• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Staying on topic

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Hi guys and gals,

We have had a few people tell us they are having trouble finding posts. They are having trouble because our conversations tend to wander a great deal. It would be easier to keep track of things if we followed a strick no off topic posts policy. OTOH, that would change the atmosphere and we are really happy with the atmosphere, we don't want it to change.

I'm looking for feed back from our users. What do you think we should do?

A few suggestions:

1. Ignore it, it's not an issue.

2. Delete off topic posts.

3. Allow conversations to wander, but remind people of the topic and bring it gently back into line.

4. Some combination of the above such as:

Ignore it in some forums (New to Single Divers.com, Nondiving and Other Topics Related to Being Single). Allow conversations to wander, but remind people of the topic and bring it gently back into line in other forums (General Diving, New Divers
Dive Training and Your Trip Reports).

Split out all wandering posts in other forums (SD.com Singles Trips, Feedback & Suggestions, and SingleDiver.com Stuff...)

Perhaps you have an new idea................

Let me hear from you. Please stay on topic! LOL!

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#2 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:21 PM

i vote for option c:

Ignore it in some forums (New to Singel Divers.com, Nondiving and Other Topics Related to Being Single). Allow conversations to wander, but remind people of the topic and bring it gently back into line in other forums (General Diving, New Divers

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:22 PM

Gawd, I'm glad you breought this up before I did. Been biting my reg over this. :P

Perhaps you have an new idea................

40 lashes and wash them in brine! :teeth:

Okay, how about this one...

Ignore it in some forums (New to Singel Divers.com, Nondiving and Other Topics Related to Being Single). Allow conversations to wander, but remind people of the topic and bring it gently back into line in other forums (General Diving, New Divers Dive Training and Your Trip Reports).

Yeah, that sounds good...
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

(YODA) Ignore it in some forums (New to Singel Divers.com, Nondiving and Other Topics Related to Being Single). Allow conversations to wander, but remind people of the topic and bring it gently back into line in other forums (General Diving, New Divers

Ok, I don't mind wandering in the singles/non-diving/etc threads. But it does tend to be a pain in the more serious categories such as Dive training...etc. I am for making it strict in those areas, but leaving the other threads open to wandering. I agree, that makes this site fun and interesting. OTOH, I like to have serious conversations (believe it or not!!!) when learning new things about diving.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#5 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:33 PM

I'd rather deal with a wandering thread than see the mods splitting things out into a million smaller threads.

I do think the serious Q&A threads should try to stay on topic, sort of... I do enjoy the occaisional breakdowns into Yoda & Pink Snorkel references, but as we seem to be getting more members with more serious questions, we should try to find a balance between having fun and being serious.

Topics relating to singles? Free for all!!! I would hate to see all the angels, snorkels, whips, chains, and otherwise incredibly fun banter and inuendo become a thing of the past.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the feed back so far guys, I hope more people voice their opinions.

40 lashes? This has possibilities.........<slap> back on topic.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

what about Darth Vader references? Oops...sry...I agrre with CT about keeping single stuff free for anything.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 03:50 PM

Let's keep the singles threads pretty much free, but for the convience of members finding info, try to stay on topic on the informational forums.

I personally don't see a problem with Yoda and Darth Vader references (or things of that nature) as long as there is something on topic within a post or two.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:40 PM

is there a problem here? of course, l don't send 50 posts a day either :fish:
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the feed back so far guys, I hope more people voice their opinions.

40 lashes? This has possibilities.........<slap> back on topic.

Depends on who is doing the lashing....and with what???? Pink snorkels seem ok by me...now who do I get to lash???? :fish:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

Depends on who is doing the lashing....and with what???? Pink snorkels seem ok by me...now who do I get to lash????

Darlin',

Please focus on the topic at hand.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

i really enjoy the banter (wow, bet everyone is surprised at THAT,huh?!). i think that's what makes this site what it is, and why i'm here instead of some dull, dry, boring (albeit informative) site where people come off as being legends in their own minds. there is very very little of that here. yet i have learned things, as has everyone here.

so please don't be too strict. keep 'single' topics fun; gently guide us back to the point in other forums. we're all adults; even if we occasionally let the inner kid out i think the mods do a great job of reining us back in....

how 'bout them cubs, huh??

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

OK...I'll weigh in on this as well....

I for one have been one of the primary pushes (or was that shoves) behind doing away with the off topic icon and worrying about being off topic in the first place. And I don' t want to change it...however....

Now that we have almost 300 members vs 30...its a bit more of a nusiance when 30 people go off topic then when only 3 went off topic in the same thread mind you. And then there is the going off topic of the off topics! :fish: But that is another thread!

I would like to see us be a bit more disciplined in certain forums and if you wander a bit please wonder to similar subject matter. For example if talking about cave diving it would be ok to wander to similar types of diving i.e. wreck diving but lets not wander to how the hockey teams are doing.

On the other hand...if we are talking about a joke or some other fun topic such as welcoming a new member which is ALWAYS fun around here...well its ok to wander since human nature and good conversation will do that naturally so why shouldn't we. Of course if it gets too good then we will break it out like we currently do.

And then there is a middle ground where sometimes we'll be a bit off topic just cuz something too funny just had to be said. However in those cases after several posts...it would make sense to GENTLY get the thread back on topic. However I think it needs to be done friendly and in a fun manner and NOT in a policing manner.

I think Walter's suggestions are excellent and each category we have currently seems to lend itself to to either a "no off topic or off topic is fine" type of ranking.

What I don't want:

1. People just waiting to be the 'off topic' buster!
2. People taking it upon themselves to become the unofficial off topic patrol.
3. People being mean or rude or harsh that we wondered a little bit on or off topic.
4. People getting confused as to which forums you can be more free flowing and which ones you should be a bit more disciplined in.
5. NEGATIVITY in general....I abhor it and it has no place here on this site.

What I do want:

1. People to have fun in a playful, flirty, fun way but NOT too heavy, overt, or sexual.
2. People to type as they would converse...open and free flowing...just don't type things you wouldn't say in person!
3. People to be respectful of their new friends, family and dive buddies!
4. People to foster and develop friendships and relationships that encourage going on singles dive trips together cuz that's what we do....GO DIVING TOGETHER ON SINGLEDIVERS.COM TRIPS!!!
5. And for people to hang out here when they are not diving cuz its the most fun on the net without getting wet!!!

And I just want to thank everyone for helping us to get to this point today!!! Too cool....I'm thrilled you all are here!!! Kamala aka the "Wreck Wench"

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:38 PM

Is it a problem? Certainly. But knowing many of us on SD, is there a solution that will work (without keeping the mods and admins totally immersed... in this board)?

I guess the solution I'd favor is to keep the serious topics on track leaving certain areas (like sex and the single diver) to be free-wheeling.

There a serious thread led to a posting with the word "sex" in it. Do I prove my point?

Dr. Bill

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:47 PM

Depends on who is doing the lashing....and with what???? Pink snorkels seem ok by me...now who do I get to lash????

Darlin',

Please focus on the topic at hand.

Walter

Aw Walter you are no fun...even if you are RIGHT!! Just testing the kinder gentler Walter....Woo!! Hoo!!! Its working!!! Keep up the good work!!! :fish:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users