• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Shark Shield

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

Hello,

Last week was "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel and after seeing several stories of humans attacked by sharks, I did some reaserch to find protective gear against sharks. I came accross the so-called "shark shield" and I was wondering if anybody on the board has ever seen, heard, or used one of these devices before.

I am not asking about shark behavior nor am I asking for a lecture on how shark don't really attack people; all I want to know is if any of you have any knowledge of these devices and if they actually work.

For more info about the device, see the below site:

www.sharkshield.com

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edwin.
"PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!"

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:44 PM

Edwin,

I have never heard of the Shark Shield, but I am interested in learning more. So pass along anything else you may find out, if you dont mind. I did read the site.... very interesting. Although it is rather pricey!

Thanks!

Edited by Mishelle, 26 July 2005 - 04:50 PM.

:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:18 PM

Well Mishelle it doesn't work in Singles Bars and Edwin please don't wear it on a dive with me, I like to see sharks. :dance: :dance:

Attached Images

• f205.JPG

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Well Mishelle it doesn't work in Singles Bars and Edwin please don't wear it on a dive with me, I like to see sharks. :dance: :dance:

LMAO, You dont know that! :cool1:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:50 PM

I seem to remember they had divers down with these in Australia for the swimming portion of the triathlon during the Olympics.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:12 PM

I seem to remember they had divers down with these in Australia for the swimming portion of the triathlon during the Olympics.

So, do you think they work?
Are there any articles about it that you know of?

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#7 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:13 PM

I had a chance to dive a prototype and it seemed to work quite well. It had a switch on it so we could turn it on once we found sarks (they are not quite as plenitful in guam as Palau) When you switched it on you could see the sharks react to it within a second or so. Kind of a knee jerk reaction. Then they would leave. We never tested it with bait as the investor that brought it over from austraila was worried about liability.

So as far as I know
Yea they work.

Do I think you would want/need one?

[B]NO

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#8 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:22 PM

So, do you think they work?
Are there any articles about it that you know of?

Nevermind what I said about articles.... check these out....

http://www.gizmag.com/go/1280/

http://edition.cnn.c...21/spark.shark/

http://www.dispatch....cape/asurf.html

http://www.siliconch...92/article.html

The question remains; however, does anybody have any real life experience using these devices????????

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#9 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

I had a chance to dive a prototype and it seemed to work quite well. It had a switch on it so we could turn it on once we found sarks (they are not quite as plenitful in guam as Palau) When you switched it on you could see the sharks react to it within a second or so. Kind of a knee jerk reaction. Then they would leave. We never tested it with bait as the investor that brought it over from austraila was worried about liability.

So as far as I know
Yea they work.

Do I think you would want/need one?

[B]NO

Cheers Jim

Thanks.

Why do you think I wouldn't "want/need one"?

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#10 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:41 PM

Avin, why do you think you'd want or need one?
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#11 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

Avin, why do you think you'd want or need one?

Better safe than sorry I always say....

I see it as wearing a seatbelt in a car; you wear it just in case.

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#12 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:25 PM

It would be more along the lines of driving you car while flashing the lights and honking the horn.
I would warn other divers that you were diving with this apparatus. If I were trying to photograph sharks or rays and my dive buddy had one of these without telling me, he would be in more danger than a shark attack.
But if it's proved to be non-invasive to the environment (which I'm not convinced of) then I say go for it, if it makes you feel safer - just, again, let your buddies know.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#13 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:36 AM

Avin, I don't know what your experiences have been like in the water to date, nor if you've ever seen a shark underwater before...

I can tell you that in my many hundreds of dives, on the few I've seen a shark the sighting has been the highlight of the dive each and every time.

I hope that you'll come to discover that they are magnificent creatures and that you really have nothing to fear from them. You're not on the menu, and they are so spectacular to see!

I've done, and will do again (and again), dives where the entire purpose is to look for sharks.

Sharks attacks on divers are SO rare as to be statistically insignificant by any measure imaginable. You would be better off, in my opinion, buying a heavy-duty helmet to wear at the beach, since falling coconuts account for about 3 times more deaths to humans each year than shark attacks do.

Or better yet, spend that money getting some advanced decompression training, since you are far more likely to get seriously hurt by getting bent than you are to be attacked by a shark while diving.

Anyway. I'm not attacking your idea of getting one of these devices. I agree with ScubaHawk: If it makes you more comfortable, and therefore more likely to dive, then it's a good idea for you. But as has been stated, be sure you let those you dive with know that you are wearing one, because the HUGE majority of divers you're likely to meet look forward to seeing sharks when they dive.

Good luck, and if you do purchase one of these, I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#14 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:02 AM

Edwin, just to put things in perspective, when I took the picture of the shark and sucker we were surrounded by about 50 sharks and schools of baracuda but at the end of the dive we drifted over the flats and a crew member was attacted by a trigger fish defending his nest. It's not the sharks you need to worry about but probably the damsel defending his algea patch, if they were 5' long we wouldn't be diving. Have fun out there, Ray :diver: :cool2:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#15 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:48 AM

It would be more along the lines of driving you car while flashing the lights and honking the horn.
I would warn other divers that you were diving with this apparatus. If I were trying to photograph sharks or rays and my dive buddy had one of these without telling me, he would be in more danger than a shark attack.
But if it's proved to be non-invasive to the environment (which I'm not convinced of) then I say go for it, if it makes you feel safer - just, again, let your buddies know.

I do not have one of these things....... which is why I am asking if any of you know if they actually work......
The question is do they devices work not what the feelings of a dive buddy would be.

Thanks.

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users