• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Going to the Dark Side

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Regarding my personal performance, I think that I have set the world record for the worst student my instructor has ever taught. Not only have I made every mistake possible, I am willing to bet that I discovered a few that nobody else has ever done before! Here are some of the highlights (more like low-lights).

Well nows the time to make your mistakes and learn from them.I also suspect your your own harshest critic but that's not a totally bad thing.Go forth and enjoy,remeber that your interaction with marine life will change and for the better.

Eric

#47 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Another pool session today since the weather has been too rough to dive the ocean. That makes three pool dives and two ocean dives so far. I am up to over 400 minutes on my Optima.

Actually, I needed the practice session in confined water anyway. I was totally confused during my first dives, and my buoyancy and skills sucked. So, this was a good chance to practice. Also, I made some changes to my harness, and I changed a couple of hoses and redistributed some weight on the Optima. This pool dive gave me a chance to test dive the unit like this before going in the ocean.

Finally, things are starting to get better. Buoyancy is getting much better. So is trim. Some things, like flushing the loop, I can tell I am still not doing as efficiently as I should. Hopefully, that will start to come to me soon.

I can feel that I am at least making progress. At this point, that's my only goal: to do better on every dive. Things are starting to happen! :lmao:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#48 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

Ocean dives 3 and 4 today. Finally, a day where the weather was not terrible, and the seas were not rough. The air was South Florida's version of chilly, and I was thankful to be diving dry (especially when everyone else was freezing between dives).

Things are definitely coming along. After re-configuring things a couple of times, hose management is much better. I am able to find things on the unit easier, and I can do things like deploy and stow my light without always seeming to get into a tangle as I did before.

Buoyancy is improving. On the bottom, I was better at staying neutral even when changing depths (including ups and downs along the wreck profile) while keeping within a decent window on the PPO2 range.

Trim is okay. I can stay horizontal pretty well in most cases. My fins are up nice and high, and I was modified frog kicking along most of the time. Even when we would stop, I could stay in good position.

We practiced operating in SCR mode for about 15 minutes or so on the first dive. I can tell that I am still not efficient in how I flush the loop. Flushing is where I think I am weakest of all skills at this point.

The hypoxia drill went okay except, again, for feeling like I am wasting too much gas on the loop flush. However, I improved by staying closer to constant depth during the drill. I finally figured out that I could vent from both the counterlung and my mouth. Duh! :welcome:

At the end of our first dive, during ascent, I was able to hold my stops pretty well until after I got above 10 feet. From that point to the surface, I felt like I could not hold my stop at any point (though I was not rocketing to the surface). I thought about it for a bit during the surface interval, and I came up with a better plan of attack for the coming dive that I would try.

On the second dive, we spend about fifteen minutes or so simulating the solenoid being stuck in the open position. One new thing I learned on this dive is that I am not good a math multi-tasking. I was trying to track how many breaths I could take after cracking the oxygen tank valve. Then, I decided to try to use the HUD to monitor my PPO2 instead of using the hand set. So far, I can't do both at once without losing track of my breaths.

We also simulated water in the loop a couple of times. This also seems to be coming along though I can tell that I still need some more work on this one. I am rolling okay. However, I think I must look pretty bad when I am shaking the water into the counterlung. :P

During this ascent, we bailed out to open circuit so that we could practice venting the wings, the drysuit and the counterlung (without breathing from it while the gas expands). No problem.

We went back on the loop at about 20 feet or so. This time, I vented gas much better in the shallows, and I was able to swim along under the boat, at about six feet of depth, all the way to the ladder.

I am up to about 550 minutes on my Optima. Some things are clicking. I am learning something on every dive. That's my goal at this point: to learn something, and to do better at something on every dive. No doubt, this is challenging. However, it is fun! :D

6Gill was on the boat diving with us. One disclaimer: Anything bad that he saw is a lie. :P

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 05 February 2006 - 05:29 PM.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#49 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

6Gill was on the boat diving with us. One disclaimer: Anything bad that he saw is a lie. :P

The report will hinge on if the check clears or not :welcome:

Eric

#50 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

Two more ocean dives this past week. Things are definitely heading in the right direction . . . finally!

We dove the wreck of the Spiegel Grove, located off of Key Largo, Florida. http://www.ecophotoe...piegelGrove.asp. Max depth was 115 feet though average was more like 105.

Multiple drills included: hypoxia, hyperoxia, bailout to OC while ascending, plugging in offboard gas in SCR mode, passing bailout bottles back and forth while passing through restrictions in the wreck. Things are still not always pretty when I do them. However, I now know where everything is, how to use everything and what to do for the failure scenarios.

Several small equipment modifications I did before these dives made life even better. I combined my slate, compass and primary handset into one unit. I combined my backup handset with my Suunto D3. Now, I don't have so many gauges taking up so much real estate on each arm. I added some innertube to straps so that they would not be dangling. I added some convenience items like a bolt kit so that I can remove my backplate and wing with standard wing nuts instead of having to use a screw driver.

I will be re-distributing a bit of weight to make things even better after this. My trim is not bad. However, it is taking more effort to hold trim than I would like. So, I think that a little weight shifting will remedy this.

Buoyancy is still something that will also need some work. Passing down the hallways of the wreck, I wanted to be in mid-water. Instead, I kept finding myself about a foot off of the floor. I would slowly add some gas to my wing. However, it took several adjustments until I would be in the position I was trying for. By then, we would already be exiting the hall. So, this is a skill I will surely be working on until I nail it.

Just one more dive and the written exam to go. Wish me luck!

I now have 630 minutes on my Optima.

#51 Rob underwater

Rob underwater

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Have a dive or two

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

May I be so bold to ask, how much that set you back?

I've been drooling over the "Evolution" ever since i saw it at the Long Beach scuba show. (it will be mine, oh yes, it will be.)The cost though, Yikes!!!! I guess I'll have to find someone who is carries the Optima for me to poke and prod.

Rob
:)

#52 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

Just one more dive and the written exam to go. Wish me luck! ...

Good luck, Howard! :)

#53 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:25 AM

Two more ocean dives this past week. Things are definitely heading in the right direction . . . finally!

Several small equipment modifications I did before these dives made life even better. I combined my slate, compass and primary handset into one unit. I combined my backup handset with my Suunto D3. Now, I don't have so many gauges taking up so much real estate on each arm. I added some innertube to straps so that they would not be dangling. I added some convenience items like a bolt kit so that I can remove my backplate and wing with standard wing nuts instead of having to use a screw driver.

IJust one more dive and the written exam to go. Wish me luck!

I now have 630 minutes on my Optima.

So have you incorparated the LED back up light you showed me?
One dive and a test then the real fun begins :)

Small hijack...startin on the KISS next week then with any luck first dive will be on the weekend so maybe time to add a rebreather squad-show up on the SD dive trips dressed as the grim reaper ect.

Looking foward to the next time I'm down there to some dark side diving as I to have seen the light.I wont be as quick as Howard to turn my back on OC diving though...

Eric

#54 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

I've been drooling over the "Evolution" ever since i saw it at the Long Beach scuba show. (it will be mine, oh yes, it will be.)The cost though, Yikes!!!! I guess I'll have to find someone who is carries the Optima for me to poke and prod.

Rob
:)

Count on it costing about $12,500 by the time you are done with everything including training. :birthday: I try not to think about that part. I think of it in terms of how many helium dives I will do until it pays for itself! :bam:

#55 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

So have you incorparated the LED back up light you showed me?

Yes, and they worked tremendously. I mounted one on each side of my mask. They are out of the way yet easily reached whenever I would need to use them.

. . . startin on the KISS next week then with any luck first dive will be on the weekend so maybe time to add a rebreather squad-show up on the SD dive trips dressed as the grim reaper ect.

Another soul lost to the Dark Side. Join us! The Dark Side is calling you!

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 02 March 2006 - 09:46 AM.

#56 Rob underwater

Rob underwater

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Have a dive or two

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

Rob
:-D

Count on it costing about $12,500 by the time you are done with everything including training. :D I try not to think about that part. I think of it in terms of how many helium dives I will do until it pays for itself! :-D

I thought as much. Daunting, yet not impossible. The "Evolution" looked to be about as much. Guess I'll have to look at them both and weigh it out so to speak.

Have fun with that.
Cheers,
Rob
:-D

#57 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Well, I am almost official at this point. I finally did my last dive after having to call off one outing due to a head cold, and then having one dive called just before departure due to bad weather.

Prior to this dive, I made some further modifications to my setup. I changed from a steel plate to an aluminum backplate. I then shifted some weight (a substitute for the steel) up toward my head to fine tune my trim. While my trim was pretty good on my last dives, I would still be a little bit butt heavy whenever I would stop moving. I was hoping that this adjustment would take care of this problem.

After weeks of poor weather, it was finally a nice day for diving: smoothe seas, good viz (about 50-60 feet), and no current. It felt great to get back into the water after a three week hiatus.

For a few minutes, I was rusty and felt like I was underweighted. However, once I got down to minimum loop volume, I felt much better. I stopped and hovered. My weight re-distribution worked; I was happy to find out I no longer had any issues with low butt trim even when hovering. On to the drills!

We did all of our favorite tunes: hypoxia, hyperoxia (solenoid stuck open), hypercapnia, flooded loop, SCR mode. I am getting better at flushing the loop though I will keep needing to work on this. Buoyancy is good but not up to what I would call instructor level proficiency yet--I would have thought that this would not still be an issue at this point. Oh well, another thing to add to the list for practice.

We finished the dive with a free ascent (no line) on open circuit, controlling gas expansion in the wing, drysuit and counterlungs. Then, it was back onto the loop for deco and then to the surface. I can stop my ascent anywhere I choose and hold it.

Although I completed my final required dive for my class by this first dive, we were on a dive boat that was out for a two dive outing. So, I got a bonus session in the water with my instructor.

This last dive is what made the class the most valuable to me. It felt great to enjoy a CCR dive with confidence. Drills were both fun and great training.

After plugging in offboard gas and doing SCR practice for several minutes, we spent a great deal of time passing the bailout bottles back and forth (while breathing from them on open circuit). This gave me a great chance to practice using my sidemount setup and to get muscle memory for attaching and disconnecting my bailout bottle (since my prior setup did not have the sidemount extension from my backplate). It also gave me the chance to stow and deploy the hoses several times while in the sidemount bailout configuration.

I still need to adjust the length of my tail strap on my bailout bottle. However, I am really enjoying sidemounting my bailout a lot. I will adjust a little at a time until everything is tight but easily used.

Fortunately, a friend of mine tagged along with us. He took video. So, I can look at that to see what I need to do to improve from here. I still see some danglies that I will take care of before the next dive. There's always more to do. But, that's part of the fun.

I have really enjoyed my training with Tom Mount. I feel very lucky to have been able to tap into a lifetime of experience from a diving (and rebreather) pioneer. I have gotten so many little tidbits from him along the way beyond what I am guessing most people get in their instruction.

Now, I only have to pass my written examination for my certification to become official. I hope that my account of my transition will be helpful to anyone who is about to undergo this process, and who wants to get a little insight into one CCR diver's path to bubbleless diving. Thanks for taking the time to follow my story.

#58 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

Now that I am free from doing class drills, I finally got a chance to do my first fun dives on my Optima. MannyDib and I signed up for a two dive outing off of Pompano Beach, Florida.

On our first dive, we dove the Captain Dan wreck, with average depth of about 100, bottom time of 30 minutes. Water temp was about 74 to 75 degrees. Visibility was very good, probably 50 to 70 feet. Almost no current, and seas were less than one foot. The air was about 60F. So, it was great to be wearing a drysuit without sweating out of the water (for once).

I felt pretty good on the rebreather. I had made an adjustment to my sidemount bailout tank since my last dive, making the tail a bit shorter and moving the band around the tank. This certainly snugged the tank up well though I think I still need to adjust the tank band a bit before I am final with the setup. One thing I can say is that it felt like I wasn't carrying anything. Sidemounting is great!

I also adjusted the placement of the HUD. Now, I can finally see it. I am finally able to use it for monitoring my PPO2. It is pretty convenient not to have to look at the gauges all the time.

I am now wrapping the handset cables around my arms instead of just letting them hang out. This eliminates the danglies.

During ascent, we spent time shining our lights around. We saw some pretty squid swimming around us in the darkness.

On our second dive, we did a drift over a 50 foot reef. We spent a few minutes playing with the cuttle fish that was about a foot long. I am hoping Manny's video of this comes out well.

There was some surge on this dive. I was surprised that such a small change in depth (when not so near the surface) affected my buoyancy as much as it did.

Making a free ascent, I will have to admit that I had poor buoyancy control. I think that part of the issue is the lag time between depth change and my computer picking up the change of depth. I think I will start to use my D3's ascent meter on future outings. Honestly, it is hard to tell what was going on since we were doing free ascents in the darkness.

Buoyancy is still going to take some work. I am surprised at how long this is taking. Otherwise, I am please with my unit and the progress I have made so far.

#59 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

Diving the darkside at night....
Are you finding a difference in how the marine life interacts or ignores your precence?or are those noise polluting bubble making open circuit divers still scaring things away?

Eric

#60 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

Diving the darkside at night....
Are you finding a difference in how the marine life interacts or ignores your precence?or are those noise polluting bubble making open circuit divers still scaring things away?

Eric

So far, the latter. When is your KISS arriving? Maybe you can make the July NC trip, and then we can find out if it makes the difference everyone says it does.

I will say that on a prior training dive the fish life did seem to come right up to two of us on CCR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users