• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Help! My apartment has turned into a dive shop!!!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:59 PM

what...you found skinny twins?? :D

where'd you go, erin??

Well, more like I made my own skinny twins, TF. I have to say they're awesome... exactly what I've been looking for in terms of recreational diving. The 104's were great training for me, but nowdays they really seem like overkill. The 72's feel like I'm wearing a single aluminum 80, very sweet.

I was looking for the tanks forever. Right after I bought 4 of them and paid to have them shipped from the east coast, people started crawling out of the woodwork offering to sell me their old 72's. Sigh, Murphy's Law I guess.

Where'd I go? I answered that in the shared photo's section. Sunrise Beach, Les Davis, Pt. Defiance, and Dalco. Lot's of fun.

#17 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / DIR-F in training
  • Logged Dives:165+

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:21 PM

Right after I bought 4 of them and paid to have them shipped from the east coast, people started crawling out of the woodwork offering to sell me their old 72's.

Where??? I think I may be in the market for some soon, just like everyone else apparently.............
FreeFloat
Toronto (North York), Ontario

Another day Wet is another day Happy

#18 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 19 May 2004 - 09:21 AM

As to your dilemma, CT, just get a compressor and open up for business. Why fight it?
coppermaus

#19 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

As to your dilemma, CT, just get a compressor and open up for bidness. Why fight it?

I really can't fight it...

I've been pricing compressors for several months now. My buddy and I have been thinking of going into the boating business. A dive business may be in my future, who knows? But if I do, I'm really going to try to open it somewhere besides my apartment.

#20 randy54

randy54

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:23 PM

12 step program won't work. It requires that you actually want to stop what you're doing. And if you stop, you go all :dancing:
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#21 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

I really can't fight it...

There you go -- if you can't beat it, make a profit off it.

BTW, does your apartment have women's dry suits in a size 6 perchance? And would you take a very slightly used 7mm wetsuit in trade? Yeah, yeah, I should've listened you and Lubold before...
coppermaus

#22 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:02 PM

BTW, does your apartment have women's dry suits in a size 6 perchance? And would you take a very slightly used 7mm wetsuit in trade? Yeah, yeah, I should've listened you and Lubold before...

Hehehehe.... Can I say "I told you so!!!" ???
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#23 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

BTW, does your apartment have women's dry suits in a size 6 perchance? And would you take a very slightly used 7mm wetsuit in trade?  Yeah, yeah, I should've listened you and Lubold before...

What?!?! Another wetsuit diver, seduced to the Dark Side of diving "dry"? Say it ain't so!!

I am proud to announce that I own a perfectly functional drysuit which has exactly 2 of my 53 dives on it. I am a wetsuit diver and ONLY a wetsuit diver unless someone can give me a really compelling reason why I should switch. The way I have it figured, anyone (such as myself) who can pull off a 30 or 35 minute bottom time in 32°F water, really doesn't need to put up with the inconvenience of a drysuit...............

:cool1:

PS yes my avatar is wearing a Drysuit.

Edited by FreeFloat, 19 May 2004 - 07:09 PM.

FreeFloat

#24 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:09 PM

BTW, does your apartment have women's dry suits in a size 6 perchance? And would you take a very slightly used 7mm wetsuit in trade?  Yeah, yeah, I should've listened you and Lubold before...

Heh heh heh... yeah. Listen to the moose. Drysuits are where it's at.

#25 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:13 PM

You can but....
Consequences of messing with the 'Maus

Thanks 'Maus!! :cool1:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#26 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

What?!?! Another wetsuit diver, seduced to the Dark Side of diving "dry"? Say it ain't so!!

I am proud to announce that I own a perfectly functional drysuit which has exactly 2 of my 53 dives on it. I am a wetsuit diver and ONLY a wetsuit diver unless someone can give me a really compelling reason why I should switch. The way I have it figured, anyone (such as myself) who can pull off a 30 or 35 minute bottom time in 32°F water, really doesn't need to put up with the inconvenience of a drysuit...............

All I can say is, Freefloat, you are indeed a truly rare sort of hardcore. Most of us would go into shock within the first 5 minutes of jumping into 32 degree water in a wetsuit.

As for me, besides the warmth a drysuit provides, especially on the surface between dives, I have to admit that shimmying into a wetsuit ( especially a wet wetsuit ) is far more inconvenient than my drysuit ever will be.

I've seen pics of you gearing up in your wetsuit with snow on the ground... Sheesh. You truly are a rare breed.

#27 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:18 PM

Wanna sell it? What size???

signed,
A proud member of the WWS (warm water sissies)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#28 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:20 PM

The way I have it figured, anyone (such as myself) who can pull off a 30 or 35 minute bottom time in 32°F water, really doesn't need to put up with the inconvenience of a drysuit.

Amazing, but that's definitely not me. In 61* water for 5 hours per day I'm frozen almost to the core. They say once you get hypothermic you're more susceptible to it, and I've gotten there twice in two months. The one day's diving I have in my new 7mm suit and 5mm vest/hood may be all I ever use it that stuff for.... or I'll go back in August and freeze all over again.
coppermaus

#29 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:12 PM

... I have to admit that shimmying into a wetsuit ( especially a wet wetsuit ) is far more inconvenient than my drysuit ever will be.

Okay, you got me there. My incidences of repetitive wetsuit diving tend to dwindle down to one-dive-per-day around February, and then wait until mid to end March before I'm back up to willing to do 2 or more dives per day. My only caveat is that I'd durn well better stay toasty pre-dive or that's it for me - once that core chills there's nothing that will warm it except time.

Not to mention it gets rather difficult to separate a solid ball of ice back into wetsuit pieces for a second winter dive...........

I've seen pics of you gearing up in your wetsuit with snow on the ground... Sheesh. You truly are a rare breed.

Thanks, although the term my (drysuit-toting) buddies prefer tends to sound a lot like "insane"..........

Edited by FreeFloat, 19 May 2004 - 08:14 PM.

FreeFloat

#30 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

Im getting cold just thinking about 32 deg F water!!! I love climbing into my nice soft drysuit undergarments, and then my nice easy to don drysuit... No pulling, tugging or stretching to get the suit on. Then, I plug in my p-valve and I can have a nice long dive in 32 deg F water being able to pee whenever I want (and not get my suit all nasty), and get out perfectly warm and dry (and not have to worry about freezing my butt off changing out of a wet wetsuit when the AIR temp is 40 deg F. Yeah, I love my drysuit. I actually own three drysuits (one is out of commission at this time), and I will never dive wet again when the water (or air for that matter) is colder than 55 deg F!!!
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users