• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What diving computer do you own?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 underh2o2long

underh2o2long

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW.... going for Master diver..Master Jedi
  • Logged Dives:Open water certified in 1983 100+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:14 AM

I am in the process of replacing my Suunto Cobra with a wrist hoseless computer. I would like to know what other people are using for feedback, so here is what I ask...

What diving computer(s) do you own?
Are you happy with it?
Is it console or wrist mount?
Where did you buy from, and what did you pay?

Thanks for all replies in advance..... David
" Do everything in life that you want to do... someday you will be too old or in bad health to do it, live with no regrets." ---My Grandfather at 101 years of age---

#2 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:21 AM

Uwatec Aladin Prime console from LDS. Don't remember how much I paid. One thing I don't like about it is the saftety stop doesn't start a countdown automatically at 20 or 15 ft. It's a manual thing and sometimes I don't push the button right to start it. I can never remember if it's a short push or long push and it is kind of tempermental. Also, if you drop below 20 ft. (like I didin the surge in NC) it will stop the countdown and you have to start over. I was looking at my profiles, and one safety stop lasted 12 minutes with all the restarts.
It's my first computer so I don't know how it compares with other, eg. being conservative with bottom times. It seems to be pretty liberal with no fly times. Like after 6 days of repetitive dives in Roatan, it gave me a no fly time of about 15 hours.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:26 AM

I have a Genesis Resource Nitrox computer that I bought several years ago in Melbourne, FL from Hatt's Dive Shop. It was on sale, I think I paid about $180 for it. They no longer make this model. It is perfect for my use and I put it in a console.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:40 AM

What diving computer(s) do you own?

Orca Edge (2), Oceanic Data Plus (2) Genesis React

Are you happy with it?

Yes, the Edge has the absolute best display ever on any computer yet built. Yes, the Data Plus is easy to read and simple to use. Moderately so, the React is more diffucult to use than the others.

All three can be adapted to either attachment, although the Edge is a hose, rather than console attachment. I typically dive with the React in the console and a Data Plus on my wrist.

Where did you buy from, and what did you pay?

I bought my 1st Edge from Tavernier Dive Center for $575, I bought my second Edge from my friend's estate after he died in a tragic diving accident. I don't remember what I paid, but it was approximately $100. My 1st Data Plus was a Christmas gift from my exwife. My second Data Plus and the React were purchased from a local shop, but I have a deal with the owner not to reveal my costs on any equipment. I believe the React is the only one currently being produced.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:55 AM

Dacor Darwin Air (same thing as Mares AirLab).

Yep, like it a lot. The display is a bit overwhelming at first (it's air integrated), but once you get used to it, you can glean a lot of information about what's going on real quick.

It's console, but it has a 'quick disconnect'. So when the dive is over, I don't have to take my regulator off to read the numbers for my log book. Also, I can dive w/o the computer (ie pool sessions), which is nice to keep it from getting banged up.

'twas a Christmas present from my parents (who own a dive shop). It's about $750 retail (last time I paid attention, which was last summer).

Now, what I've seen that might be a fit for what you're looking for:

Mares makes the 'Nemo', which is kinda neat, but kinda expensive (same price range as my computer, but not air integrated). And the display is not all that great, I'm not a big fan of it.

A diver I know and respect dives with a computer called the Mosqueto, not sure who makes it (Aeris?). I liked it a lot, so did severl other divers in that group. I'm not sure if it is still being made however.

Oceanic also makes a couple of wrist mounted computers, and what I've seen of their stuff (which doen't include their wrist mounted computers), is pretty good quality.

-Warthog

Edited by Warthog, 19 August 2005 - 08:00 AM.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:22 AM

I was looking at my profiles, and one safety stop lasted 12 minutes with all the restarts.

Not used to a computer that required you to push a button like that...is that an older model of Aladin? However having 12 mins of safety stop in NC is NOT a bad thing with so many cudas to keep you company under the boat. Or even sharks on the last dive on the last day of the Aug NC trip!

It's my first computer so I don't know how it compares with other, eg. being conservative with bottom times. It seems to be pretty liberal with no fly times. Like after 6 days of repetitive dives in Roatan, it gave me a no fly time of about 15 hours.

Aladin is considered a bit conservative compared to say Cochran or some other liberal computers. However it is the computer of choice for many technical divers on the East Coast and many NC divers. Almost all the Diver Down crew use that computer as do I.

As for no fly...your dive tables tell you the no-fly rule is 12 hours. Most people including DAN now say 18 hours and 24 has always been an additional safety margin...not a hard rule as some of us are taught. And I'm guessing you didn't do lots of deep dives in Honduras...just lots of dives. Either way...your Aladin is a great computer.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

Uwatec Aladdin Pro. Formerly wrist mounted, but strap broke so now I have it tied to my console. Too cheap to pay $30+ for a new strap.

Like it with some exceptions. It does not display temp, and one can only get the min temp and that is only if you buy the data mouse ($150) to download the unit's data to your computer. I've had it for 4 years and about 1,000 dives. Battery has drained to 45% which means I might get another 3 years out of it. Then I'll buy one with a more complete data display. Happy with it until then.

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

That is an excellent question...one that most divers should consider as much as the brand that they choose.

Some wrist mounted computers are air integrated and show gas comsumption as well as bottom time and time remaining to no deco etc. while others are not.

Do you want to look one place for all your vital diving information or two?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:42 AM

I carry two Oceanics, which compute loads with the same calculations - one wrist and one on console. Some don't like the "liberal nature" of Pelagic computers, but I suspect they skip over the part in the manual of leaving the water in the Green zone - not the Yellow, if possible.

I like the display, controls, and water activation of the Versa Pro over the older Date Plus 2. Of course, the water activation has a weakness if you change Nitrox blends from one day to the next, or don't turn off the Default - something I always turn off. I think the Versa Pro is less than $300 at Scuba Toys.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't trust hoseless computers. Too many bad experiences with cell phones I guess.

Edited by DandyDon, 19 August 2005 - 08:43 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#10 underh2o2long

underh2o2long

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW.... going for Master diver..Master Jedi
  • Logged Dives:Open water certified in 1983 100+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Wreckwench- Thats is one reason I am moving to a wrist computer, I think I will find it more comfortable to read and use than my Cobra. Other than that, I really love my cobra... David

Edited by underh2o2long, 19 August 2005 - 08:50 AM.

" Do everything in life that you want to do... someday you will be too old or in bad health to do it, live with no regrets." ---My Grandfather at 101 years of age---

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

An old Oceanic data plus in my consol and a Veo on my wrist, like the big numbers but hate the battery set up on the Veo.
Data + is from an LDS and the Veo is from LP.
I wouldn't buy a hoseless because that's just more batteries to carry and more things to go wrong. :respect: :usflag:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:51 AM

I dive a Suunto D3 bottom timer, with a Citizen Hyper Aqualand bottom timer for a backup.

I quit using a computer about 2 years ago.

It's a personal choice, to be sure... but the point is that I think it's human nature to buy more stuff than we really need... lots of computers do lots of nifty things, and cost LOADS of money, but at the end of the day all they really do is figure dive tables. They do a great job of telling us what happened, but can't anticipate what's about to happen - only the brain can do that, so my brain is my dive computer.

I would encourage a shopper not to compare features of one computer against another, but instead compare features against what you need (NEED) it to do.

For me personally:

- I don't wanna be on a dive trip and have a transmitter fail on a hoseless unit.

- I don't wanna have to look at a console to see my depth while I'm operating my BC (both are left-handed operations), and it's difficult to do both at the same time.

- I don't want something battery powered telling me how much gas I have left.

- I want the most simple, reliable, consistent tools I can find, with the smallest number of possible failures.

Thus, I dive a simple brass and glass SPG and a simple depth gauge/bottom timer.

YMMV,

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#13 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:53 AM

I am using the VR3 with a Suunto VyTec for back-up.

Pricey, but as there are few computers on the market that will handle mix, the VR3 is now my primary. The Suunto goes into gauge mode when I am diving mix and stays in Nitrox mode at other times.

If you are looking for less conservative, any Suunto product is not the answer. I do like the way that the Suunto's let you figure your own stops on the way up and just gives you a ceiling.

Displays? Well the color screen on the VR3 is nice to call attention to things that you need to see. Unlike the Suunto, it has no audible alarms to annoy other divers. It will flash at you though.

They are both good dive computers. Oh, I don't recommend the hoseless AI myself. Mine (off the VyTec) got disconnected awhile back. I do recommend the wrist mount.

Edited by Diverbrian, 19 August 2005 - 08:56 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#14 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

I have an Aeris Atmos II and love it. It can wrist mount, but I've since had it dropped into my console (so it's versatile). Love the big face and buttons. It's easy to get stored data off of it, and has a downloadable feature so you can upload it directy to your computer (although I never use this).

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

BTW, may I interject this question here: How often do you change your puter battery?

I started changing mine every year 3 years ago, as I think the book suggested this. Of course, the book was written by the company who sells the batteries. :respect:

Now, I have 2 puters, the battery in the Versa Pro looks full (the older one does not have a battery indicator), and slightly used spares I carry on trips that test full on a gauge.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users