• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The AtlanticBeach NC blownout but GOOD trip report

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 rstick

rstick

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, wreck cert, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

I also had a great time not-diving. Would have been better to get wet - but I'm looking forward to next time.

Nice to have met you all.

Ray.

#17 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hey all, I just returned from Dallas, TX where I went after going to Virginia Beach and then home to Pennsylvania where I stayed long enough to pack my bags and catch a plane. I flew down to visit a friend who is a flight attendant and a diver. I think I should have told the Texans here I'd be in the area and to bring me some gear so I could have returned to diving Possum Kingdom or some other lake. I spent 24 hours trying to fly standby from DFW to CVG & home. I was able to get the last flight to CVG and connect to an airport 3 hours from my house. My brother picked me up and drove me to get my truck at the airport where I'd left it and then I finally made it home. I would have told SDers I'd be there in Texas and tried to hook up to dive if not for the fact that for the first time in my life something was more important than diving. My sister and her husband, after having had 4 kids, decided to adopt a beautiful little girl named Kiara who has been in foster care. She's turning 6 and she's never had a birthday party, a Christmas or a present in her life. So, this weekend is her first party ever and I think I used up all my diving money for the next few weeks getting her Dora the Explorer and My Little Pony playsets -- I think I went a bit overboard.

It was great meeting everyone in NC. Even though we didn't get to dive, I still had fun. Going to see "Into the Blue" with Howard was definitely a good choice for a blow out activity.

You know it also pays to rack a surfboard to the roof of your truck. After the equipment discussion, I went to the beach and saw that it was pretty flat so I bagged surfing for the day and returned to my hotel for a nap. Later, as I headed back to the beach just to see what was going on with the surf during the evening, I noticed more boards on the roofs of some cars and that was my first sign that something might be up -- like the surf. Sure enough! The waves seemed to be forming up quite nicely where I like to paddle out there. There were only two other guys in the lineup and I stayed after they left. I ended up having one of the most beautiful sunset surf experiences. Warm water, easy riding waves, the smell of Sex Wax... solitude. All that was missing was someone to warm me up aftwerward. (This would not be a good choice with Howard for a blow out activity.)

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#18 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:14 AM

Sorry the diving was a bust, Trace. :(

But glad to read about your newest niece! It's great when people have biological children, but I think there's something even more special about adopted ones, especially those that have been in foster care. Much :teeth: to your sister and her husband. ;)

#19 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

but I think there's something even more special about adopted ones, especially those that have been in foster care. Much :evilgrin: to your sister and her husband. :)

Yeah, my sister and her husband are pretty great. Kiara was overwhelmed by all the attention today. One of her DSE's who usually transports her to different foster homes showed up to celebrate with everyone and Kiara went and hid then cried because she thought she was going to have to leave my sister's house. I'm glad such a sweet little girl has a home now. I was told she was five so I assumed she was turning six. She just turned 4. My sister was her clinical therapist as a child psychologist and decided to give her a real home. Kiara asked if she could stay with my sister and have her be her mommy and love her forever and ever. I think I'll have to get her a mask & fins for the summer :P

See, if I could just stop diving & surfing & meeting the wrong women, maybe I could find a wife, have a home and really do something special with my life other than be a dive bum... SLAP! ... sorry I just had to knock some sense into myself there for a second. :o

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:18 PM

See, if I could just stop diving & surfing & meeting the wrong women, maybe I could find a wife, have a home and really do something special with my life other than be a dive bum... SLAP! ... sorry I just had to knock some sense into myself there for a second.

Ahem...I suggest you merely drop the 'meeting the wrong women' part...the rest sounds perfectly fine to me! :evilgrin:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:19 PM

I also had a great time not-diving. Would have been better to get wet - but I'm looking forward to next time.

Nice to have met you all.

Ray.

Ray it was great meeting you too! I can't wait for the next trip! Got one spot open on Fiji...short notice BUT what an awesome trip!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

All that was missing was someone to warm me up aftwerward. (This would not be a good choice with Howard for a blow out activity.)

I certainly agree...Howard just wasn't your type...I think he was too DIR for you! :evilgrin:

formerly...

#23 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:23 PM

Ahem...I suggest you merely drop the 'meeting the wrong women' part...the rest sounds perfectly fine to me! :evilgrin:

Yeah, but where would I find a woman who isn't married, isn't a flight attendant, and who views her equipment as a team resource?
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:26 PM

Ahem...I suggest you merely drop the 'meeting the wrong women' part...the rest sounds perfectly fine to me!  :o

Yeah, but where would I find a woman who isn't married, isn't a flight attendant, and who views her equipment as a team resource?

Hmm....I bet we've got LOTS of SDer's who aren't married...aren't flight attendants and will view your equipment any way you want her too! :evilgrin:

formerly...

#25 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:28 PM

All that was missing was someone to warm me up aftwerward. (This would not be a good choice with Howard for a blow out activity.)

I certainly agree...Howard just wasn't your type...I think he was too DIR for you! :o

DIR? "Driving Into Rain?" He may need some work on that. He's so going to beat me once he's better :evilgrin:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#26 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hmm....I bet we've got LOTS of SDer's who aren't married...aren't flight attendants and will view your equipment any way you want her too! :evilgrin:

Well, three of you ladies already have come to appreciate why dangling equipment is useless. I guess I'll need to educate a few more. :o

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

Well, three of you ladies already have come to appreciate why dangling equipment is useless. I guess I'll need to educate a few more. :P

Trace

Hmm....not sure about the other ladies...but I saw nothing useless about your dangling equipment....then again it didn't really dangle now did it? It was much more streamlined than that wasn't it??? :o

formerly...

#28 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

kamala, some danglies are better than others.

and i didn't have any danglies, anyway, trace!!

cool about your new niece.

i'm not a flight attendant, and equipment *is* a team resource, but that would also mean i'd get yours, so i'd guess that's out...

i changed my yahoo personals to add in 'if you at least know what dir is, you're ahead of the game.' so far the only bite is someone who remembers when it was the directory prompt!

did #50 saturday in the quarry. sigh.

Edited by BabyDuck, 10 October 2005 - 09:25 AM.

#29 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

i'm not a flight attendant, and equipment *is* a team resource, but that would also mean i'd get yours, so i'd guess that's out...

Well, you never asked me to deploy my long hose, but... isn't there a rule somewhere that says, "Rule #1: Don't dive with strokes!" and, didn't someone who shall remain nameless in this reply show up with S T R O K E proudly displayed on a pink hat??? :teeth:

But, that stroke knew more about DIR/GUE than most of the DIR/GUE divers. Things that make you go hmmm... do you go both ways?

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#30 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:56 AM

it's also on my slap strap. the pink hat is in accordance with rule #6. which, actually, was elevated to rule #1 in my ow instruction. 'keep breathing' was rule #2.

planning the koolaid for spring, so yes, i swing both ways. i think i'm headed for cave eventually. gotta keep up with my nc diver buddies.

hmm, next time i'll try 'ooa' & see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users