SSI DiveCon, I do have some experience with them. Personally, I think that their standards are right up there when applied properly.

Now, the problem with using SSI certs to get a job at a resort is that SSI requires their professionals to be affiliated with an SSI shop or charter. So, if your resort area does not have many SSI shops, you would have trouble finding work. Most of the instructors that I run into from the tropics are PADI or NAUI where they can teach independently in a pinch for work.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#3 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:02 AM

I would whole heartedly support what DB says above.

SSI is a great program (they all are - and they all have their pros and cons) - I've heard their DiveCon program is very thorough.

PADI and NAUI (with PADI probably leading the way somewhat) are most recognized in resorts. Partially a function of the way the organization is structured (as DB mentions, SSI is affiliated with a shop usually), and partially a function of marketing.

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

PADI and NAUI (with PADI probably leading the way somewhat) are most recognized in resorts.

PADI is by far the most common certification, but it is no more recognized than NAUI, SSI or many others.

SSI is affiliated with a shop usually

SSI professionals are required to be affiliated with a shop.

Has anyone heard if SSI is as good as PADI

That implies a value judgement and makes it a subjective (opinion) response. As good as in what way? If you are referring to a particular class, that will depend on the individual instructors involved. If you are asking about marketing, PADI is hard to beat. If you are referring to published standards, it's hard to not be at least as good as PADI.

and if SSI (Dive Con and Instructor level) is acceptable training to work at resorts?

Of course, but remember SSI Dive Cons have to be affiliated with an SSI shop.

A better question is what are you personally trying to accomplish and which agency will fit you best from a philosophical stand point? If you have a poor fit, you will not be happy.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

I was certified by SSI up to my Master Diver Certification, I also have a Padi Nitrox Certification. I think it matters more on the instructor and the individual diver rather then the actual agency. I learned from different instructors within SSI and I can tell the difference in how they approach things and how well they feel you need to know and apply the information they provided you. It ultimately (in my opinion) comes down to You the individual and how comfortable you feel with your training. I think there are other posts about this topic on the site.

Just my 2 psi worth

Which end is up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users