• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Just say "no"

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:44 AM

Truthfully, I'm hesitant to talk about this because I don't want to risk having any of you not want to dive with me in the future or think I'm inept & a risk as a buddy because I don't think that I am. Just not as experienced as many of you.

Why the heck would we not want to dive with you!!! Of course I'D LOVE TO DIVE WITH YOU!! You've demonstrated that you have the wherewithall to call a dive and in front of other more experienced divers, that can be a really hard thing to do. WELL DONE at making that call. Glad to know you didn't dive on the second dive too. Even though you felt better having fed the fish, being sick like that, I find, gives you that kind of bruised feeling (as well as dehydrating you) that sticks around for the day.

ZD is right. Problems with the suit being tight and reg problems would only compound at depth. And getting down would have been a struggle being underweighted and would have been worse on the way up when the tank was near empty and lighter.

Have to agree about testing out gear first. I got a new suit last summer and had a buddy come with me out to a local quarry where I went in first and tried to descend. No go. He waded out with more lead until I could get off the surface. Then we proceeded to tour the quarry. ScubaKim and I are going on a trip in a couple of weeks and I made a point of telling her to test out her new BC and regs BEFORE we go! She's done that and is quite happy. Not only does testing out your new gear let you get used to it but it will bring attention to any changes that may be required in your existing equipment.

The suit goes back. Try on the replacement on in the store. I usually wear spandex shorts and a sports top to the diveshop (under my clothes) so I can try on a suit even if there's no change room or it's busy.

Take the regs in for service and get them adjusted. If they sat over the winter, they should probably be looked at anyway. My opinion is, you can never be too careful with life-support equipment!

So, when do you want to go diving? I'm busy for the next few weekends and it'll probably take me a few days to drive down there........ :lol:

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:24 AM

Could you imagine if she'd have posted this on ScubaBoard? There would be a smoldering pile of ash where our beloved Marvel used to be.

Scuba Board has approximately 10 times our total membership. When you have a membership that large, you can't avoid a few grumps in the crowd. OTOH, there are lots of folks on SB who would have been very supporting and would have given good, positive feedback.

SB usually does a pretty good job in areas like this. I think our atmosphere better, but keep in mind, children frequent SB. They can't do what we can do. If we allowed children, we couldn't either.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:01 AM

Hey girl...there is not much more I can add other then "Been there...made those mistakes...MANY times....and now I know better!!' I'm sure I'm like others when I say that you have just described my early days of learning to dive! Ok...so no comments about how that seems like only yesterday! :lol:

You have also demonstrated the fine line between working through an issue to see if you can resolve it on your own...aka completing a zipping process in water...and knowing when you just can't resolve the problem(s) and you need to abort the dive.

And you have also NOW learned that some problems are not fixable in the water and will actually worsen at depth...i.e. weighted too lightly, regulator or other gear problems etc.

Poor conditions only compound other problems and those are defined by the person so no one answer is right for everyone. And you did not mention if you were over tired from diving all morning to get to the keys etc. All of which just compounds any other problems you may encounter.

However as your skills improve and they will with practice...thats the stuff we get when we go thru the dive school of hard knocks and all those pool/quarry dives or in your case shore dives. And yes I used to belong to the school of trying out new dive gear on a trip...ok so ocassionally I still do it out of necessity BUT I have a back up with me that I KNOW is reliable so if it doesn't perform I'm not in danger and/or have to abort the dive.

The point is that you learned some invaluble lessons and you got a LOT of them on one dive so to me THAT particular dive was well worth your money. Let me see:

1. You learned that ill fitting gear will not fit better in the water or once you are diving.
2. You learned that your equipment is delicate and that you need to really understand how it works and check it before you dive with it to ensure it breathes properly for YOU and your tastes.
3. You learned that bouyance changes dramatically from a 3mil to a 6mil suit and that you need to verify the amount of weight you actually need vs. guesstimating it.
4. You learned that you need to buy new gear WITH your existing gear to make sure it all fits properly ie. having your BCD with you when you buy a wetsuit for example. Most likely your bcd is fine but may need to be adjusted in order to fit you comfortably with your new suit. This is now a great time to learn how to make those adjustments to your bcd as if you adjust it for the new 6mil...it may not work for the 3mil.
5. You learned from a previous thread that wetsuits that are too loose will not keep you warm...and now you have learned that wetsuits that are too tight will constrict you too much.
6. You learned that there are several resources on this board NEAR YOU that can help you with skills...with gear purchases and with questions that you have...and yes all on a budget!!! Gotta love it....SingleDivers.com...help for those on a budget!!! LOL!! (Plus you learned that there is a lot of expertise on this board that is readly, willing and able to share with you and ANYONE else that asks!!! Don't you just LOVE divers???)
7. You learned to trust your own instincts and follow your inner instincts BEFORE you let them get out of control and panic and then have serious consequences.
8. You learned to work thru a panic situation in the water and listen to the DM's etc. as they worked you thru the situation.
9. You learned to make better judgement calls about weather and sea conditions and maybe next time you'll abort earlier if necessary and not take the risks you took on this dive.
10. You learned that if you do buy new gear that testing it out in a pool or shoredive is worth its weight in gold and most likely would have eliminated a number of the problems you encountered.
11. You learned that improving your dive skills is a great goal and in some cases a necessity if you plan to increase your diving destinations from your normal backyard diving venue.
12. You learned more about people and the interesting dynamics that occur when people extend their diving reach to new destinations or skills and how you felt when you had a problem etc.

Heck girl...your dive was VERY successful if you think in terms of how many awesome lessons you gained from it. Heck some of us get only one lesson per dive...you got over a dozen from just one dive!!!

But seriously...I think you did very well and I will be your buddy ANYDAY and I can't wait to dive with you in Bonaire!!! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#19 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:42 AM

K's right ... as my grandmother used to say "you either get what you want or you get a lesson."

Good judgement comes from experience, which in turn often comes from bad judgement.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#20 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:20 PM

i'm with everyone else, M! i'm glad you called the dive when it became too uncomfortable, and I for one can't wait to dive with you in bonaire.

#21 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:21 PM

Heck girl...your dive was VERY successful if you think in terms of how many awesome lessons you gained from it. Heck some of us get only one lesson per dive...you got over a dozen from just one dive!!!

But seriously...I think you did very well and I will be your buddy ANYDAY and I can't wait to dive with you in Bonaire!!! kamala

Thanks WW & again to all! Yes, you're right I did gain a lot of knowledge from one experience & the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to that conclusion myself. I've got a strong drive towards achieving perfection- my personal saying when it comes to pool is that the difference between an amateur & a professional is that an amateur will practice a shot until s/he makes it while a professional will practice it until s/he doesn't miss it! Certainly a good standard to modify for use diving & I'm just the gal to do it!!! Hey! We can start a thread to come up with a slogan for diving that conveys that! How about it all- any takers???? :taz:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#22 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

Marvel- if you can survive the "slings" and "arrows" on the more popular topics on this board, you're a survivor and a worthy dive buddy. Never fear.

I think anyone who has been diving a reasonable amount of time has called a dive or more. I know I have. If I don't feel comfortable, I don't dive. If I wake up feeling a little "off," I don't dive. Nothing wrong in having the wisdom to realize it's not a good time to dive for whatever reason!

Dr. Bill

#23 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Logged Dives:86 (as of 4/4/04)

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:10 PM

Marvel, I'll have to chime in with all of the above. And I can talk, because I've had the pleasure of being your dive buddy on two occasions, and I can't wait to dive with you again.

One thing that I love about diving is that it's such a humbling experience. Whenever I feel that old ego rising to the surface, all I have to do is go underwater, and I realize just how much more there is to learn, to assimilate. And I find that I learn much more from those experiences where I have to make tough judgement calls than I ever do from the easy dives.

I guess the bottom line is that nobody has the right to make you feel bad about your skills just because you decided to abort a dive. (And no, as I've told you before, in my opinion, you didn't abort the dive that we dove together. From my perspective, we were diving our plan. Good evidence of that is that I got to shore having dipped a bit too far into my reserve 500 psi.)

Again, I'm looking forward to our next dive. I hope you have a chance to resolve those suit issues, and if you need somebody to help with the bouyancy checks, you can call me any time.

-Grier

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:14 PM

I think anyone who has been diving a reasonable amount of time has called a dive or more. I know I have.

Excellent point, Bill! I know I've called dives when I didn't have a reason, things just didn't "feel" right.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

Marvel, I'll have to chime in with all of the above. And I can talk, because I've had the pleasure of being your dive buddy on two occasions, and I can't wait to dive with you again.

One thing that I love about diving is that it's such a humbling experience. Whenever I feel that old ego rising to the surface, all I have to do is go underwater, and I realize just how much more there is to learn, to assimilate. And I find that I learn much more from those experiences where I have to make tough judgement calls than I ever do from the easy dives.

I guess the bottom line is that nobody has the right to make you feel bad about your skills just because you decided to abort a dive. (And no, as I've told you before, in my opinion, you didn't abort the dive that we dove together. From my perspective, we were diving our plan. Good evidence of that is that I got to shore having dipped a bit too far into my reserve 500 psi.)

Again, I'm looking forward to our next dive. I hope you have a chance to resolve those suit issues, and if you need somebody to help with the bouyancy checks, you can call me any time.

-Grier

Hee Hee!! Finally lured you into posting, buddy-boy!!! :taz:

Guys, meet Grier- a recent NC transplant- married but buddiless for the nonce. He's a real card & you guys are gonna love him!! Now, time for the Super Admins to work their magic & get him started in his own "New To Single Divers" thread!!!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#26 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:58 PM

Yep, Walter, sometimes you just have to listen to your gut. Those who know me understand that I wouldn't call a dive unless I had a strong feeling about it. I trust my instincts- they've proven so right so often. I find they guide me very well in my videography. Too often I get an inner sign to look in a certain direction and almost every time there is something unusual to video.

Dr. B.

#27 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

Well I done good this evening. I just returned from my LDS where I spent 35 mins in the pool using my new camera and getting used to the bouyancy of diving with it before I leave for my trip saturday. So now when I take it down for the first time I'll already be familar with it and familar with diving with it. :hiya:

#28 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Logged Dives:86 (as of 4/4/04)

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:07 PM

Marvel,

You pulled my in with your feminine wiles...

Glad to join you guys. I posted what turned out to be a rather long-winded introduction in the New To Single Divers forum for anybody who's interested...

Let's go diving...

-Grier

#29 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:18 PM

DL.

I usually wear spandex shorts and a sports top to the diveshop (under my clothes) so I can try on a suit even if there's no change room or it's busy.

So as not to disappoint anyone on the board.....
Lynn, with the above attire, where do you shop, and when?!?!?!?!?!?

Marvel, information can be learned, common sense cannot. I would dive with you anytime!
Diving; My zen space.

#30 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:34 PM

So as not to disappoint anyone on the board.....
Lynn, with the above attire, where do you shop, and when?!?!?!?!?!?

atta boy, murph!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users