• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Staying on topic

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:58 PM

Well, If you dont know, I am a very active member of the Deco Stop and Scubaboard.  When I first came here, I felt welcome, and it was an enjoyable place.  Maybe I will spend more time over on the other boards so you guys can have your hedonistic scuba related sex board...

gee, sorry you feel that way.

#32 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

Well, If you dont know, I am a very active member of the Deco Stop and Scubaboard. When I first came here, I felt welcome, and it was an enjoyable place. Maybe I will spend more time over on the other boards so you guys can have your hedonistic scuba related sex board...

I know you're kind of disillusioned with a lot of the boards Lubold. I just wonder why, if you want this place to have more of a serious side, you never seem to jump into the discussion when your experiance would be a valuable addition?

I hope you stick around, but I hate to see you criticizing us for not being serious enough when you're normally way too quiet when we are having serious discussions.

I've suggested ( through PM's ) that Scubahoney check out the Deco Stop for her serious questions about cave diving. It's true that some boards will be a better resource for certain topics like technical diving and cave diving, etc. But it'd be nice if we could get someone like you to chime in more often on the informative side, if we're ever going to be more than just a "hedonistic scuba related sex board" ( one of the reasons I think it IS so fun around here, by the way )

#33 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

hear, hear, doll.

#34 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:30 PM

Hey, I didnt say that I dont like to have fun!!!  But, at least I stayed on topic in the thread...

Step back from the keyboards and breathe!

Better... good!

Now, we are working on getting the fun loving stuff into other areas so that the serious threads remain serious. This board is a work in progress and there is room for EVERYBODY.

I love to have fun and have been as guilty as anybody about pulling threads away from intended topics. If is in the less information oriented areas, that is more like a conversation and we all know how a conversation about one thing over the course of time will change to a completely different topic.

If it is in the General Diving and educational forums, this is a little different. The mods have been splitting this stuff off, but the size of the membership is making that more difficult. Everybody hang around and we will have a well educated and fun loving bunch of single divers to go on trips together. Let's everybody have a little patience here and it will settle itself through these "growing pains".

Thanks CT,

You are correct. I posted my answer in a couple of her technical threads about a day and half before more knowledgeable divers saw it. As we grow, this will be a rare event. Sometimes, it would help if the people with the BEST knowledge put their best foot forward early. That would help the situation without a doubt.

Edited by Diverbrian, 08 May 2004 - 11:34 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#35 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:30 PM

Lubold, your comments are greatly appreciated. The original post was asking what members thought about threads going off topic and you've provided your feedback as requested.

Clearly Lubold's opinion is in contradiction with other members and that's perfectly fine. Differences make for interesting conversations but it would be unfortunate for a member to feel unwelcome here because of this difference and I hope everyone will continue to respect each individual's views. I think it's imperative the Admins hear all thoughts on the subject to assist in making informed decisions.

There have been several new members who have posted hellos but then not come back. Why? Are they, too, disenchanted with the way the board works? Perhaps. The goal of the Admins is not to just attract membership but to retain those members as well. I think it's great that the general membership is being asked where to make changes and what "we" want to see rather than just handing over a rule book. While the decisions that are made based on information gathered through threads like this one might not satisfy everyone, the intention is to try to find a happy medium.

Lubold, I hope you will continue to visit SD.com and contribute whenever and wherever you can.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#36 NormsKid

NormsKid

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:12 AM

As a new member, I knew when I joined this site that it would probably have a more homey feeling than some of the other dive message boards due to the fact that it is for single divers. That is what attracted me to this site and that is why I like the site.

Some of the off topic posts allow me to get to know the individual personalities here. If I had no intentions of ever diving with singledivers.com and I was just looking for answers and information, then the chit chat might be very frustrating. But I DO plan on diving with you all and I'd rather have a feel for the various personalities ahead of time.

To me, the benefit is that I feel VERY welcome here as a relatively new diver and I feel like if I have a serious question, I can post it without fear of getting blasted out of the water for my ignorace. Some sites just don't give off that "vibe."

So.....from the perspective of a relatively new diver (1 1/2 years) & newbie site member, I have to say that it was the chit chat that made me feel welcome here. As soon as I saw how all of you got along and kidded around with one another, I immediately clicked on the link to check out which future dive trip I can go on to meet some of yall.

I guess what I'm saying is..... let this site be what it is.....friendly & welcoming. That will appeal to a certain type of person and turn off others, but those who are frequent posters here seem to like being able to freely interact with each other. This message board is, quite frankly, a breath of fresh air compared to most. I say keep up the good work an don't try to turn this message board into a carbon copy of all the others......

Michelle

#37 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:48 AM

WOW! Excellent points and good discussion from everyone.

A few points -

Yes, we are different. We're different in our attitude. Some are going to like that difference, others will not. Keep in mind, as Brian said, we've been operating for only 2 months. RSD has been on line for almost 7 years, even SCUBA Board, a relative new comer has been around for 4. I've been a part of many different boards and I've noticed one thing in common with them all - they change over time. They mature, they evolve. Hopefully those changes are to meet the needs of the members. We have our nich, but we're still settling in. That's what this thread is about.

Serious discussion do take place here. Do we have the resources of a board with close to 25,000 members? Of course not. OTOH, I believe we'd compare very favorably on a per capita basis. Keep in mind, we're still shy of 300 members. We have 1.16% of SCUBA Board's membership. I'm sure we have at least 25% of their dive related knowledge. Sometimes I'm amazed at the bad information given on various boards.

This is an excellent resource for your serious questions.

Do we have a few problems to work out? Of course, straying off topic is one of them. OTOH, I have to listen to what NormsKid said about personalities coming out in our discussions. That is important because while we are an excellent resource for your serious diving questions, that isn't our primary focus. That is a secondary, supporting role we fill. Our primary focus is to keep us all diving, hopefully with each other. We've made changes already with that in mind. We are planning trips for 2005 and 2006 right now. We are about to have a large regional trip in Texas and we're planning more regional trips. We're about diving. We're about staying excited about diving between our dives. We aren't about simply talking seriously about diving. Anyone who knows me, knows I do have my serious side. Hell, someone on SB once said "he doesn't do fun, " when describing me. He was wrong.

I think excellent suggestions have been made and changes will be made. The details still have to be hammered out, but I think everyone can see the direction in which those changes will go.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#38 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:27 AM

Just in case I wasn't clear, Lubold, I appreciate your point of view and your comments. They are very helpful and I know they were intended to make this a better place for everyone. Stick around, we'll get changes in place and I believe you'll like what you see.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#39 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:24 AM

Hear, hear Yoda!! Lubold, I'm sorry you feel the way you do & I hope that you'll reconsider & hang out a little longer. CT made a valid point- your knowledge & expertise would be greatly appreciated on the serious threads & we would value hearing more from you. On the other hand, you too are single & probably know well the difficulties of finding someone who shares your passions & outlook. By allowing personalities to come out, we all get a glint of who the person is behind the on screen personna that they have created. So, keep in mind that this is a site that attempts to provide dive trips for singles so that we don't always feel like a "5th wheel" & that we, as singles, do want to have an opportunity to get to know each other a little prior to those trips. We are becoming a bunch of friends & friends joke around with each other. So, perhaps if you thought of this site as more of a post-dive hang out with your friends where you rehash the dives, talk about equipment & techniques, but also just hang out & joke around & yes, flirt with someone who attracts you- maybe if you think of this place that way, you'll find the right balance for YOU. I hope you'll stick around.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#40 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:45 AM

Sheeeesh this question is on page 3 already and I'm on here everyday !!!!

NO! please dont change anything. this site is to new to start putting constraints on it. what sets this site apart from the others is it is a free for all :unsure:

example
Diverbrian is serious about explaining his veiw's on dive equipment and triggerfish come's along a says how hot he would look in pink panties LoL

I find this kinda freedom is a Riot

This is my two Colons

Mike

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 09 May 2004 - 08:48 AM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#41 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:55 AM

This is my two Colons

bubs, baby......you got 2 COLONS????? jeez, bud, i'm not roomin' with YOU on a trip!!!

#42 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

See!
Put out a couple Costa Ricanian Bucks and watch the Fun Begin :cool2:

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#43 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:08 AM

This is my two Colons

bubs, baby......you got 2 COLONS????? jeez, bud, i'm not roomin' with YOU on a trip!!!

:cool2:

#44 rhondajc18

rhondajc18

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:128

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:29 AM

:cool2: As am I!

I just want to throw in my--I'll stick with 2 cents instead of colons, thank you very much. I have greatly enjoyed this site and reading the posts by various people. I think you guys are a riot and get a lot of good laughs out of this site. And I even pick up useful diving information, like Laura's diving etiquette list.
It'll be interesting to see how things evolve here . . . .
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

#45 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

Put out a couple Costa Ricanian Bucks and watch the Fun Begin

really? you know a couple of costa ricans bucks?? they lookin' for a fun redhead??

Edited by triggerfish, 09 May 2004 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users