• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rebuilding computer...only have internet access!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

Well today started out early for me...about 5:30am so that I could get my day job done and a bunch of stuff I needed to do for SD. Afterall, tonight is our wild and crazy Happy Hour with such awesome out of town guests as ScubaPunk as well as the awesome DFW area SD gang!

At about 6:01 am our neighborhood lost power. Confirming my worst suspicions it was not storm related but rather the substation had gone down which meant a long wait at best. (The last time we lost the substation we were without power for almost 3 days.)

At about 9:55 the power came back on. After returning flashlights and candles to their proper home I started the arduous process of relogging in. I expected that the abrupt power failure would have caused windows to shut down improperly but I did not expect it to hose up the operating system completely. After vainly attempting the standard reboot, unplug wait reboot cycles we proceeded to try re-installing windows-xp. Unfortunately the system would not recognize the disk in the drive and in the proverbial computer terms...it was 'toast'.

So I am trying to see if the backups I so religiously run everyday have actually worked. However I have to install the base programs I use on the back up system I have for such an occasion. Boy all this set up work takes forever and I still don't have access to anything but the internet and my pm's. :birthday:

So please bear with me as I struggle to get stuff done today and whoever has the 'stiff on'e at the DFW SD HH tonight...I think I have first dibs on it!!! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:12 PM

K, with all that valuable information on your computer, you REALLY should think about getting a GOOD Power Backup that will shut-down your computer manually when power is interrupted.

Just a suggetion.
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#3 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:20 PM

Yea, I have to agree with ZenDiver. I can't tell you how many home PCs got fried on Guam due to these kinds of power outages...which by the way, happened multiple times a day :birthday:

Hope your day has gotten better :birthday:
"

#4 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

I hate it when that happens. The power around here seems to go off for no reason at all at times. A couple of years ago I blamed it on the grocery store but they've been there long enough now that they should have figured out the power grid. Good luck rebuilding and I hope your backups were complete.

#5 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

I hope those backups work well for you Kamala!

#6 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

Well today started out early for me...about 5:30am so that I could get my day job done and a bunch of stuff I needed to do for SD. Afterall, tonight is our wild and crazy Happy Hour with such awesome out of town guests as ScubaPunk as well as the awesome DFW area SD gang!

At about 6:01 am our neighborhood lost power. Confirming my worst suspicions it was not storm related but rather the substation had gone down which meant a long wait at best. (The last time we lost the substation we were without power for almost 3 days.)

At about 9:55 the power came back on. After returning flashlights and candles to their proper home I started the arduous process of relogging in. I expected that the abrupt power failure would have caused windows to shut down improperly but I did not expect it to hose up the operating system completely. After vainly attempting the standard reboot, unplug wait reboot cycles we proceeded to try re-installing windows-xp. Unfortunately the system would not recognize the disk in the drive and in the proverbial computer terms...it was 'toast'.

So I am trying to see if the backups I so religiously run everyday have actually worked. However I have to install the base programs I use on the back up system I have for such an occasion. Boy all this set up work takes forever and I still don't have access to anything but the internet and my pm's. :unsure:

So please bear with me as I struggle to get stuff done today and whoever has the 'stiff on'e at the DFW SD HH tonight...I think I have first dibs on it!!! :o

I hope the External HDD you said you had backed up to actually had what you needed as far as recent files...
Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#7 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

I agree with the UPS backup suggestion. Good luck with it...unfortunately, "technology happens!"
:unsure:

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:12 PM

K, with all that valuable information on your computer, you REALLY should think about getting a GOOD Power Backup that will shut-down your computer manually when power is interrupted.

Just a suggetion.

ZD,

she had a battery backup until a power surge last week took it out! I think a trip to Home Depot is in order to get a replacement surge protector, though. I think this surge probably ruined her surge protector too

#9 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:30 PM

Just a suggetion.

ZD,

she had a battery backup until a power surge last week took it out! I think a trip to Home Depot is in order to get a replacement surge protector, though. I think this surge probably ruined her surge protector too

I guess when the surge fries the surge protector, you're just hosed!
"

#10 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

Just a suggetion.

ZD,

I guess when the surge fries the surge protector, you're just hosed!

Her computer is on a surge protector and still got fried. So, I'm thinking it needs to be replaced as well

#11 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

1 800 BUY DELL!!!!

This paid advertisement brought to you by the family of DBD who have three small children to raise!!

:birthday: for your support!!!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#12 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

external hard drive and a APC smart ups! just a suggestion.

Which end is up?

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

Kim is right!! After a number of hits it seems that your surge protector just can't do its job!! Hmm....seems like many things in this world...er...whoops! wrong thread!!! :lmao:

So the surge protector has now been replaced and the battery backup that fried out as well is also replaced. It appears my data on my hdd is valid...had to load the applications on my completely redundant networked backup pc in order to look at the data. :birthday: Just finished loading the email client and resetting up those accounts. (Yep I remembered to keep a copy on the server so I can get them back onto my main system after we trouble shoot the windows xp failure on it. Ok! Ok! so actually Tolly ensured that I did that part properly!)

So basically I am now up and running...and now its time to hurry to the Happy Hour! At least I can be a lot happier knowing it only took me 10 hours to be able to start work today!!! :lmao:

And on a serious note...

The question of just how secure is SD's data has come up and I thought I'd give you an update.

1. The financial data in the new acctg program is backed up via a 3rd party online server as well as manually onto my harddrive.

2. The harddrive is backed up daily to an external harddrive that can operate stand alone or as a storage device.

3. Before going on a trip..the external hdd is dropped at a safety deposit box in the event of castastrophic disaster.

4. Emails are typically downloaded off the server however as I mentioned, they will be retained until I can download them onto my main operating system.

5. Of course the website and surface interval message board and databases are backed up 2-3 times a week given the size of the system and are stored in several places including the ISP's data warehousing.

6. And I have a completely networked second computer that I can switch too, download the data from the HDD and start working again. Well...NOW I can do that. :lmao: I guess ya gotta have the applications in addition to the operating system to work as seemlessly as I had envisioned. But now I have both and I'm pleased to say that my redundancy and disaster recovery plan has worked, and will work even better should I need it again! :)

And I just want to thank Tolly for helping SD set up this plan. He is the brainchild of it and I am soooooooo relieved that it has worked!! :diver: I just wish I was quicker in loading and reloading stuff onto the other pc...now we know why I'm NOT in IT for a living!!! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cert Level:OWC-Mostly muddy lakes and spring water. Dove Cozumel a few years ago, I'm hooked....enough said
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

Just as an added second note for the benefit of redundancy, if your interested there is such a thing as a fail secure surge suppressor. It has a fuse in it that will go out in a surge. The primary failures of surge suppression is of course, caused by surge itself. Most devices are considered fail safe and they will continue to let power feed through them even if they are damaged. Fail secure types will not. They will break the power circuit and you are aware then they that may be compromised. Most times surges can hit back to back in tenthes of seconds. First surge takes out the suppressor and the second surge can then damage components. Fail secure will minimize this possibility. Nothing is 100%, but it does help tremendously.

But all that is way too serious. Have a great HH and one day I'm gonna make the trip up to big D for one of these. Have fun everyone!!!!! :birthday:

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual!

I am certified! But then, you must be, to do ow training dives in Canyon Lake......

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

Don't surge protectors come with a large replacement warranty for electronics they fail to protect?
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users