• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tanks - they command respect

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:59 PM

Well I found out this past weekend what a tank looks like when it's on full blast, on the ground, and spinning...scary! I've had first stages blow before, but nothing like having a bare tank out of control, like this one was. A compressor whip connection failed while filling tanks blowing one of my tanks over and oh geez mayhem! :teeth: :fish: :o We'll be doing some floor and wall repairs...

Has anyone had a major incident with their tanks or seen an incident?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

YIKES!!!!!!! I hope you and everyone else was ok!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

Compressed air in a SCUBA tank can be impressive when things go wrong. A SCUBA tank can lift a locomotive off the ground when it explodes. Not anywhere I want to be. And no, I have never seen a tank explode. I don't want to either. I'm glad you were not injured.

Edited by Dennis, 19 September 2005 - 02:10 PM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

I saw a welding tank fall off a truck once, the valve snapped off and it flew about half a block before coming down in a yard so it always makes me nervious when someone leaves a tank unbungied on the boat.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:13 PM

no, but I have been in a shop a week after a tank went kaboom. not a giant explosion, but there was a perfect tank valve hole in the ceiling of the building. the guy said his ears still rang from time to time.

it was a reinforced submerged tank fill area so no one was hurt.

I had a burst disk go while tanks were in the trunk, papers went all over the place.

:teeth: Lost of clean up.

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

YIKES!!!!!!!  I hope you and everyone else was ok!

Everyone was in the front of the shop , so no one was hurt exactly - dive_addict took a little beating trying to get a hand on the whip, but he and one of my DMCs shut everything down! I like brave boys!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

My former cave instructor was placed in a coma after in improper sized valve from a partially filled tank (around 1800 psi) shot of of the tank, just missing his head. The blast of air picked him up, through him into the roof of the building and then about ten feet back.

After a long hospitalization, and having many permanent physical impairments from these injuries, he will never be the same. He ended out selling his shop, and he will never be able to be a cave instructor again.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:55 PM

For those of you who haven't seen what happens when a SCUBA tank gets a hole or a broken valve, please DON't check out WhalerKyle's thread on the subject on ScubaBoard. It has received FAR too much attention already. He has an MPEG video linked.

I was down at my favorite LDS' shop the other day. I had my BCD on and turned to grab something out of their truck. My BCD hit a metal cart which fell down on a stack of AL tanks left standing upright. I only knocked five of them down and, fortunately, no damage. For some reason they wouldn't let me do it a second time to see if I could at least pick up a "spare."

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:12 PM

My former cave instructor was placed in a coma after in improper sized valve from a partially filled tank (around 1800 psi) shot of of the tank, just missing his head. The blast of air picked him up, through him into the roof of the building and then about ten feet back.

After a long hospitalization, and having many permanent physical impairments from these injuries, he will never be the same. He ended out selling his shop, and he will never be able to be a cave instructor again.

I am so sorry to hear that. In our situation, there was nothing improper with the tank or connection. It was simply a hose that gave.

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

A tank exploded whilst being filled at a dive center in Key Largo when I was there a few years ago. Took someone's leg off. And A friend who works for British Oxygen in England once saw a scuba-sized tank dropped on the valve, which then sheared off. The tank went through a total of four brick walls and two concrete ones.

#11 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:51 PM

am so sorry to hear that. In our situation, there was nothing improper with the tank or connection. It was simply a hose that gave

You might try running cord from one end of the hose to the other half hitches along the way and securly fastened on each end. It will keep the tank attached tot he broken hose end. This has worked for us for years. 9 times out of 10 the hose does not seperate completly anyway but that tenth time its nice not to have a hose going balistic.

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#12 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:55 AM

please DON't check out WhalerKyle's thread on the subject on ScubaBoard.

hey Pandora, keep an eye on this box for me would ya? and whatever you do, don't open it.

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#13 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:18 AM

please DON't check out WhalerKyle's thread on the subject on ScubaBoard.

hey Pandora, keep an eye on this box for me would ya? and whatever you do, don't open it.

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

:P :lmao: :lmao:

Ok, I won't. No way! Not tempted in the least. Don't want to know what's in the box or behind the curtain. Could be some super duper exploding scuba tank. :-D

#14 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:13 AM

and for those with nothing better to do, and yet don't feel like spending all day looking for it, when you find the thread, its on page 47.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#15 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

I've seen a tank blow and shoot up in the air like a bottle rocket then roll until it struck a picnic table and stopped while the remaining air depleted. When I made my first dive in Texas, it was 107 F. A class left their tanks sitting on rocks. Isn't that a great way to cook food at Boy Scout jamborees? Two bursts disks blew and the tanks turned into rollers one right after the other. If anyone saw the "Jaws" special of Myth Busters, they experimented to see what would happen if you shot an 80 cuft cylinder with a rifle. Good times.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users