• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

If you could stock your dive shop...

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#76 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:15 PM

I would love to see a real dive shop. I love gear.
I do hate it when I go into a shop and they try and show me the ladies items. I had one try and talk me out of getting my Ranger BC... pointed me to one cut for the ladies.
I am currently considering banding my HP steel 80's together and going tech. Just haven't done it yet... Now that will be fun.. more gear.. more stuff to get in the water with...

I would have probably tried to talk you out of getting your Ranger BC too. But, not because you belong in a ladies BC.

HP steel 80's? How tall are you?

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#77 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:22 PM

But, face it, when it comes to sharks, they are "surface bait". We are much safer as divers!

It's funny how statistically that's true, but there is a certain false sense of security when you have 2 7/8" of board thickness between you and any would-be predators while paddling. :teeth:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#78 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, I had an Asian girlfriend who was a physician, high maintenance and had a beach house there in O.C. I gave her up for an impoverished F/A I met in SLC.

Do you still have her phone number? You probably know my weakness for Asians. I am worth a fair bit... at least on paper, but I'd have to sell my house here to support a woman like that for a few months!

#79 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:43 PM

Do you still have her phone number? You probably know my weakness for Asians. I am worth a fair bit... at least on paper, but I'd have to sell my house here to support a woman like that for a few months!

I do still have her number. I sometimes call her for a second opinion on medical matters. She used to dive in a white bikini and was definitely "Bond girl" material, artistic, athletic, intelligent and gorgeous. One of the guys that worked at my dive center couldn't figure out how I could just kiss her goodnight at the door. Sometimes, she couldn't either. :wakawaka: I'd gladly try to set you two up if it wasn't for the fact that she married a financially secure gentleman with his own beach house and sailboat who dives as well. Too bad. I think you two would have hit it off. I know she'd appreciate your sense of humor and knowledge. Hey! Maybe we should all meet up for a dive and I can practice that right post trick my cave instructor taught me that eliminates a buddy should gas run low during an exit -- on him? That might free her dance card up a bit! :teeth:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#80 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:53 AM

I would have probably tried to talk you out of getting your Ranger BC too. But, not because you belong in a ladies BC.

HP steel 80's? How tall are you?

Trace

I might have listened to what he was saying if he had not started out by telling me that I was a women and the Ranger was built for a man. Heck I know what I am didn't need him to point it out. I did try on many of the ladies BC's and did not like the fit of any of them.

I am seriously considering going to a BP & Wing. The Ranger has worked fine since I bought it in 98 but I am ready to do some changing of the gear.

I am 5'1" tall on the outside. Inside I think I am about 6' tall.
I would like bigger steel tanks, there is no such thing as too much air. I think a 100 might work. Or I could just band the 80's together and then pick up a larger HP steel.

Back to the what would I want in my dive shop.. I want items for us smaller gals. I don't need my gear to be lighter or easier to carry. But I would love a good fit without having to go custom or "fix" it myself once I get it home.

Edited by gis_gal, 11 October 2005 - 08:56 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#81 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

I'd gladly try to set you two up if it wasn't for the fact that she married a financially secure gentleman with his own beach house and sailboat who dives as well. Too bad. I think you two would have hit it off.

Ah, the story of my wife... er, life.

#82 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:05 PM

I'd gladly try to set you two up if it wasn't for the fact that she married a financially secure gentleman with his own beach house and sailboat who dives as well. Too bad. I think you two would have hit it off.

Ah, the story of my wife... er, life.

Didn't you read that article about the fact that if you become a marine biologist you'll never have sex again, but the upside is that you can wear anything you want, grow facial hair & have any length or style of hair that you want?

If not, you can read the folly of your ways here:

http://www.id.ucsb.e.../biologist.html

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#83 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

Didn't you read that article about the fact that if you become a marine biologist you'll never have sex again, but the upside is that you can wear anything you want, grow facial hair & have any length or style of hair that you want?

I don't agree with that! I think marine biologists are fabulous - as long as they dive! I've actually met some that don't - they "count fish from boats" up here :teeth:

And I agree with gis_gal regarding wanting the goody gear - not the foofy stuff! And gis_gal, I threw double 85s on my back a week ago with dive_addict - and my opinion...I AM HOOKED! I even carted my asp up the beach with a 40 sling bottle attached to the side. I felt 10' tall and told dive_addict I could make tech diving look good - oddly he chuckled....hey! :canada:

(pssstt.....gg, I've got access to extra sets if you wanna try 'em out!)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#84 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

Let me see, other than those things I have already seen on this thread.

I would have a sitting area in the shop in addition to a fairly large class room for SCUBA classes. Many of the places I have seen are so crowded (in the class room too) you can't move without running into something.

I would like to see an area to post on SD while I'm waiting to check out.

I thought about a large salt water aquarium, but a large screen TV/monitor showing Sea Hunt and SCUBA movies, etc. would be cheaper and less maintenance.

I would have the shop in Florida, so you would have to have Surfer stuff to sell. Some dive shops sell more surf stuff than dive stuff. Sorry about that, but it's a fact.

I am sure I could think of more things, but that's enough for now.

Edited by Dennis, 11 October 2005 - 01:14 PM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#85 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

And I agree with gis_gal regarding wanting the goody gear - not the foofy stuff!  And gis_gal, I threw double 85s on my back a week ago with dive_addict - and my opinion...I AM HOOKED!  I even carted my asp up the beach with a 40 sling bottle attached to the side.  I felt 10' tall and told dive_addict I could make tech diving look good - oddly he chuckled....hey!    :canada:

DG,
All I can say at this time is YES.... Bring those babies up.. Let me try them..
I have got to band my 80's. Bring Dive_Addict along.. he owes me a visit.
I can see it now.. The three of us.. all wearing doubles, with a 40 sling bottle on our sides..
(sorry, I think I need a moment here ~ sniffle ) It is a beautiful sight..

OK Missy, you now have me drooling and starting to shake.. Get up here and bring both sets of doubles..

I think we both could bring a whole new meaning to Tech diving. :teeth:
I know we would look great doing it..

Edited by gis_gal, 11 October 2005 - 01:19 PM.

#86 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

And I agree with gis_gal regarding wanting the goody gear - not the foofy stuff! And gis_gal, I threw double 85s on my back a week ago with dive_addict - and my opinion...I AM HOOKED! I even carted my asp up the beach with a 40 sling bottle attached to the side. I felt 10' tall and told dive_addict I could make tech diving look good - oddly he chuckled....hey! :-D

Nicolle, can you say SHUNT?

Come out of the water, leave the heavy stuff and come back to get it. I normally used to haul everything out at once being a tough guy, but the cave community beat my @$$ for it. We might have to spank you in the future -- especially if you start getting Colleen bent. Damn PADI instructors! :teeth:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#87 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:06 PM

Let me see, other than those things I have already seen on this thread.

I would have a sitting area in the shop in addition to a fairly large class room for SCUBA classes. Many of the places I have seen are so crowded (in the class room too) you can't move without running into something.

I would like to see an area to post on SD while I'm waiting to check out.

I thought about a large salt water aquarium, but a large screen TV/monitor showing Sea Hunt and SCUBA movies, etc. would be cheaper and less maintenance.

I would have the shop in Florida, so you would have to have Surfer stuff to sell. Some dive shops sell more surf stuff than dive stuff. Sorry about that, but it's a fact.

I am sure I could think of more things, but that's enough for now.

Those are some good ideas, and being a surfer, I love the idea of selling boards. Before my ex-girlfriend and I broke up, she was thinking of buying a dive center and I was thinking about selling surfboards in it. When I worked in Key Largo, we had surfboards in the shop but never sold any. The poor things were getting dinged up just by being moved around (since retail managers are never happy with retail space). So, board sales depend on the proximity to surf. In FL, if you are in an area with good surf the diving usually is less desireable. Cocoa Beach -- good surf crappy vis. Key Largo -- good vis crappy surf. Speaking of moving boards, what's with all the moving of merchandise all the time? I think if they left stuff alone everyone would learn where the stuff is and they'd sell more. I think stores sell less because you can never find stuff. I mean you walk into a shop and the O-rings that were located on shelf A are no longer there. You're just getting a fill & you decide to grab yourself a box at the last minute, but then can't find it. Do you ask the dive store clerk where they are? Of course not! You only have two minutes to spare and the last thing you need is a 20 minute lecture about the value of Viton O-ring 1 compared to rubber O-ring 2. You pay for your fill & scramble. They lose a $3.99 sale because they thought the new pink mask straps would look good on shelf A. And, so far, only one girl wants pink, a couple want purple and a couple more want black. Here's an idea... everything black... one size jet fin... BP, wings, double LP tanks (the girls are doing to die in the HP's), Apeks, Zeagle or Scubapro regs and wait... yes... I've been to this shop before in High Springs, FL. No boards there though & plenty of space. In Key Lasrgo, we had Joe the Fish Guy to service our aquariums. Giant screen TV's are easier by far. Plus, no one wants to look at fish anyway. Diving is a competitive sport now. It's all about carrying botlles, trim, numbers, depths, gases, it's no longer about seeing stuff. Which is my in my AOW class you rarely get to use your mask. :teeth:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#88 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:08 PM

Come out of the water, leave the heavy stuff and come back to get it. I normally used to haul everything out at once being a tough guy, but the cave community beat my @$$ for it. We might have to spank you in the future -- especially if you start getting Colleen bent. Damn PADI instructors!  :teeth:

Trace

Your suppose to leave the heavy stuff and come back for it??? hmmmm
I usually just pack it to the car in one trip. Dress at the car, dive, return to the car, take off gear.

Trace ~ you might need to come to Seattle and show Nicolle and I what we are doing wrong here.
I have to disagree with you new shop inventory.. NO Poseidon regs?? :dltears:
And all black everything?? Dull Dull.. One size fits all fins?? I wear a size 5-1/2 shoe.. One size does not fit this gal.

Edited by gis_gal, 11 October 2005 - 02:12 PM.

#89 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

Come out of the water, leave the heavy stuff and come back to get it. I normally used to haul everything out at once being a tough guy, but the cave community beat my @$$ for it. We might have to spank you in the future -- especially if you start getting Colleen bent. Damn PADI instructors!  :teeth:

Leaving the gear in the water wasn't an option, the walk wasn't that long, and the dive not that crazy. I'm not bent, am a very very very conservative diver - as gis-gal, my buddies and my students can attest to (you should sit on one of my Open Water classes sometime when I go into DCS in length - you can never start early enough) and I have no plans on bending anyone....well not in diving at least.

Back to stocking a dive shop - what about an OXYGEN BAR!!!???? Who-hoo!!!! :-D
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#90 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

Leaving the gear in the water wasn't an option, the walk wasn't that long, and the dive not that crazy.  I'm not bent, am a very very very conservative diver - as gis-gal, my buddies and my students can attest to (you should sit on one of my Open Water classes sometime when I go into DCS in length - you can never start early enough) and I have no plans on bending anyone....well not in diving at least.

I will attest.. DG is a great dive buddy and NO One gets bent.. She is ultra conservative and will force you to follow safe diving practices..

We do save any bending of dive buddies for later after the gear is rinsed and drying... :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users