• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Where did that wreck go?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

I had an opportunity to do a dive yesterday to demonstrate something that I feel is an important skill for wreck divers. It is taught as a matter of course for divers during decompression courses.

Our gripping tale starts on a fine day in Lake Ontario. The day is Saturday, August 13. The wreck that we intend to dive is the St. Peter. This is a three masted wooden schooner that foundered in a storm in the late 1800's. Of the seven people onboard, only the Captain lived.

Anyhow, the fisherman keep stealing the mooring bouy from the wreck and you have to be careful when you drop anchor to avoid doing anymore damage to this lovely wooden wreck with a deck about 100 ft. and the mud at 120 ft. .

So, we have 1-2 ft waves with a couple of rogue 4 ft. waves and some whitecaps. Not terrible conditions, but I have been out in better. We have a couple of people starting to get a tad green and I am one of them. I have double 130's filled with tri-mix and a deco mix. My buddy for this dive is similarly equipped.

My buddy gets a little ill from something that he had the day before (to eat, not to drink) and tells me that he isn't going in. My normally preferred dive buddy is also here, but she is in recreational gear with nitrox (single eighty).

The plan is this (to my understanding at the time), the buddy team of Rick and I (now just me) will go in and make sure that the anchor is near the wreck. At that point, I will pop a lift bag to give the divers on single eighties a more straight shot down to the wreck.

I am starting to overheat in the drysuit and heavy gear, so the water is a relief. I grab my stage bottle and head into the depths. The first thing that I notice that we have one heck of a current. The vis is about ten ft., if that. I am able to swim against the current (as indicated by the anchor line direction), but I can't find the shipwreck (Yes, the captain had the right GPS numbers). I swim around for a while and start drifting up. I am hoping that the visibility will get better. First clue to myself that something isn't right is that the wreck is in 120 ft. of water. The bottom where I am at is only a little deeper than 102 ft.

By now, I have realized that with the current involved and the bottom being the same all over, I won't find the anchor line any time soon. At eighty-five ft., I can't see the bottom anyways. So, I unclip my dive reel and fire off a lift bag as I have about ten minutes of deco to kill off. At that point, I simply have to hope that the boat sees the bag and doesn't watch me drift off. Thirty-seven minutes of run time have elasped by the time that I hit the surface. I am safe and sound but starting to overheat again as the lake has turned and I planned on forty degree water. Thank God, that I am diving fresh water. That stuff is great to re-hydrate with while one waits for a boat.

It turns out that three other divers tried to the locate the wreck as well, but got down there and turned back when they saw the vis. One had a problem with her drysuit neck seal and thumbed the dive. The heroine that my preferred dive buddy is, she acknowledged the thumb and went up with her. The guy didn't get the point right away but followed up a couple of minutes later.

Everybody from that group boards and the boat pulls anchor to get me. The captain barely helps me over the transom before I am feeding fish like a couple of others before me today. But, I am safe and sound and on my way back into shore.

For many of the divers involved, this was a dive where Mr. Murphy poked in his foul head. We all acted within the limits of our training and no major incidents happen. All of those times that I have practiced lauching a bag and reel in mid-water and following it up to do my deco paid off.

For the other divers, they followed their training and aborted when they felt that things were getting uncomfortable (even though one jumped in just fast enough to kill off her seasickness).

But, any of these cases can lead to major incidents if training is not done and followed. Training bailed out every diver on this charter when the dive plan went to you-know-where.

Oh, and the next person diving that wreck from the same boat that I am on who mentions the curse on the St. Peter from Martha gets thrown overboard as a sacrifice to the hungry curse. :welcome: Nobody could understand where those waves that we were dealing with were coming from. There was nearly no wind that day.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#2 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:30 AM

Now that is a humbling story. Thanks for sharing it. It always helps to keep your head for sure. And that sounds like some rough conditions. Oy!!

#3 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:13 AM

And a real kicker was, just 5 miles away the lake was a sheet of glass. How could we have waves and no wind? And what was with the current going to OTHER direction then the waves?!!! Martha was having fun with us for sure. For those who want more into on the St Pete, check here.

http://playfair.home...sh/StPeter.html

I've heard there were 9 on board, web site says 6..... who knows! I did get to see one of her anchors as it's sitting in the marina.
Sempar Partus!!

#4 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing it! I am lost on a couple of things though, Who is Martha? and Were Diverbrian and hnladue on the same trip?
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#5 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

Martha is the name of the Captain's Wife that perished with the sinking. And yes! we were both on the same trip!! Check out that web site I posted for the facts on the sinking and some really nice pictures.
Sempar Partus!!

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

If not for the mix in my tanks, Heather and I would have been diving together on this wreck. But, I had a techie that wanted to be my dive buddy for this trip and she had a dive buddy who had dove the wreck before, so I took tri-mix with me.

I had a mix that was going to put me into decompression within a heartbeat after hitting bottom (as I am preparing for a deeper dive out of Thunder Bay this week) and she had nitrox. I couldn't have followed them back up in any case due to the speed that helium goes into and out of the bloodstream.

She did a beautiful job of handling the conditions that "Martha" threw at us. I won't judge my response except to say that it was within what I have been taught in my IANTD courses. The captain did an excellent job of following my bubbles and watching my lift bag to know that I was safely doing my decompression.

This was a case of things working out due to the support team on the surface being alert to the needs of the divers. This avoided anything becoming an emergency situation.

Just to think about this... I have read too many accounts of divers too embarrassed to admit that they won't make it to the line and simply shoot a bag and start their deco like they have been trained to do. I have read too many accounts of divers that don't wish to end a dive quickly because their buddy ends it. All of these cases have ended in more serious incidents OR very serious tragedy. There is already too much of both of those in the history of diving.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

I remember a dive just after my IANTD Adv Trimix course. Off Miami, trying to dive the RB Johnson (one wreck lying across another at 270'). Fiendish currents that meant our skipper (Jim Mims, one of the best) spent 45 minutes unsuccessfully trying to get a shot onto the wreck. Eventually we all decided to give it a go anyway. By the time we got down the current had carried us into deep water - Jim was watching us on a scope and told us we turned the dive when we were in over 1000' of water! Most boring deep dive I've ever made - saw absolutely nothing. Expensive too - O/C trimix.

Attached Images

• DSC00303.JPG

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:20 AM

This thread was split out here as it took a fun and entertaining twist. We now return this thread to its orginally scheduled programming. :teeth:

#9 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:25 AM

Damn moderators! Okay, Brian, I see where our haunted shipwrecks went, but where did the other stuff go?

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users