• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Just say "no"

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

Marv, one thing you will find, that the longer you dive, and the more experienced divers you find yourself around, the less peer pressure you will get. It truly is a newbie thing, to pressure folks into doing a dive they are not comfortable with. The guys I dive with do the most extreme diving you can imagine. we spend silly amounts of money for equipment and travel, but truly not a disparaging word is spoken if one of us decides to abort a dive. I have had friends concerned, but never judgemental. you did the right thing, only you are, or can be, in charge of your own diving. cap ron

#32 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:37 AM

Marv, one thing you will find, that the longer you dive, and the more experienced divers you find yourself around, the less peer pressure you will get. It truly is a newbie thing, to pressure folks into doing a dive they are not comfortable with. The guys I dive with do the most extreme diving you can imagine. we spend silly amounts of money for equipment and travel, but truly not a disparaging word is spoken if one of us decides to abort a dive. I have had friends concerned, but never judgemental. you did the right thing, only you are, or can be, in charge of your own diving. cap ron

Gotta clarify one thing- no peer pressue was involved. Actually, I'm tenacious & stubborn enough on my own to create a feeling of "do or die." Oops! Shouldn't really use that phrase in this situation. It's just that I have a really perfectionist, competative nature when I decide that I want to do something. So, I feel a certain reluctance to "quit." Thank goodness, common sense overrides that feeling when I'm diving. It's a great attribute for my other sports endeavors- not this one & I know it! This incident reinforced that lesson to a great degree & I think it's going to help me become a better diver as a result. I'm really absorbing the "Anyone can call a dive at any time for any reason" motto & taking it to heart!!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#33 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:48 AM

Marvel,

I am the same way. I know of one boat captain that helped get me into my doubles because I couldn't quit dry heaving long enough to gear up and that was prior to the first dive. Everybody teased me and slapped me on the back afterward for diving off that six pack in 4-6 foot waves on Lake Huron and everything worked out well. But if I had to do it again (even though I felt far better under the water as I knew that I would from my seasickness on submarines on the surface vs. diving), due to dehydration and stress issues, I would not do it again.

This last weekend was the first time that I recall scrubbing a day's of diving for me. As I get better known and get more opportunity to dive as a result, I can guarantee that it won't be my last. There are always other dives and my willingness to risk myself or my dive buddy is quickly going away. Other factors come into play, like I would like to be physically able to dive with the ladies that I meet here :teeth:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#34 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

The first thing I'd like to say is eventhough you don't have alot of experience you made an intellignet decision to abort the dive.And I would rather have an intelligent inexperienced diver for a buddy than an experienced fool which is exactly what they showed theirselves to be by making fun.Point in fact:Just because you are full grown does not make you an adult!
These are not criticisms but helpful hints:Always try new gear out in the pool or a shallow shore dive to make sure it fits and functions properly.And even if its existing gear its a good practice to check it out too,before travel.This will also let you check boyancy control with new and different wetsuits.Try local diveshops some in my area have pools on site for instruction and trying new gear out.Here they will also let you schedule pool time for practicing different skills.
As for the wetsuit personally I wouldnt own one that I couldnt get on by myself,or any other piece of equipment that I couldnt get on by myself for that matter.Also try dunking you wetsuit before you try to put it on this sure helped me.
The rough seas thing ,wel since trip to cancun last nov. I have a new found respect for the ocean.I'll share the story in the my trips section.WHAT A NIGHT IT WAS! :teeth:

Hope this helps anyway thats my 2 cents :teeth:

#35 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

The first thing I'd like to say is eventhough you don't have alot of experience you made an intellignet decision to abort the dive.And I would rather have an intelligent inexperienced diver for a buddy than an experienced fool which is exactly what they showed theirselves to be by making fun.Point in fact:Just because you are full grown does not make you an adult!
These are not criticisms but helpful hints:Always try new gear out in the pool or a shallow shore dive to make sure it fits and functions properly.And even if its existing gear its a good practice to check it out too,before travel.This will also let you check boyancy control with new and different wetsuits.Try local diveshops some in my area have pools on site for instruction and trying new gear out.Here they will also let you schedule pool time for practicing different skills.
As for the wetsuit personally I wouldnt own one that I couldnt get on by myself,or any other piece of equipment that I couldnt get on by myself for that matter.Also try dunking you wetsuit before you try to put it on this sure helped me.
The rough seas thing ,wel since trip to cancun last nov. I have a new found respect for the ocean.I'll share the story in the my trips section.WHAT A NIGHT IT WAS! :)

Hope this helps anyway thats my 2 cents :teeth:

Not to worry! I'll brave the cold this weekend in a wetsuit that I am used to for my dives in the keys!! :D
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#36 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:86 (as of 4/4/04)

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:28 AM

I hope you stay warm and safe in the Keys. After all, I want to dive with you on Sunday!!!

-Grier :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users