• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tanks - they command respect

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:29 AM

DG,
Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#17 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

I want to pay attention to the man behind the curtain..... :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#18 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

I want to pay attention to the man behind the curtain..... :teeth:

meow meow meow
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#19 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:33 AM

:teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#20 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Great Post Nicolle! :wakawaka:

I have never seen a TANK GONE WILD before and hopefully wont!

DrBill

For some reason they wouldn't let me do it a second time to see if I could at least pick up a "spare."

:dancing:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#21 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

And so it goes my luck with tanks - while on the NC trip the bungee securing my tank failed to hold and my tank took a nose dive right onto the valve. What happened? I was diving with a yoke reg, which was bent no longer allowing the regulator to secure properly (so I switched to a different reg set courtesy fo VADiver). And, the tank valve was also damaged leaking air from the neck - the captain checked it at the end of the day and switched out the tank in morning, that was very much appreciated.

Note, good thing I hadn't left my tank on or it could have been a much different scene when that yoke popped right off the tank valve!

And no, I'm still not filling tanks....:)

[ps, how on earth did I previously miss that page 47 comment... :) ]

#22 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

:welcome: :angel2: :fish2: Ya'll didn't see the Mythbusters episode where they acually try'd to get a tank to explode?.....it woldnt't blow up but it did fly quite well!
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#23 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

[ps, how on earth did I previously miss that page 47 comment... :welcome: ]

It appears someone got annoyed :angel2: with the thread and deleted all of the embedded pictures, which moved the URL to the video up to page 43.

If you don't want to wade through the comments, the direct link is right HERE! :lmao: If they wanted to explode it, a nice wrap of primacord would have worked better. :fish:

I know what I won't be doing with an M1 Garand and my steel 80 this weekend! :fish2: If anyone's up to duplicating the experiment, I might recommend a sabot round instead... it'll punch a smaller diameter hole, and it's more likely to penetrate on the first hit rather than the FMJs they used.

Looks like Kyle needs to spend some time at the range! It sounded like the third shot pierced but didn't penetrate, the sixth finally did the trick.

(Don't feel bad, Nicolle, I missed the whole thread last year!)

#24 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

oh man that was interesting to watch. i just circulated that link to a few friends and its going to be interesting to see the reactions.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#25 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

I saw a photo once of a car that had an old SCUBA tank breach in its trunk. Not just a small hole, but a seam 2/3 of the way down the side of the tank. The whole back end of the car was shredded. Looked like it got hit by an 18 wheeler at 60MPH.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#26 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:30 AM

I've seen the results of a couple scuba and a couple industial,none of it pretty.The scariest one was Bever Aquatics in Campbell River BC.It was an alum 80 and the neck split and the tank broke into several pieces.What caused the most damage was the 1st stage remained connected to the fill whip and just kept flying around 'bouncing' off things.The guy filling would have been standing next to the tank except that a customer had entered the store so he'd gone up front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users