• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Where is Your Hair?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

i have the same basic cut. it usually floats toward the back, but can get weird ideas and decide to float in my face at any time, even with the slap strap holding it kinda down. see, the bangs parts aren't quite long enough to stay in the slap strap and it is too short for a pony. a clip would work, i just don't do it. i guess i'll try that next time out. a do rag would work if it would stay on my head (i've tried 2 and they came off mid-dive). basically, i just fluff it out of the way when it goes in my eyes and tough it out.

#17 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

there are some very stylish doo-rags...and they aren't too different from the swimcap you're using now; the difference is the material they are made from, mostly

My hair is long enough in back to use a ponytail. And toward the end of a week of diving, I switch to a beanie to avoid too much heat loss

#18 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:35 AM

Brinybay, I'm not planning on doing any diving in the PNW for quite some time (or maybe ever :diver:) so while I know I'd need a hood here, I'm curious as to what people do in the tropics.

If you consider Florida the tropics, I wear a hood here :diver: In south florida, I'll wear a thin one! :lmao:

#19 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

I'm not planning on doing any diving in the PNW for quite some time (or maybe ever :diver:) so while I know I'd need a hood here, I'm curious as to what people do in the tropics.

:dltears: This is so sad to hear. I was looking forward to showing you some great sites around Seattle or Hood Canal.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#20 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

When my hair was much longer, I would do a ponytail braid. Now I do a pathetic little pony which really doesn't do that much for me. They do make hoods out of dive skin material (I have seen them but never worn them) to help you deal with your hair. I saw Que diving with one in Grenada and it looked quite slick!

BTW, I second Colleen's sentiments re your not diving around here!

#21 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

No worries, ladies, if my certification goes well in Florida, I just may do drysuit training after all! :diver:

But I must say, chilly-willy water and air temps is quite the deterrent. (Yes, I know, I'm not even a diver yet and already I'm a warm water wuss. :diver:)

#22 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:50 AM

No worries, ladies, if my certification goes well in Florida, I just may do drysuit training after all! :diver:

But I must say, chilly-willy water and air temps is quite the deterrent. (Yes, I know, I'm not even a diver yet and already I'm a warm water wuss. :diver:)

Where/When are you certing in FL??

Norm

#23 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

Well, if you can afford it, more power to you, but you'll be missing out on some great underwater adventures, well worth putting up with the less-than-tropical conditions. One of the best dives I had was on your side of the border with a foot of snow on the ground, in a wet suit.

Edited by Brinybay, 24 October 2005 - 11:01 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:08 PM

You know my hair is longer (it pokes out under my cold water drysuit hood). So in warm water I use a neoprene beanie. It keeps you extra warm, doesn't choke you, and is easier on the hair. When I wear it, do I look like I should also be shot out of a cannon? Well yes and anything that embarrasses my family is an extra bonus well worth the money!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#25 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

I'll have to find a pic of one these beanies. If they're similar to a swim cap, I may have a problem. (I found it awkward to fiddle with my mask strap while wearing a cap.)

#26 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

(I found it awkward to fiddle with my mask strap while wearing a cap.)

can you explain this a bit further?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#27 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'll have to find a pic of one these beanies. If they're similar to a swim cap, I may have a problem. (I found it awkward to fiddle with my mask strap while wearing a cap.)

The beanie I have is 1mm neoprene with a chin strap...so when I dive with it, I have to let my mask strap out a bit...also, get a slap strap for your mask...it makes donning the mask easier and alot less hair pulling too

#28 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:35 PM

I found my cap would shift around alot if I wasn't careful when repositioning the strap. As well, the strap had a tendency to *stick* to the cap making repositioning awkward.

I like this chin strap idea, Kim. (My swim caps don't have straps.)

#29 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:40 PM

I found my cap would shift around alot if I wasn't careful when repositioning the strap. As well, the strap had a tendency to *stick* to the cap making repositioning awkward.

I like this chin strap idea, Kim. (My swim caps don't have straps.)

More than a few of us put the mask strap UNDER the beanie or hood...

Norm

#30 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:41 PM

My beanie is made by Akona...the other cool thing is I can loan it to other divers on the boat so they don't have to abort the dive if they are getting chilled...makes me look like a hero!

oh, yes...it's black too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users