• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Life Has a Way of Taking Funny Turns

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

By now many of you have seen the announcement of the newly active zendiving made by Kamala & the subsequent change in status of Zendiver, TheSassyRabbit & myself that was included in that post. Although I was not notified of the change until after the fact, I am not entirely dismayed by the outcome. I’ve been procrastinating on submitting my resignation for weeks now because of my reluctance to give up my role at sd.com- a site that I have been involved in, & a moderator on, nearly since inception. My reasons for resigning are twofold & have nothing to do with my new involvement on zd.com, which I do not see as a conflict of interest. I am, after all, also a moderator on www.scubaboard.com & that was never seen as a conflict. Both those boards have a different vision than sd.com & I believe that there is room for all of these boards in the cyber diving community.

My reasons for wanting to resign are twofold. First, as my post title indicated, life has a way of sending curve balls our way sometimes- sometimes good ones. As many of you know, I had started a new job nearly three months ago with the company that provides most of the IT support for my old company. Well, it seems as if one of the Directors at my old company did not want to lose the knowledge of PeopleSoft that I had acquired during my tenure there & is also a firm believer in promoting from within when merited. Although he was blocked from taking me out of my old department when we first spoke many months ago, all bets were off when I left the company. He immediately contacted me & we have been negotiating my return in an entirely new role- a huge step up the career ladder for me- as a systems administrator on the PeopleSoft team. I’m very excited by the prospect but know that my new career will be very demanding, especially at first, since I will be learning the back end of PeopleSoft & also how to use multiple tools & applications that are used to manage the environment.

The second reason is a little more discomforting. I have some entirely different views on how the message board & trips should be handled on sd.com &, since I cannot support some of the decisions of the owners completely, felt that it would be best if I stepped down as a moderator on the site. That would have been communicated to George, Kamala, & the rest of the Mods by this weekend since the start of my new job would have been a natural break point. I’m only sorry that I did not communicate my decision before this all came about but I believe that we are all in agreement that the decision for us to part ways in an official capacity is a good one, no matter how it came about.

I care deeply about sd.com & hope to continue as an active member of the site for a long time to come as a Premier Member. The site vision is fantastic & the members are amazing- I’ve made so many good friends here. I fully expect to be on trips with sd.com in the future & to dive with any of you who come my way. I’ve truly enjoyed being a part of the volunteer staff here & have learned so much by my participation. Chez Marvel’s & my side yard are always here for all of my friends & future friends on sd.com.

I also want to take a moment to thank Kamala, George, & all my fellow mods. Despite any differences in philosophy & style that we might have, they are all great people & it has been my privilege to know them, to work with them, & to learn from them. I wish them all much success & happiness in the future.

[post reinstated -DG]

Edited by Dive_Girl, 22 September 2005 - 03:07 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

Marvel,

I wish you all the best in your new job and, I too, and so pleased to have gotten the chance to know you! You are an amazing person and I am glad you will still be around in some capacity!
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#3 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

Marvel, how awesome for you...congrats!!!!! :wakawaka: :rolleyes: I know with PeopleSoft you will have your hands full with lots of new and exciting challenges.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#4 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Congratulations, gal! Couldn't happen to a nicer person. Stick to the path and do well!!!

:rolleyes: :2cool: :2cool:

:marvel: is :wakawaka:

Edited by drdiver, 20 September 2005 - 06:21 PM.

There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#5 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:24 PM

You know I wish nothing but the best for you Marvel...on the job, on the board, in the ocean, in your personal life....

:wakawaka: for serving as such a great role model for me when I was brought in to moderate! You'll always be Queen Mod in my heart!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

Marvel - I couldn't have said it better than Terri! Best of luck to you and thank you once again for showing us the moderating ropes!

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

While I'm sorry to see that you'll no longer be in your Moderator capacity here at SD.com, I'm glad you've decided to stay on as a Premier Member. Your wit, wisdom and warmth are most appreciated, Marvel! :wakawaka:

As well, congratulations on your new job! :rolleyes: (I'd wish you *luck* but such a smart and savvy lady doesn't need it. :2cool:)

Edited by annasea, 20 September 2005 - 06:53 PM.

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

Marvel,
Congrats and best of luck in all areas of your life. I have loved getting to know you here on SD.
I can't wait for Feb to get here so I can take a few dives in your side yard.
Love ya..
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#9 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

Best wishes to you with all the exciting changes!!! :o
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:48 PM

Marvel good luck in your new job! Its about time they gave you that promotion you've deserved!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

Best of luck to you, although I'll miss being Pixilated by Tinkerbell.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#12 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:44 AM

Marvel,

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#13 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

Well, sorry this thread went in a different direction before I got a chance to say "Congrats on your new job Marvel." I might be coming down your way (if I can find decent airfare) and Walter told me all about your side yard. I'm all a flutter just thinking about how lucky you are. :lmao:

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

Ellen,

We're looking forward to your visit. Get ready for lots of diving!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Ellen,

We're looking forward to your visit. Get ready for lots of diving!

Jet Blue is now flying out of Newark, but they are very confusing in their pricing. They give you the price for departing and returning tickets separately??? I've never seen that before. At first I got all excited!! $119. Then I saw it was just for departing. Coming back it was $299. So I guess I'll just have to stay forever. :teeth:
Oh, and my son got an invitation to a sweet 16 party on the Saturday of that weekend. ARRGGHHH!!! I told him I was going diving. :lmao: And can you believe this invitation said "formal attire" Does that mean a tux?? If it's a tux, fuhgetabout. I'm not paying for any stinking tux for a sweet 16 party. The girl is probably a bitch anyway. :taz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users