• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Athens July 4th 2005

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

Well.. what a blast we had at Athens.

I arrived there about 4pm friday to find sun50/doug there already. well we set-up camp and got right to the business of diving.

Dive #1
after a buddy check we splashed into athens lake OK OK. after flapping our arms uncontrolably and spitting out our regs we where off. following our SPGs and Octos which where in front of us like guiding lights we where able to deal better with the flooding and fogging masks we had. once over the target we finned down head first deflating our BCs as we went. desending at a rapid rate we both impacted the bottom of the lake with maximum force. now our heads are buried to our shoulders so we held down on our inflaters till we popped out of the bottom heading feet first towards the surface. our fins, feet, legs bolted out of the surface as if we where doing synchronized swimming. once at the surface we flapped our arms uncontrolably like children and spit out our regs. so doug says in between gasps for air that he really didnt like my navigation style and he would like to lead. he said if we dessend at a 45% angel we would have a less chance of getting our heads stuck again...made sense to me. so as we flapped our arms uncontrolably while spitting out of regs we dove at a 45% angel towards our next target. well we smashed into a bus at such force our fins and masks came off. still flapping our arms like children we used sign language to convey that as much as we where enjoying the dive our SPGs said -3 psi.

Dive #2 tomorrow
More about the SD.comers get together and the sinking
of the SD.com spaceship later.

Here's a pic of Buddy on the sunken spaceship.

B2B

Here's a pic of Buddy

Attached Images

• buddyAthens.jpg

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 05 July 2005 - 10:38 AM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:48 PM

:P :D :)

Sounds like you guys are having a blast! And trying to stay out of SOME trouble! I look forward to tomorrows post! :teeth: Maybe there will be tales of Mermaids and Pirates :P
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#3 Abyss

Abyss

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

:o :) :D :D Bubbles is telling the truth
too!!!! Dive N and I saw the bruises when we arrived a short time later. :P what a mess they were! Poor babies! :teeth:
"I found a buddy" and decided to keep him
Click here for SD Happy Hours, Events and Functions!

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

Dive #2

This dive happened saturday morning before most of the SD.comers had started getting there. the dive plan was to remove as much of the mud, silt from our bodies as possible. as Vicky states our brusies where not removable nor easy to hide. we started with a giant stride into the water. using a more conventional diving style we criss crossed around the lake. towards the end of our dive a scuba tank was being pounded on. I thought maybe doug was in trouble ? so I signaled to him OK and he replied OK. Hmmm so we accended to the top and started looking for a possible distressed diver..then I noticed calvin at the shore hitting a scubatank with a hammer and yelling to everyone to get out of the lake. as we saw the lighting strikes and high winds it was obvious what he was talking about. we swam to the nearest dock and exited ASAP. now we are standing in the middle of and Strong storm with winds of at least 80+ mph. most of you have seen these storms from inside your car, home, place of business but to stand in one with no place to go is another story. there was Fat rain Skinny rain Stinging rain the rain even seemed to come from the ground. doug knocked on a trucks window that was nearby and we climbed into it. Lori the driver took us aroud to the otherside and we checked in. of course the storm left as quick as it came. Vicky/Abyss and Allen/DiveN came shortly afterwards. here is a list of the people I was glad to have meet... some for the first time.

David/ no name yet
Doug/sun50
Kerry/mongoose
Dennis/Drdiver
Kevin/tall hippy with Big tent
Teresa/tuttt
John/platapussman
Sandy/scubapunk
Trey/TWdiver
Bill/grayfins
John/DBD
Ladyfish
JAmesser
Jim

More about the SD.comers diving and camping later.

here is a pic of one side of the spaceship after SD.comers got
aholed of it late saturday.

B2B

Attached Images

• Predive_Spaceship_copy.jpg

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 05 July 2005 - 09:52 AM.

Amazon.com

#5 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:52 AM

Sounds like a great time! Minus the storm, but I guess it builds character :D
Wish Texas was a bit closer!

Which end is up?

#6 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

It was a great time with great people. I met a bunch of fun diving folks.
Now if I could find my ice pick I could chip the rest of the mud out of my ears.
SD Sunsets rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

Nice B2B...sounds like all had a great time. BTW, thanks to whom it was that put my name on the SpaceShip. :D
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#8 ladyfish

ladyfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:5

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:50 AM

I got there at 11:10 am and stayed untill 2pm there were only me and two other people ther at that time. golly I did not get to sign it. and nobody signed my name either when did people start to show up ?maybe next time will be better.

#9 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:00 PM

Ladyfish
as I remember the painting party started about 5ish and lasted till dark.I hope to see you next time Ladyfish and remember there are a few hotels in the area that if you mention Athens Scuba Park you will get a discount.

B2B

Amazon.com

#10 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

Nice B2B...sounds like all had a great time. BTW, thanks to whom it was that put my name on the SpaceShip. :o

I'll second that!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#11 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

Now to talk about the SD.com group trip.

late saturday most if not all the members where there some had already got a dive in or two. as night time came we found ourselfs talking in a large group of foldable and plastic chairs. somebody mentioned food and almost everybody had something to offer-up there was tradional hot dogs and even spicy sausages all kinds of chips dips and mixed nuts and every kind od refreshment from water to imported rum. drdiver was offering a special drink called a sd.com sunset? not sure correct me if Im wrong. on the other hand grayfins brought a tent just to keep his beer in and another tent for himself. kerry built a fire and some of us moved over to that. in all its just like any other SD.com trip Scubadiving and Friends.

more about the sinking of the unsinkable molly brown tomorrow.

who has more pictures ???

B2B

Amazon.com

#12 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

once over the target we finned down head first deflating our BCs as we went. desending at a rapid rate we both impacted the bottom of the lake with maximum force. now our heads are buried to our shoulders so we held down on our inflaters till we popped out of the bottom heading feet first towards the surface. our fins, feet, legs bolted out of the surface as if we where doing synchronized swimming. ...

well we smashed into a bus at such force our fins and masks came off.

Sometime it is just about all the personal self sacrafice that makes ya feel great about completing the job. Sorry to hear about the war wounds.

Sounds like everyone so far had a good time.

How bout the ants and mosquitos?

#13 Abyss

Abyss

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:09 PM

Bubble sweet Bubble ..... :twist: you forgot to mention the tornado! It was just after 10:00 am in the morning of the 2nd ( day after Dive N and I arrived, Friday evening was clear, calming, serene, the night filled the air with the sound of bull frog's dancing on the lily pad's. A crisp cool breeeze made camping an absolute delight. Back to the events of Saturday July 2, 2005. I was sitting in the RV having my morning coffee when through the window appeared a large mass of wind and rain approaching about 75 feet from the southeast that was impossible to see through(raining sideways) :diver: . I bolted from my seat to wake up Dive N screaming" Get-up.........we have a problem" The RV was shaking and swaying back and forth........heavy trash cans became airborn weapons of destruction. We were trapped with no-where to go, and no time to get there to safety. Lightening was clearly hitting the ground on the other side of the quarry! I well remember looking out the front door watching Bubbles and Sun50's tent as they were laying sideways from the powerful winds. At that time I thought they had gone into town for breakfast, to my surprise they were under the water :2cool: . As the storm began to pass us I noticed the two of them walking toward our campsite in disbelief and shock. Thier tents were full of water (beds, clothes, all the necessities they needed to survive the weekend). The rain was still coming down at such a rapid rate we could have floated in toobs down to the water! :usflag: (I like toobing) Bubbles and Sun50 were forced to go into town and purchase new sheets etc. for the remainder of the weekend. As fast as this devastating storm had approached, suddenly it was gone leaving behind much damage and destruction. The sun appeared as if all this had been a bad dream. :angel2:

#14 Abyss

Abyss

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:20 PM

Trimix2dive..........the mosquito's and ants were on us like savages!

#15 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

WOW! Sounds like you had an awesome time!!!! Thanks for the pics!
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users