• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What piece(s) of dive equipment have you ruined?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

Things that come to mind

I cracked the frame of a mask but did not realise until I tried to clear the anoying leak and the lens poped out in my hand. I finished the dive with my head cocked and the lower eye closed. That gave me a "hurt" in the neck.
Another time I was finishing a class for another instructor in some rough surf. The student was hesitant to go through the surf zone so I came back in to coach him. I was standing with my back to the waves and leaning into them. I was using a sherwood maximus which has a long underarm hose. I leaned back into the wave and the 2nd stage got caught. The wave stood me back up and broke the hose. End of dive!
I have worn out or broken just about everything else used for diveing as I am very rough on gear. I tore a hole in the shell of one of my DiveRite wings the 3rd time it was in the water. The aircell lasted another 6 years and was retired in working condition.
Most emberising was flooding a Nikonus strobe. I sent it off for service along with the cord. I removed the orings from the cord so they would put new orings on. They did not. First dive after service the strobe started fireing on decent. I surfaced and found the missing oring after the dive. I considered it my fault for not checking that they had replaced orings. I got lucky the camera did not flood also.
Cheers Jim[s]
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#17 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Let me first say that my brain is not hard wired to deal with cold weather, If I think about it, I'm ok, it just doesn't come naturally.

That being said, never leave wet scuba gear in your car when the temp drops below -10. nuff said
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users