• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Staying on topic

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:37 PM

Walteresque sound

OOOOOHHHH!!!!

i like that!!!!!!!

marvel...i think the sinner is poppin' through ;))

Girl, don't even go there.... :blink:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#62 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:03 PM

I have no idea what this means.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#63 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,680 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:36 PM

OMGosh....I take the day off to be with my mom and my sister and her family and I come back laughing my ass off cuz you all are soooooo ON TOPIC yet OFF TOPIC at that same time!!! (Wonder if our bad word filter will capture a-s-s or not???)

So I think the whole situation is clear as mud. We have some folks frustrated that we ramble....some folks frustrated that we might impose some rules and most of you (ok so perhaps I take some liberties) ok with some sort of guidelines regarding when its better to stay focused...no ADD or sexual inuendos...and when its ok to allow our personalities show through!

That and about half of our active membership has not weighed in on the subject cuz they are out this weekend or even this week diving! I can't wait to see what they have to say!

FOR THE RECORD...I'd like take the opportunity to thank EVERYONE who has given us ANY feedback on this topic. All comments help us grow and try to meet the needs...wants....and yes desires of our members. And believe it or not...all we did was start out with an idea....from there we have taken the input of our members to go and grow forward!

Secondly...I'd hate to lose diving talent like Lubold and others who provide EXCELLENT information on a number of topics. THAT sets us apart from other sites. Why? Well we for some reason have fun people....knowledgeable people and fun knowledgeable people. Unlike other sites we don't have lots of people who are stuck on themselves or full of themselves. We also don't have lots of NEGATIVE people whom I encourage to go to sites that like negativity...cuz it certainly ain't this one!!! We are VERY lucky in that we don't seem to have any idiots who are full of themselves posting pompous blatherings about nothing! Woo Hoo!!!! :teeth:

As for only 30 people talking regularily...I've had a few pm's telling me that they are shy but they still enjoy reading what others have to say. Talking 'out loud' on a message board is NOT for everyone...however these same shy people are coming to events and going on dive trips!! It can't be all bad to be shy!!!

Thank you all again for your inputs....WE TRULY DO WANT TO BE AS COOL AND AS FUN AS WE CAN BE!! By asking for your help...we hope to set a new trend in how to innovate diving websites!!!

PLEASE keep coming forward with opinions and perspectives!! And if you are still too shy...please email me or private message me (PM) with your thoughts and ideas!! Thanks - ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#64 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:35 AM

OOOOOHHHH!!!!

i like that!!!!!!!

marvel...i think the sinner is poppin' through

What were we talking about on this here thread...?

Girl, don't even go there....

Did we have a thread topic?

Edited by DandyDon, 10 May 2004 - 09:36 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#65 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:21 PM

Any more real suggestions or comments about what we should do about topics wandering?

I have a simple solution. If someone wants to post a topic and wants it to be kept serious, I suggest they state this preference right up front.

Also, let's not forget another option - if you really want to delve into a topic, you can always exchange info via PM or e-mail, and keep it as serious as you like.

I've had a few of my threads hijacked, to me it's not a huge deal, someone always brings it back on track. The topic starter can also do the same.

Personally, I like this mix of serious, good info, mixed in with some good natured flirting and humor. But each person is different, and I respect that too.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#66 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,680 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:18 PM

I have a simple solution. If someone wants to post a topic and wants it to be kept serious, I suggest they state this preference right up front.

Good idea...maybe we can combine that with some general guidelines about certain forums being more serious and that way people won't be as inclined to hijaking the thread as to how the sports teams are doing etc.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#67 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

I love that idea...just kinda say...please remain on topic. or if there was some sort of specific little icon (like the ones we use for information...question..etc) that we can use when posting a new topic that means ...serious topic
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#68 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:28 PM

If someone wants to post a topic and wants it to be kept serious, I suggest they state this preference right up front.

What about others who are discussing the topic?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#69 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:17 PM

If someone wants to post a topic and wants it to be kept serious, I suggest they state this preference right up front.

What about others who are discussing the topic?

I just don't that approach will work.

I like this one the best, still:

Ignore it in some forums (New to Single Divers.com, Nondiving and Other Topics Related to Being Single).

Allow conversations to wander, but remind people of the topic and bring it gently back into line in other forums (General Diving, New Divers, Dive Training and Your Trip Reports).

:cool2:

Edited by DandyDon, 10 May 2004 - 05:17 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#70 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

Well I'm in agreement with Dandy Don. I like the informality of this site but at the same time there should be some areas where we stay on topic.

#71 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:21 PM

Human minds can really function that way, especially when involved in group discussions? I don't know, I'm just an invertebrate biologist and marine botanist!

Dr. Bill

#72 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:18 PM

Some threads are for REAL discussion, and then get Kamala's sexual inuendo's injected (kidding, sweetie, you aren't the only one)
Some threads are for fun, but have important serious info inserted.
I see the real problem for the large group is that the bigger the site and the longer the threads get, the higher the chance that individuals will miss seeing the important info, cause it gets buried in the flirting. I would not want someone to miss out on useful information cause they can't find it. OTOH, I am as guilty as others of inserting my wisea** comments randomly through the threads.
One thought I have is that the friendly bantering is the day to day chatter between friends. The thread topic and serious info is what is important to remain. Any chance that after a certain number of days, that a thread gets "cleaned"? Or maybe the important info gets archived under the useful info subject. I am concerned that even after only 2 months, there is great info on this site that is going to be lost. Problem is, who decides what is important to keep, and who has the time to do that.
Diving; My zen space.

#73 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

What I do want:

1. People to have fun in a playful, flirty, fun way but NOT too heavy, overt, or sexual.

Just to prove the point..... so WW, is there such a thing as TOO heavy, overt, or sexual?
(I just did this so Kamala can gently bring me back to the topic.)
Diving; My zen space.

#74 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,680 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:55 PM

What I do want:

1. People to have fun in a playful, flirty, fun way but NOT too heavy, overt, or sexual.

Just to prove the point..... so WW, is there such a thing as TOO heavy, overt, or sexual?

I'll bring you back to something Mark....and I'm sure we'll find the topic in the process! :cool2:

formerly...

#75 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

What I do want:

Oh yeah! I over stepped once - talking about the primates... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users