• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fish 'n Nips

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is not a good idea to wear jewellery while diving. Apparently marine life may be attracted to flashing, shiny objects.

Does this apply to everything or just large items such as a watch or pendant?

The reason I'm asking is I have multiple earrings that will be visible while diving, but they are very tasteful and small -- 8mm hoops and 3mm studs.

TIA! :)

Just stick to diving in BC and you'll be wearing a hood. Hey, you live in Canada why go anywhere else to dive:)

#17 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

Just stick to diving in BC and you'll be wearing a hood. Hey, you live in Canada why go anywhere else to dive:)

While I'm aware we in BC have phenomenal marine life, I have no intentions of diving here anytime soon.

:)

#18 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:49 PM

While I'm aware we in BC have phenomenal marine life, I have no intentions of diving here anytime soon.

:)

Then, I'll postpone any talk of a techreational clinic out in the PNW/BC areas until you will!

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#19 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

Oh sure Trace - abandon the rest of us!

#20 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

Oh sure Trace - abandon the rest of us!

Well... okay, since you more or less asked, I will.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#21 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

So it seems in addition to having *bad hair dives*, the bane of my diving existence will be these triggerfish creatures.

Are they plentiful in sub/tropical waters? (I'll be starting my diving in Florida. I think. :D)

#22 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:43 PM

But those triggerfish are awfully darned cute!

#23 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:03 AM

In fresh water the perch and bluegil will attack ears like you wouldnt believe. When I am in saltwater, the Chubs and Permits will pull hair. I always wonder if they are pulling the hair to make a nest like birds do? :birthday:

Instructors have warned me that if you are spearfishing and catch a triggerfish, to make sure you kill it with the first shot or it will come back and attack you.

I have never had a problem with jewerly or shiney camera parts.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#24 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:46 AM

I've never had a problem with the triggers in the Atlantic but the Pacific Titan Trigger is much bigger and has an attitude problem during nesting season and considers from the nest to the surface his, if one comes after you go lateral, not up!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#25 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

How true. I was way up above the Titan that came after me. But I was in the column of it's nest. I didn't swim up but side ways for two reasons. One to get outside the column and the other to not do a fast ascent. I didn't want to get bit but I didn't want to get DCS either.

#26 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

But those triggerfish are awfully darned cute!

On the PLUS side, many Florida Divers are cuter...

:birthday:

I HAVE heard some anecdotal stories re Triggerfish nibbling deco-ing Divers on Drifts, but I am here to tell you that the Bream in Springs Country ARE Bold...

In July, I was one of the UW photogs at the Cave Diver Forum Great Scooter Race...I positioned myself to the side of the Eye, which served as the "pin" for the out and back course...I had little to do in between contestants, so I lay belly-down in about 8 FFW, and Butterfly breathed...Mind you, I had never spent idle time on the Bottom there at 08-early before...One by one, the Bream would S L O W L Y come up, and "bite" or "kiss" the upper part of my silicon mask seal...felt like tapping...

Occasionally, I have 'chumed' them during deco by wiggling my finger like a fishing lure, and gotten a tap or a quick pat, but this is the FIRST time I've ever had them actually Approach me un-lured...

Norm

#27 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

Guess this means that I don't have to worry about removing certain piercings before diving in an area that doesn't require a wetsuit.

#28 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Only place I've had any problems with triggers was in the South Pacific. Of course I was there during mating season! We have one species here (the finescale) which apparently came up during an El Nino event in 82-83. They are either breeding or we're getting periodic pulses of their larvae, but I haven't had any problem with aggressiveness IF they are nesting.

The area defended over the nests is indeed like an ice cream cone with the pointy end (not called the bow by the way) right over the nest. Therefore the closer you are to the surface, the greater the diameter of the defended area.

#29 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:35 AM

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it is not a good idea to wear jewellery while diving. Apparently marine life may be attracted to flashing, shiny objects.

Flashing, yes: many freshwater fish will be attracted to flashing metallic objects, since they resemble bait fish on the fly. Don't know about salt water fish, though I would assume the same thing.

If it doesn't spin or flash in a regular pattern, you should be okay, unless you just happen to run into a scuba-diving racoon. :P Besides, you're bigger than the fish anyway. Just bite 'em back. :teeth:

Cheers!

Jim

...Or the Otter Clan that lives in Peacock Slough, downstream of P3...it seems that, having native Resident Status, that they have Exclusive Rights at Dusk...

dum, DUM,
dum, DUM,
dum, DUM, dum, DUM ,dum, DUM, dum, DUM, dum, DUM, dum, DUM ...

Norm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users