• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Shark Shield

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

It would be more along the lines of driving you car while flashing the lights and honking the horn.
I would warn other divers that you were diving with this apparatus. If I were trying to photograph sharks or rays and my dive buddy had one of these without telling me, he would be in more danger than a shark attack.
But if it's proved to be non-invasive to the environment (which I'm not convinced of) then I say go for it, if it makes you feel safer - just, again, let your buddies know.

I do not have one of these things....... which is why I am asking if any of you know if they actually work......
The question is do they devices work not what the feelings of a dive buddy would be.

Thanks.

Aside from the gramatical errors....

Thank you all for responding to this post; however, I must say, we are drifting out of topic....

I don't care what people are looking for when they dive; if they want to look for sharks or how sharks behave while underwater......

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS:

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER USED OR SEEN SOMEBODY USE A "SHARK SHIELD" DEVICE AND IF SO, DOES IT WORK???

Thank you for your responses, but please let's stay on topic; if you do not know, then you do not know and that's all there is to it.
"PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!"

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:02 AM

Avin,

When we discuss any topic, the discussion will wander a bit. This is normal and expected. It's also a very good trait of normal conversation because it often brings up issues we might not have considered.

You have your answer, they work. You also have additional information you may not have considered. Most of us would consider this a good thing. Apparently, you do not. So, you should ignore the additional information and move on to the next topic that catches your attention. The rest of us will pay attention to the additional info given by friends trying to help. Please don't try to stop us from learning even when the topic wanders just a tad.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:09 AM

Walter,

I am not trying to stop any of you from writing whatever you want to write.

I am simply pointing out that it would be nice if, somewhere in between the additional information, an answer to the inicial question is provided.

If what I wrote sounded rude, that is not what I intended.

Thanks.

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#19 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

Just a reminder from you friendly neighbourhood moderator...

Discussion, debate and disagreement are permitted here at SD.com but personal attacks are not. Wandering topics are also permitted.

Please keep discussions civil and non-personal when disagreements arise.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posting!

#20 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

Avin,

Jim told you early in the thread he'd tested them and that they worked. You then posted links to articles explaining that they do, indeed, work. You had your answer. At that point there was no need to make a post asking people to stay on topic and answer your original question. When you did that, it did not come across as rude, merely as selfish and pushy. Your "get over it" comment is, however, rude. I am over it, it just appears you aren't used to the friendly banter you'll find on this site. Topics wander here, you'll need to get used to it if you expect to be happy here.

DSSW,

WWW™

#21 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

Thanks.

I would merely note that the experience of several divers vice only one is much more credible. Furthermore different situations or scenarios could be taken into account regarding the funcionality of any device.

I am grateful that one person has used this device and indicated they work; however, again, I was hoping to see different scenarios or "stories" relating to this device.

Finally, articles are just that, articles which are probably there to promote the device. Huge difference when the info comes from divers who are not interested in selling this device.

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:37 AM

Excellent point. OTOH, the "other information" may explain why no one else has used them. There's no need for them and very few people want to keep sharks away. We like watching sharks.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

OTOH, the "other information" may explain why no one else has used them.  There's no need for them and very few people want to keep sharks away.  We like watching sharks.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I suspect that asking this question here would be like asking your typical airline passenger what kind of parachute they carry with them when they travel.

The answer is, of course, that no one is using them (in both cases). A good question one might ask is "why is this the case?"

But since we've allowed the topic to deviate a bit here, I have another question:

I am assuming that the collective members of this board have well into the hundreds of thousands of dives combined.

Have any of you ever personally known a shark attack victim, or been on a dive trip where a shark attack occurred?

Thanks,

-d

Edited by David Evans, 27 July 2005 - 10:52 AM.

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

Yes.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 Avin

Avin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

Excellent point. OTOH, the "other information" may explain why no one else has used them. There's no need for them and very few people want to keep sharks away. We like watching sharks.

Indeed...watching sharks is probably a great experience that I have yet to achieve.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not trying to insult your intelligence here nor do I argue the fact that watching sharks and any other aquatic life is great; however, it is my understanding that the device has an on/off switch. Therefore, if you want to swim with the sharks, you simply turn the device off and if they get roudy (in case they do) well then you turn it on and "if the device works" then you would repell the shark/s....

David, I liked the airline passenger analogy :iagree:
Good question you asked there too... I'm curious about the answer to that

Seriously, I don't argue diver's motives as to look for sharks or not; I was just researching hoping to hear something along the lines of: i.e., "I've seen them in use; They don't work; They work; I saw a place that rented them; A friend of mine wore one and a shark ate him or left the area" ect etc...

Food for thought:

All shark attack victims that I saw on tv being interviewed said this catchy phrase:
"I never thought it would happen to me"

It goes to prove.. just when you think you know everything..... you are proven wrong!!!

"VOTE FOR PEDRO"

#26 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:31 PM

Have any of you ever personally known a shark attack victim, or been on a dive trip where a shark attack occurred?

Yes, but they were asking for it.

I have heard that these electric field devices work, but have no personal experience with them. My personal feeling if I was that worried about sharks, I would also get a waterproof transponder to activate if I got separated from the boat--probably a more likely event than a shark attack.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#27 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:48 PM

I read in an article about a commercial scallop diver in australia that was attacked by a great white and was wearing a device. Yes, they may well work but there is debate that although they may keep "most" sharks away in a close proximity they may actually initially attract sharks from further distance to that closer proximity.....There was also talk about if this particular diver was using his correctly or maybe it just didn't bother this rather large landlord.

Edited by Blublood, 27 July 2005 - 01:50 PM.

“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#28 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:20 PM

Something like the money back guarantee on a parachute if it doesn't work!
Maybe because I want to see the sharks but I can think of better things to spend my dive money on, there is a lot of other safety equipment you need first.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#29 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

There's no guarantee.

DSSW,

WWW™

#30 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

hmmm. the last two posts reminded me of a funny sign I saw outside of an insurance agent's office while visiting my sister (I think it may be an oldie, but I laughed and laughed):

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users