• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Japan anyone?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NigerHadiza

NigerHadiza

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:18

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:24 AM

Hello all! Well, I am currently living in Japan. Anyone else here teaching or working? I am planning a trip to Okinawa in May 2006 (for Golden Week..unfortunatley the only time I will have available to go there!). I am really hunting for a dive buddy. Anyone up for a trip to the land of the rising sun?

:-)

#2 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:40 AM

I lived on Oki for about 3.5 years. The diving is great there and Golden Week is a great time to go...go to the Dragon Boat Races in Naha.

For diving, check out Fathoms web site. There is also a local message board, but I can't remember the name of it. If it is still around, you might be able to find it by doing a search for Okinawa diving. Also, try to make a trip to the Kerama's while there.

Have fun.

Ali
"

#3 NigerHadiza

NigerHadiza

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:15 AM

Hey Ali. Thanks for the information. Yeah, I have already contacted Richard Ruth from Fathoms and am setting up my trip seeing how Golden Week is oh so busy! Do you think that there will be more fish than divers down there?

Did you go diving in Thailand? Is Okinawa comparable (i.e. clearness of water)?

I am also on another dive board called scubaboard.com but haven't found a board for Okinawa yet. Is it just for Okinawa??? If you remember, let me know or I will search.

Thanks again!

#4 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

The site is GoatDawgs.com. I think it is mostly military stationed on Okinawa, but I'm sure you could find some shore diving buddies there.

I don't remember Golden Week ever being that big of deal...I mean as far as crowds go. There is always a big crowd in Naha for the Dragon Boat races, but other than that, and most of our local hires being off work, it was business as usual. I was headed off Island one year on the Sunday of Golden Week and everyone said it would take me 3-4 hours to get the airport from where I lived (normally a 45-60 minute trip for me). I left home at 0800 for a 1300 flight and was at the airport, checked in and sitting at my gate by 0900!
"

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:47 AM

I'm on my way.

Seriously, I dated a Japanese-American woman for 8 years (still a good friend). Her father came from Okinawa (and lived part of his youth on Palau!) and always wanted me to join him on his trips back there to honor his family. Wish I had gone.

#6 NigerHadiza

NigerHadiza

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

I'm on my way.

Seriously, I dated a Japanese-American woman for 8 years (still a good friend). Her father came from Okinawa (and lived part of his youth on Palau!) and always wanted me to join him on his trips back there to honor his family. Wish I had gone.

i
Are you coming? Sorry it has taken me a while to look at this site. I have joined quite a few dive sites and it's hard for me to keep track! I remember you Dr.Bill from Scubaboard, right?

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

I'm on my way.

i
Are you coming? Sorry it has taken me a while to look at this site. I have joined quite a few dive sites and it's hard for me to keep track! I remember you Dr.Bill from Scubaboard, right?

Well we are most happy you found us...and yes DrBill is on scubaboard as well! He shares the :luv: wherever he is!!! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

I don't know if I could make it to Japan, but I'll be in Thailand for the first two weeks in April, you can come check out diving in the "Land of Smiles"
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#9 incubusman

incubusman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

did you ever make it out here? i actually live on okinawa, and if you need somebody to dive with im always free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users