• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Where is Your Hair?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

Since my certification process is on hold until June, a few questions have come to mind.

When I did my confined dives, I was wearing my screamin' pink swim cap in the pool, just as I do when swimming. While this *look* is fine for brief amounts of time in a public pool with unknown humans, I'd hate for the fish in the ocean to see me looking like this! :teeth:

So what do you do with your hair while you're diving? (Assuming you're not wearing a hood.) Does it conveniently flow behind you at all times, or are you frequently pushing it out of your eyes? (My hair is not long enough for a ponytail.)

TIA!

:)

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:23 PM

I don't have this problem :o But I see you are in Vancouver. If at all possible, beg, borrow, or STEAL, a hood. The comfort it adds is immense, no pulled hair from the mask strap, no worrying about your hair in the water, no critters trying to do a swim-thru with your ears, etc.

After diving with and without a hood, I'll never dive without a hood of some knid again. It really does make that much of a difference.

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

Interesting question. It has been a long time since I wore my hair past the shoulders. Here in SoCal I wear a hood, although when diving the tropics I don't. I only get a haircut every quarter so my hair length varies during that time frame. Early on it is no problem. Towards the end (as now), it can flow in front of my mask if I forget to tuck it under the hood. Fortunately I'm not going bald yet.

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:53 PM

I used to know the answer to that question a few pounds and many hairs ago! :o

Really, it all depends on what works for you. Be careful with sharp materials as these can cut through drysuit seals, etc. You can use something to tie around your hair like a pony tail. However, make sure to position this so that it does not interfere with your mask strap.

If your hair is very long, allowing it to flow freely will usually result in it getting tangled or caught on things.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:33 AM

Just use a scrunchy and ponytail it. Black scrunchy preferred. :o

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#6 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:53 AM

Since my certification process is on hold until June, a few questions have come to mind.

When I did my confined dives, I was wearing my screamin' pink swim cap in the pool, just as I do when swimming. While this *look* is fine for brief amounts of time in a public pool with unknown humans, I'd hate for the fish in the ocean to see me looking like this! :o

So what do you do with your hair while you're diving? (Assuming you're not wearing a hood.) Does it conveniently flow behind you at all times, or are you frequently pushing it out of your eyes? (My hair is not long enough for a ponytail.)

TIA!

Not sure I understand the question. A hood is not optional in the chilly waters of the NW.

Edited by Brinybay, 24 October 2005 - 12:54 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#7 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:16 AM

Just use a scrunchy and ponytail it. Black scrunchy preferred. :o

Trace

Halcyon??

nhb

#8 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:20 AM

When I did my confined dives, I was wearing my screamin' pink swim cap in the pool, just as I do when swimming. While this *look* is fine for brief amounts of time in a public pool with unknown humans, I'd hate for the fish in the ocean to see me looking like this! :)

TIA!

A hood MAY be a bit disconcerting to a newcomer (I used to fight a "choke reflex" from 'em)...

When I got back into the Game, I discovered "Beanies"...they are very similar to the Ester Williams classic bathing cap, and usually 1-2 mm neoprene...

Got to LOVE 'EM!

And I am SURE that a trip to a Craft store will allow you to suitably adorn one for thar "Carmen Miranda / Lupe Valez" look...

:o

Norm

#9 Big Tall Hippie

Big Tall Hippie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:23 AM

sometimes is use a black band and sometimes i just let it flow, depends on the mood. It never gets in the way for me, just keep a band on your arm so you can go either way when you want to. I have never used a hood myself, just have never been to an area where i needed one.

#10 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

Well, since I cut mine it's not that big of a deal anymore, but I used to put it back in a ponytail. I use a hood now anyway: I agree with Perrone there. The difference in heat loss alone is worth it. It keeps the noggin nice and toasty; I can dive N. FL springs for over an hour comfortably with a hood (68 deg F water) in a 3/2mm full suit.

Diving without the hood: as long as I get the mask on without hair getting trapped around the skirt, it's fine. Hair floats, so it'll tend to stand on end, and if it's not long enough for a ponytail it should stay out of your face. You may, however, look permanently frightened. :P

Just make sure you get a hood that fits well around the neck; if it feels like it's choking you, try a size or two up. I have a much bigger head than I thought (and if that isn't an open invitation, I don't know what is! :o ) and ended up with a XL hood; I guess my last GF was wrong. I'm not a pinhead after all. :) The important thing is to be comfortable. And if you feel lightheaded after you put on the hood, it's waaaaaaay to tight! :D

Of course, you could always just get a "screamin' pink" wetsuit; then people will just think you're color coordinated. :) :teeth:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#11 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:49 AM

www.hairglove.com don't leave home without it! I have a 12 inch neoprene.
Sempar Partus!!

#12 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:03 AM

All the hair that used to be on top, now comes out my ears, and is very attractive to Perch, Bluegills and some very sick, twisted women.

So, I usually wear a hood, or a do-rag to keep the wild things at bay. You may want to check these out -
http://www.scubadorag.com

Scubatoys also sells cotton ones for $15, if you'll wear the Texas Flag version, I'll send you a free one. Also various diver themes

Capn Jack
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:57 AM

:o for all the suggestions!

I'll address a few here...

Brinybay, I'm not planning on doing any diving in the PNW for quite some time (or maybe ever :)) so while I know I'd need a hood here, I'm curious as to what people do in the tropics.

Capn Jack, thx for the website but I just can't see myself in a do-rag.

hnladue, thx for the website but my hair is not long enough for a ponytail. (It's chin length in the front, but the back is quite short.)

Any others?

#14 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

hnladue, thx for the website but my hair is not long enough for a ponytail. (It's chin length in the front, but the back is quite short.)

Any others?

:o

Well, my ex-girlfriend bought what looked like a neoprene cycling cap for diving, but it didn't stay on very well. She had thick long blonde hair though. I think Norm's idea is the best. Those things look kind of like wetsuit hoods, but are not restrictive. The additional neoprene around the head will help prevent heat loss keeping you warmer and you may use less gas. Of course, if you're really tough you can go with the "GI Jane" look.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#15 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

When I first was getting my certification my hair was down to the tip of my nose in the front, it was a royal pain for me so since then I've just gotten it cropped short before any dive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users