• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Anyone want to go diving with NON-Diving PARENTS?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

Great question about diving families and parents...How about parents that don't dive but want to go to all the exotic locations that their kids are going too?

I know I've talked to a few people who have said they'd love to take a trip where they could bring their single remaining parent with them.

Anyone else want to do a trip with their 'parental types'? Who knows...maybe they will want to get into diving once they see how much fun we are having!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Anyone else want to do a trip with their 'parental types'? Who knows...maybe they will want to get into diving once they see how much fun we are having!

oh, I can see it now...

*Wayne's world style dream sequence start "dlele-dlele-dlele"*
Scene begins on a Dive boat in the middle of an ocean. Joe looks for his dive bag but can't find it.
"Has anyone seen my bag?" Joe says.
Joe's mom answers, "Why yes. I thought it was it wasn't in a very good spot so I went to move it. It was too heavy so I decided to take everything out and organize it on the boat better. Those heavy things I wrapped in ziploc bags and placed on the bench over there. The thing with all the hoses on it I used pull ties to keep it all together and put on the shelf at the back of the boat. The wetsuit I put on a hanger and hung up down below..."
Scene fades back to Joe retreiving gear while mother still explaining the locations of all the stuff.
Joe picks up his wetsuit and starts to get in it when Mom comes up and starts pulling it up. "Oh Joe, this is just like when you were a little boy..."

Knowing he is loosing ALL his cool points at this moment Joe desperatly looks to his Dad for help. All he gets is that "You're on your own son" shrug. So he tries to get it over with as quickly as possible... then tries to stand there looking suave as his mother zips up the zipper.

Thinking he is in the clear as his mom goes to take a rest on one of the benches and goes to assemble the rest of his gear. He then notices she is sitting next to WW and hears the fateful opener, "Has Joe ever told you the story when he and his brother put bologna in the milk...?"

Fade to slow-mo Joe crying out "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..." but no one hears as they are now in rapt attention listening to my mother as she spins the tale.
"Oh, and how could I ever forget the other time when he...."
Joe assumes fetal postion.
*dream sequence ends*

Yeah, yeah, maybe I should ask them.... :)

Edited by Vulture, 27 September 2005 - 01:49 PM.

Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

oh, I can see it now...

Scene begins on a Dive boat in the middle of an ocean. Joe looks for his dive bag but can't find it.
Joe's mom answers, "Why yes. I thought it was it wasn't in a very good spot so I went to move it. It was too heavy so I decided to take everything out and organize it on the boat better. Those heavy things I wrapped in ziploc bags and placed on the bench over there. The thing with all the hoses on it I used pull ties to keep it all together and put on the shelf at the back of the boat. The wetsuit I put on a hanger and hung up down below..."
Scene fades back to Joe retreiving gear while mother still explaining the locations of all the stuff.
Joe picks up his wetsuit and starts to get in it when Mom comes up and starts pulling it up. "Oh Joe, this is just like when you were a little boy..."

Knowing he is loosing ALL his cool points at this moment Joe desperatly looks to his Dad for help. All he gets is that "You're on your own son" shrug. So he tries to get it over with as quickly as possible... then tries to stand there looking suave as his mother zips up the zipper.

Thinking he is in the clear as his mom goes to take a rest on one of the benches and goes to assemble the rest of his gear. He then notices she is sitting next to WW and hears the fateful opener, "Has Joe ever told you the story when he and his brother put bologna in the milk...?"

Fade to slow-mo Joe crying out "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..." but no one hears as they are now in rapt attention listening to my mother as she spins the tale.
*dream sequence ends*

Yeah, yeah, maybe I should ask them.... :)

:D

that's not a dream, that's a nightmare!

My Dad doesn't dive and most likely wouldn't get on a boat anyway, so I might be in the clear. I'd just have to worry about all the time that we aren't diving!

#4 trixiegirl1970

trixiegirl1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

oh, I can see it now...

*dream sequence ends*

Yeah, yeah, maybe I should ask them.... :D

:lmao:

that's not a dream, that's a nightmare!

My Dad doesn't dive and most likely wouldn't get on a boat anyway, so I might be in the clear. I'd just have to worry about all the time that we aren't diving!

Come on... Where is your sense of adventure???? :lmao:

#5 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

No way in hell would I go with my mom. She worries too much. My nearly 16 yo son has his AOW but he still a wuss about diving anywhere that's not super easy. Like he's afraid to dive the Spiegle. So am I for that matter. :D But I would do it with a guide.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

When we did Brockville/St Lawrence River up in Canada/NE US last year the area was very beautiful and historic. It occurred to me that if we had NON-DIVING parents or as the case may be ONE non-diving parent left, it might be nice to bring them along and let them enjoy the above water beauty of the area while we dove on some awesome fresh water wrecks.

Since we have looked at doing this trip again next fall when the water is in the high 70's (and it actually hit 80 on the bottom of the river) I thought it would be nice to take my mom along.

So I'm wondering if anyone else would like to bring their non-diving parent(s) with them on a dive trip?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

My dad came to the Keys when I certified Dennis & Donna. He snorkeled and watched their kids. Everyone had a blast!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

Walter is absolutely correct. My dad loved getting time with his grandkids and we loved letting him.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#9 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:44 PM

Not sure they would ever join us, but I would love to have my Aunt and Uncle along on one of our trips. I imagine others have parents that would be a blast to have along.

There may be some truth to Joe's story, but I bet everyone on the trip would be in love with Joe's mom by the end :lmao:

If we do Hawaii next summer, that would be the perfect opportunity for parents to join.
"

#10 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

Not sure how to look at this one. Half way through my tour we get a couple weeks off and I have no intention of coming back to the US. 5 of us are looking at Cairns, AU for a dive trip. My mother will most definitely want to see me so my plan is to bring her down for a week. That leaves me a week to dive and hang out with my buds from the unit and get trashed!!! This will be her first trip out of the US in 30 years. Part of me wants to have two weeks to unwind (go crazy) but I know my family obligations. Looks like some cool jungle tours and maybe get a car to see some other parts of AU.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#11 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:27 PM

Not sure how to look at this one. Half way through my tour we get a couple weeks off and I have no intention of coming back to the US. 5 of us are looking at Cairns, AU for a dive trip. My mother will most definitely want to see me so my plan is to bring her down for a week. That leaves me a week to dive and hang out with my buds from the unit and get trashed!!! This will be her first trip out of the US in 30 years. Part of me wants to have two weeks to unwind (go crazy) but I know my family obligations. Looks like some cool jungle tours and maybe get a car to see some other parts of AU.

Dave

Well, sounds like you get a week, and Mom gets a week. Maybe thats why they give you two :lmao:
"

#12 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

Still wish I got two. One to hurt myself and one to dry out.... Hey I can dry out when Mom shows. I don't think she shoots tequillia anymore so I may be safe.
D
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

Not sure they would ever join us, but I would love to have my Aunt and Uncle along on one of our trips. I imagine others have parents that would be a blast to have along.

There may be some truth to Joe's story, but I bet everyone on the trip would be in love with Joe's mom by the end :lmao:

If we do Hawaii next summer, that would be the perfect opportunity for parents to join.

Hawaii could in fact be a great trip for "Parents" or in my case "Parent"! Hmm....better not ask her yet...in case it doesn't fly! But hey...who wouldn't want to go to Hawaii!!! :lmao:

formerly...

#14 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

Most of you already know the only ocean water I've ever been in is when I dove with Bill off of Catalina. I was worried that my dad would be upset because I took that one day to dive when I was out visiting him for a week. Quite the opposite - while he didn't care to go to Catalina, he couldn't stop telling his buddies about me diving in the ocean with DrBill.

Dad's not all that well, and I know his days are short. He recently got himself a passport. When I asked why, his reply was that he wanted to go "somewhere" he just didn't know quite where yet. I guarantee you that if I had the opportunity to dive somewhere exotic and my dad could go along and watch...wow! That would be the trip of a lifetime for him - literally! I'd give up an entire week of diving to make dad happy for one day!

BTW - dad was never certified, but has done his share of diving in his youth. Before his heart condition got so serious, he would hooka dive in the rivers of northern California to mine gold. With an unlimited air supply and would stay under the water for hours literally while moving the rocks on the bottom of the river to get to the gold deposits below. :-)

Yes, I would take my dad! (Heck I would take my mom too for that matter, she'd shop or lay around all day and party with everyone else at night.)

#15 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

My mom doesn't dive but she comes along on dive trips that my dad and I have taken together. She entertains herself on the surface and quite often comes along for a ride on the boat. In the end, everyone seems quite happy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users