• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Can you dive when you smoke?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:33 PM

Last weekend an interesting question.

Is there a way that divers who smoke, can smoke and dive at the same time?
Or should they just stick nicotine patches on the bodies?

I don't smoke. But you that do, try to give others that do some ideas on how to get the "fix" while under water.

I would like to think of this tread as a public service thread to those in our group who smoke.

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

Interesting topic.
I do not think that divers are really down long enough to "suffer" nicotine withdraw.

As for a patch, you should NOT wear one if you are a smoker who does not intend to quit.
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#3 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:43 PM

Not being a smoker, my thought is that this is just one more incentive for people to quit!

On another note, if a person is so addicted so as to have a craving while underwater that must be satisfied, I am thinking that there is a definite problem with this person's smoking habits! Last I checked, chain smoking and diving (or any other physical activity for that matter) certainly do not go hand in hand! And anyone that smokes that much has definite health concerns to think about.

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

Logistically, it would be a bitch.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

This is a very bad solution, but I know people who do it. Well, not diving, but flying on longer sorties.

They would chew tobacco for their nicotine fix. I would imagine you could do the same diving. Hopefully not with any rental reg that I would use anytime in the future...

I can see this being an issue for long duration dives. you know, those crazies who spend 8-10+ hours underwater.

But I can't stand either stuff, so am very happy I don't have the problem.
Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#6 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

Logistically, it would be a bitch.

Walter -

One of the people during our mensa conversation, proposed injecting cigarette smoke into the tank creating a light carbon monoxide mix. He was given the "special" I've had too many beers award for that one.

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

What boggles my mind are the divers who do smoke, it sure isn't helping their SAC but I guess they just buy bigger tanks or doubles.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

It also increases their chances of AGE.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

Took the thought right out of my head. And those divers that are underwater for many many hours should REALLY reconsider the combination of smoking and diving.

And, I am not knocking people who choose to smoke, just very concerned when it comes to safety and diving.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

This weekend I saw two cousins I use to baby sit and the heavy smoking and drinking has definetly AGEd them, they look older than me now! Of course the one is lucky to be alive after lighting up a smoke in his fathers dark room, kaaaboom!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Walter;
Tell us more about A.G.E. and smoking/diving. That's not covered in classes.
Doug

#12 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

Yep, it's obvious the thread originator doesn't smoke, or he would already know that posting one on the subject is going to get more comments from nons - unless you attempt to restrict discussion "for smokers only,' in which case it'll only be about half nons.

I'll spend several hours in non-smoking environments when flying and changing, and while I don't miss it much - I do carry a can of "Bandits" - little snuff filled pouches that one sucks on a little to ease the nicotine withdrawal. I also use them on the one non-smoking boat I patronize, but hate it when I forget to spit it out before going in. Not a good thing to have in your windpipe. :teeth: So far, I have always remembered by the time I get to the 15 foot equipment check.

I do have a waterproof cigarette pack case. I think I'll put it and a small towel in a zip lock, inside my BC pocket so I can dry my hand enough to light up on the drift line. :lmao: Like after sex, I do like a smoke after a dive.

Edited by DandyDon, 16 August 2005 - 07:31 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:56 PM

Smoking weakens the tissues in your lungs, making it easier for the alveoli to rupture. Smoking also damages the lungs ability to discharge mucus which increases the odds the alveoli will be blocked, making it possible for the alveoli to rupture even without holding your breath.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:13 PM

I'm sure all of us smokers appreciate the public service announcements, but now back to the regularly scheduled topic. It figures this question would come up at a Mensa meeting, I've seen weirder. Putting aside the logistics of lighting a cigarette, lets say you have a full face plate with room for a small cig, or a small pressurized bell,or bag you could stick your head into, one of the key drawbacks to smoking at depth would be the high partial pressure of the O2. It would be a QUICK smoke! If you were deep enough, you may come back up with new facial features. :teeth:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users