• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Where is Your Hair?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

My beanie also has a chin strap and I have a neoprene slapstrap on my mask so I have never noticed an adjustment or sticking problem.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

More than a few of us put the mask strap UNDER the beanie or hood...

Norm

Yep, mask straps go under the hood unless you're scootering. You can actually create more of a thermal loss by scooping water into the hood around the temples. Or, so says, GI3. He and Bob S had a long discussion about that issue and since GUE needed to teach 1 correct way it was decided to keep the mask strap over the hood with the end goal being long scooter pushes.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#33 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

I found my cap would shift around alot if I wasn't careful when repositioning the strap. As well, the strap had a tendency to *stick* to the cap making repositioning awkward.

I like this chin strap idea, Kim. (My swim caps don't have straps.)

Norm

Ooohh!! Never thought of that! :P

Thx, Norm!

#34 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

When I did my confined dives, I was wearing my screamin' pink swim cap in the pool,

Oh, this just begs for a photo posting!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#35 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:18 PM

When I did my confined dives, I was wearing my screamin' pink swim cap in the pool,

Oh, this just begs for a photo posting!

LOL! Plead away ... it ain't gonna happen! :P

#36 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:22 PM

I use this headband from "udivegirl". I've included a link. Prior to that I tried headbands of various kinds but this works the best. Everyone I've ever had try it (I have 3), loves it and they buy some, too.

UDIVEGIRL

#37 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:28 PM

I use this headband from "udivegirl".  I've included a link.  Prior to that I tried headbands of various kinds but this works the best.  Everyone I've ever had try it (I have 3), loves it and they buy some, too.

UDIVEGIRL

Great solution, sea nmf! :P

(I actually wear a headband around the house but never thought of one for diving.)

#38 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

I let it flow! Anywhere and everywhere it wants. My long curly locks do handstands on my head when I'm in the water. The only underwater picture ever taken of me looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket.

I tried pony tails, but the scrunchie comes out and if I band it then I pull half my hair out or break the ends trying to get the band out. This weekend one or two hairs got tangled somehow between my tank and 1st stage, but that's the only time it has ever happened and it wasn't nearly as bad as getting tangled in a band.

When I first started diving my bangs were shorter, now they're pretty much all grown out. When they were shorter I was always having problems with my hair causing my mask to leak.

Also, my strap absolutely will not stay on until my hair is wet. I giant stride with hand securely holding mask in place because I know my strap will slide of my soft lucious locks every time. When I surface I have mask in hand, lean my head back into the water so my hair flows away from my face and secure my mask.

If the water is real cold I use a hood and the hair is not an issue.

Twinklez

#39 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:44 AM

Where is Your Hair?

I've been asking that same question for decades. One day it was there, the next it was gone..........

I've tried that, I hate it. My strap always goes over the hood.

If you consider Florida the tropics, I wear a hood here  In south florida, I'll wear a thin one!

Florida isn't the tropics, we're just close to the tropics. Florida is actually considered sub-tropical (or is it semi-tropical? I get them confused).

I never wear a hood unless the water temps are in the 60's or below.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#40 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

Personally I let it flow! On rare occasion it might drift in my face but it usually behaves. I also have a beanie for when the water is a little cooler than I would like (with a chin strap) and that works nicely.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#41 firemedicdiver

firemedicdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic
  • Logged Dives:not very many

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

Pardon the dumb question but what is a slap strap.

I don't have an issue with my hair as it has moslty left me quite some time ago. And I usually dive with a hood since I hate being cold.
Dan

"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba equipment for what I told her I paid for it." -- Anonymous

#42 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

I don't have an issue with my hair as it has moslty left me quite some time ago. And I usually dive with a hood since I hate being cold.

No dumb questions around here! :banghead: A slap strap is made out of material and does not pull your hair so much in the back like a plastic strap does. much nicer to pull off your head w/o untangling your locks!! :rolleyes:

Annasea - I have chin/shoulder length hair too - I just let it flow - we call it "mermaid hair" :cool2: I don't have much trouble with it coming down on the front of my mask - now coming up out of the water on the ladder - you might resemble a version of swamp thing though............I do. :thankyou:
Known puker

#43 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

Firemedicdiver -

More information here - you can pick them up at almost any dive spot -

Slap Straps

They work well whether you have lots of hair - or like me - not much. Some debate about using them with a hood, but I've never had a problem.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#44 firemedicdiver

firemedicdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic
  • Logged Dives:not very many

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I have seen those at my local dive shop but never realized what they were called.
Dan

"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba equipment for what I told her I paid for it." -- Anonymous

#45 ladyfish

ladyfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:5

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:17 PM

have your hair braided down. they do barided short hair too or do tight twists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users