• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flower Gardens

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:OW 2, Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:21 PM

:welcome: Hello all- I am new to the board and looking forward to joining you on a trip sometime soon. Just got back from Belize Aggressor- very nice trip. Now planning next one and considering the Flower Gardens. No group trip planned for my week off unfortunately- July 10-18th. Would like some feedback on this trip as to the boats and diving. I've done a fair number of liveaboards like the Aggressor, Spoilsport, Seahunter- what are these Texas boats like and what are the typical dive profiles? Thanks for sharing. I'll try to get a pic up soon!
Ciao

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

I went on the Spree (same as the Fling) a few years ago and this is more like camping than the Aggressor or PH boats, your bunk is small and just a curtain for privacy. The food was good but sailing from Texas everything was some form of beef.
The diving was outstanding and the sites offered plenty of variety, the Flower Gardens are like a deep Florida reef, Stetson Bank like swimming along a mountain ridge and each oil rig has different marine life depending on it's age.
One warning, this is advanced diving, currents can change in the middle of a dive and if you get swept away you are a long way from help.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

Ask No pressure..he'll give you some great info. I will be moving down to Galveston in a few months and he was telling me to check out that dive.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#4 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

Actually I think ZD is the one to ask but I think he is gone for the weekend. He DM's on boats down there so he should have the full scoop.

#5 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:25 PM

I did the Fling early March - the first weekend the boats got out this year! It was a great trip. We saw hammerheads, mantas, tiger sharks, rays and sand sharks! Water was rougher than I was used to - but great fun. If you are prone to getting sea sick - GO PREPARED. ZD was on the Spree (figures) so he wasn't my divemaster - but the divemaster on the Fling was great. I have been on the Agressor Fleet and doing Peter Hughes in two weeks - The Fling and Spree are nice boats..........but scale down your thoughts a little from the bigger boats you have been on! VERY NICE PEOPLE THOUGH - I hope to do the trip again and end up on ZD's boat.

Sandy
Known puker

#6 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:36 PM

Actually I think ZD is the one to ask but I think he is gone for the weekend. He DM's on boats down there so he should have the full scoop.

Whoah! A man of multi talents!!! :) Wonder what else he does???? You know, in his spare time....
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#7 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback- I'll call the diveboats this week and check on availability of trips- maybe I'll get to see the whale sharks in July. For a shorter trip I'll be fine on a less luxurious boat- I've got my earplugs and eyeshades! Do they let you dive your computer or are there preset time/ depth limitations? I really like doing my own thing, which the liveaboards I've been on have been great about.
:fish:

#8 sunlover

sunlover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:366

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:37 PM

Hi nycamico, I've done the Flower Gardens twice. Very nice trips. Lots of diving for few bucks. Some tips: The trips don't go out if the weather in the Gulf of Mexico is poor. So have a "back-up plan" to fill the weekend if the trip cancels. July would very likely be a good time to do the trip since the weather will probably be OK. My two trips were in June and July (but I had trips cancelled in Sept,Nov, and March). If you've been on "real" liveaboards, consider these accommodations like a dormatory with a mess-hall. You must dive your computer because the only limit they give you is depth. You cannot book a trip with the boat - you must book thru a dive shop that has spots reserved on the boat when you want to go. Their website lists the dive shops that are scheduled for various dates and how to contact them. It is advanced diving, often with big-time currents. Have Fun. Tom.

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

I've never done FG but one of my buddies worked for FGNMS briefly. Many of their research diving trips out there were cancelled due to weather, but this was in winter. She did send an awesome picture of her next to a massive whale shark (she is a tiny little thing at 5' 5" and 115#). I had hoped to get out there and dive FG with her but she hightailed it back to paradise (CA) before I could.

Wonder how you enjoyed the Belize Aggressor trip Nycamico. They didn't seem to be going out much while I was down there working on the Lindblad ship.

Dr. Bill

#10 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:50 AM

I am still considering this trip- although not sure what I would do to " fill the weekend" in Texas. Maybe all these Texans can help me out there. I have that whole week off- so am tempted to go further for diving-just don't like doing land based solo trips. I could book back to back on the boats and get 4 days in...

DrB- Belize was a blast. Really healthy coral and beautiful conditions. Mindless diving really- no current, warm water, the boat moored directly over the walls. Howard and Michelle Hall were on the boat filming a documentary for PBS- very cool to watch them. My fantasy life,sigh..... The Blue Hole was interesting-would have been great to go deeper than 130 to see more formations. I guess I need to get cracking on some plans here- or just wait for last minute deals. This was the time I was asking about the dry suit course too- just trying to come up with something different than diving in paradise. Then there's sailing school so I can get qualified for bareboat charters....
a multitude of options
:teeth:

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:34 AM

When is your time off at? Yes you can do about 4-5 days total of diving or even 7 if you do Thurs/Fri then Sat/Sun and then M-W. You definitely want to be on the Fling and especially if ZD is working the trip. I'll pm him to tell him you are looking to go. When do you have in mind...we might get some folks together to join you!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:50 AM

Keep me posted - nycamico and I have already discussed it via p/m - would be a fun sd trip!!!

Sandy
Known puker

#13 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:52 AM

My week off is July 10-18th. I pm'd ZD for info on the shops that had that week booked. The first half of the week is teachers, so I think Thurs thru Sun are the available dates. July 15-18th. If we could put together a group that would be awesome! Thanks for the feed back.
:teeth:

#14 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:52 AM

oh - and nycamico - I am in Arlington - about 4 1/2 hours from Freeport - but you are welcome to hang here for a day or two - all I could offer to ya in Alrington would be either a Rangers game or Six Flags though!

Sandy
Known puker

#15 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

Umm, Rangers... that's like some kind of sports team right?
;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users