• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ways to Cook Fish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Open Water & Enriched Air Diver
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

Hey Folks...

Even though I grew up in Hawai'i as a son of a fisherman...I've gotten away from eating fish when I was around 8-9 years old. The way my parent's understood it...I used to play with them in the tide pools...and the thought of eating any fish after that turned me completely off from the practice. So while I used to still help them catch fish...I would never eat them myself. These days...I don't have any personal reservations against eating fish...I've just never got back into it...and living here in Texas...I haven't really picked up on what is considered good eating or how to prepare them. In any case...if anyone can give me some tips on what types of fish to look for & ways to prepare them...I would gladly appreciate it. I'd like to expand my protein beyond just the usual red meat, chicken & nuts...

Thanks...

Kawika
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian
United States Military Academy Class of 1995 "With Honor We Strive..." F1/F4
"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

Anyone looking to rent a room in Sugar Land, TX?

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

I grew up in the south for many years and there is something about southern fried catfish! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, being a good mom, I will tend to grill any kind of fish....

Of course when I lived in Alaska we smoked the salmon.....

OMG I AM STARVIN NOW!! :) :usflag: :welcome:

Edited by Mishelle, 04 July 2005 - 03:01 PM.

:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#3 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

I am a subscriber to Bon Appetit and found the Epicurious website this way (they are responsible for both BA and Gourmet). They allow you to do free searches of all of their recipes and even store them in your own personal "recipe box". I am sure you will receive endless ideas from their website.

Here is a link to the recipe search page:

Epicurious Recipe Search

#4 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hi Kawika,

Here's a site that doesn't have recipes, but does have some really good info on helping you decide what types of fish you might wanna eat when you go to the market...

http://www.mbayaq.or...w_regional.aspx

I hope you'll explore this site... tons of great info there!

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#5 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Open Water & Enriched Air Diver
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

Thanks folks...I'll definitely check out those links...

K
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian
United States Military Academy Class of 1995 "With Honor We Strive..." F1/F4
"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

Anyone looking to rent a room in Sugar Land, TX?

#6 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

Kawika

There is only one type of fish you should eat...............FRESH FISH! If its not fresh don't bother. Next is prepareing the fish. If you are lucky enough to get fresh fish you want to make sure you take any bloodline out of the fish. This is the darker meat on the edges. Take this out prior to cooking or it can make the entire portion taste like fish.(like fish smells)

A couple of quick recipis for you

1. Cut tuna loin into triangle strips 1.5" on a side or rectangles 1"x2 or 3"
Lay out a piece of foil and sprinkle with ground pepper and salt or seasoning salt.(Vary to your taste)
Heat a skillet (I prefer cast iron) on high heat and coat with olive oil. when the oil starts smokeing put the fish on.
Grill just until it browns or even blackens a little. Rotate to another side, rotate again.
Slice and serve prefferably with Wasabi and Soy. You should end up with seared fish surrounding an inner core of raw cool tuna.

2. Combine brown suger, butter and 1 tablespoon of garlic paste in a sauce pan. Add a table spoon of cayane pepper. When the sauce starts to foam dip 1" marlin or tuna steaks in and fry them on medium heat skillet. Spoon a bid of sauce on them as you cook. Cook Tuna steaks 2-5min per side depending on your preferene. For marlin do not exceed 2 min per side. Overcooked Marlin sucks! The second steaks will be better than the first batch as they will have carmilized sauce on them.

3. Slice and fry up a couple of onions in a Large frying pan. When they begin to soften add a good red wine or tawny port(at least a cup maybe more) Add LOTS of fresh or course ground pepper. Then add 2 cans of cream of mushroom. While that simmers heat up a skillet to med-hi. Add olive oil. Fry tuna steaks 1 min per side Marlin 30 seconds per side. Spoon some onion/mushroom mix into the bottom of a cassarole dish. lay the steaks on top as they come off the skillet. Add the rest of the onion/mushroom mix. Top with grated cheese and bake for 20min or so @ around 350degrees. Serve over rice.
Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#7 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:59 PM

Hey Folks...

Even though I grew up in Hawai'i as a son of a fisherman...I've gotten away from eating fish when I was around 8-9 years old. The way my parent's understood it...I used to play with them in the tide pools...and the thought of eating any fish after that turned me completely off from the practice. So while I used to still help them catch fish...I would never eat them myself. These days...I don't have any personal reservations against eating fish...I've just never got back into it...and living here in Texas...I haven't really picked up on what is considered good eating or how to prepare them. In any case...if anyone can give me some tips on what types of fish to look for & ways to prepare them...I would gladly appreciate it. I'd like to expand my protein beyond just the usual red meat, chicken & nuts...

Thanks...

Kawika

Fresh Red Snapper!

First, build a fire in the grill. I typically use Mesquite charcoal...

Take a 5 lb. fillet of snapper (you can use less if you don't have enough friends to come over for some absolutely wonderful eatin' or you rely on the local grocery for your fish), leave on the skin and scales... trim bones and any discolored or red areas. Place the fillet scales down. Sprinkle lemon juice over flesh and season with a light sprinkle of Tony Chacherie's <sp?> Cajun Seasoning,... and finish by drizzleing melted butter over the flesh.

After the fire is established, I add some small blocks of Mesquite or Pecan wood that have been soaked in water. Damper down the air flow so the Mesquite/Pecan flavor lingers in the pit, and then...

Place the fillet SCALE-SIDE down on the surface of the grill over the fire. Keep the damper's almost closed to create the "Mesquite" or "Pecan" flavor. Grill/Smoke for about 45 minutes, checking only occasionally to be sure not to overcook. Flesh should become lightly brown on the surface and much of the "water" should be cooked away, leaving the flesh moist, but not "WET". Smaller (thinner) fillets take less time. Coals can have low flame, but you don't want a roaring fire burning the fish.

The skin/scales protect(s) the flesh, holds it together and makes it easier to remove the fish from the grill. With a spatula, you can then remove any size portion of the flesh you choose from the skin and place on a plate. Serve with freshly made "pico de gallo", tumbleweed tortillas for garnish, and good friends or a special romantic interest and candle light! A nice pineapple salsa would be a nice contrast in flavor as well. Absolutely satisfying!

Add your favorite other items as needed, but the best thing is to eat this wonderful fish until you are content without contaminating your palate...

IMHO...

ITB... :angel2:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users