• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fish 'n Nips

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:54 AM

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is not a good idea to wear jewellery while diving. Apparently marine life may be attracted to flashing, shiny objects.

Does this apply to everything or just large items such as a watch or pendant?

The reason I'm asking is I have multiple earrings that will be visible while diving, but they are very tasteful and small -- 8mm hoops and 3mm studs.

TIA! :birthday:

#2 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

I have never had a problem in tropical water - The only problem I run into is in lakes and quarries. Croppie and carp will tear and ear up! I just make sure I wear a hood in fresh water.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#3 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

Yes, I don't wear any earrings in lakes or quarries either
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

You don't need jewelery to get nipped, just go near a damsel's algea patch or over a triggerfish nest, if these guys were bigger we wouldn't be diving!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is not a good idea to wear jewellery while diving. Apparently marine life may be attracted to flashing, shiny objects.

Yet another argument against piercings. All teasing aside, it's a myth. The most common story is Barracuda will strike shiny objects. I wear a silver pendant in a silver chain all the time. They simply are not interested. Wear your jewelry without fear.

In the meantime, Hawk has a funny story about his regulator he might share......
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:56 AM

rattle, rattle.... damn defective regulator... :birthday: :birthday:

#7 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

ok, ok . . .

I had just bought a brand new regulator, after one trial dive in a quarry - I was off to Thailand. My first day diving, I noticed a rattle in my new regulator when I exhaled. After experimenting for a while, I discovered it would rattle, on the exhale when I was horizontal in the water. I got back on the boat and a couple of the "Old Pros" took turns taking the regulator apart and looking for anything that would rattle. After being assured that whatever it was must have fallen out, and the reg was in top-notch shape, I went for the second dive. Sure enough, when I was horizontal in the water - there was that damn rattle again. This time I got back on the boat Pd-off! I was going to DEMAND a replacement!! The shop manager (and boat owner) had me give him the details of the problem again - as I put my head down (to simulate being horizontal in the water) my earrings rattled together. Looking up, quite sheepishly, I told everyone "Never mind - I think I know what the problem is." The exhaled bubbles would rattle my earrings together. Needless to say - I was picked on quite heartily for the rest of that trip.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#8 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:34 AM

Flashing, yes: many freshwater fish will be attracted to flashing metallic objects, since they resemble bait fish on the fly. Don't know about salt water fish, though I would assume the same thing.

If it doesn't spin or flash in a regular pattern, you should be okay, unless you just happen to run into a scuba-diving racoon. :birthday: Besides, you're bigger than the fish anyway. Just bite 'em back. :birthday:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

Needless to say - I was picked on quite heartily for the rest of that trip.

As you deserved to be! :birthday:

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

I agree with the territorial aspect. I've had my mask pecked repeatedly over in Catalina by garibaldi guarding their nests. In Fiji I had my ankles attacked on the pier ladder for the same reason.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:16 PM

I made the mistake of stumbling across a Titan Triggerfish's nest. Boy those things are scary. Had one chase me for quite a while before I got far enuff away. I know somebody who was bitten by one and they took out a good chunk of flesh. I've had my fingers nipped by an ocean triggerfish in FL. Luckily they are small compared to a Titan and it was more annoying then painful.

#12 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:07 PM

In Fiji after swimming with schooling baracuda and sharks the current spit us out into the lagoon and a Titan triggerfish hit one of the crew on the tank, the arm and then found bare skin below the shortie and drew blood, on the second dive at this location everyone stayed closer to the sharks! :lmao: :fish:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#13 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

I made the mistake of stumbling across a Titan Triggerfish's nest. Boy those things are scary. Had one chase me for quite a while before I got far enuff away. I know somebody who was bitten by one and they took out a good chunk of flesh. I've had my fingers nipped by an ocean triggerfish in FL. Luckily they are small compared to a Titan and it was more annoying then painful.

With the triggerfish, we're talking territoriality here, not the presence or absence of jewelry on a diver. Generally, in clear water, jewelry doesn't prevent a problem. If in doubt, wear a hood and gloves to cover those earrings, watches, and rings, and keep the necklaces and bracelets tucked inside the wetsuit/diveskin.

Rick
:lmao:

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.- Marie Curie

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

Annasea... not sure whether your piercings (or rather the things that fill your piercings) will attract marine life or not. I do wear a gold ring on my finger and nothing has gone after it yet. Of course here in temperate waters I wear gloves, but not in the tropics. Just put a 3mm or thinner hood over them.

#15 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

I've had seargent majors peck at my earrings. It doesn't hurt, but it will sure break your concentration when you are trying to take a picture.
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users