• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2 New Forums??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

Have I never noticed this before, or are these new forums...

SNORKELING and FREEDIVING

PROTECT and SERVE OUR EARTH, WATER and CHILDREN

:P

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

Yes they are new...I was just about ready to announce them! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

SNORKELING and FREEDIVING :P

It's under the Department of Redundancy and Repetition Department.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

Yes they are new...I was just about ready to announce them! -ww

Oopsy! :P

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

Guess that makes you the head of the dept!!! :lmao:

But seriously...we will be having lots of activity in these forums soon! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

Not that I'm in any position to question the wisdom of the mighty *Yoda*, but doesn't snorkeling entail wearing a snorkel and moving along the surface, whereas freediving is diving to great depths on a single breath?

#7 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:49 AM

Not that I'm in any position to question the wisdom of the mighty *Yoda*, but doesn't snorkeling entail wearing a snorkel and moving along the surface, whereas freediving is diving to great depths on a single breath?

Well, the terms are really about ego. Accomplished breath hold divers don't want to be called "snorkelers" usually because the connotation of a snorkeler is someone who possesses less adequate breath hold diving skills and isn't either SCUBA certified or capable of becoming a SCUBA diver. So, those who are avid and skilled breath hold divers are happy being referred to as "spearos", "freedivers", "skin divers", "breath hold divers", "apnea divers" etc., but detest the snorkeling term. Also, many breath hold divers forgo snorkels for safety or because of personal preference. So, to say they are snorkeling would be incorrect. Before the general public and even the diving public became more educated about diving related terms after the advent of SCUBA, even the term "free diving" once meant any dive not requiring a tethered umbilical for surface or diving bell supplied air/gas. "Skin diving" was used for both SCUBA and breath hold divers. People in our world today like to categorize everything to the last detail and people are also very careful to use terminology that won't offend others or want to clarify their level of skill. Because breath hold diving became a competitive sport, people now often hear terms like apnea or freediving since these are most often used in competition circles. Technically if you're using a snorkel you are snorkeling no matter what depth you are diving. Philosophically speaking, if you're on the surface when making a 200 foot breath hold dive you might be a "snorkeler", but once you've begun a breath hold descent you might then be a "freediver".

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:03 AM

Trace, great detailed explanation. I do not find the terms redundant or repetitious.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#9 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

I forgot to mention that freediving skill is not depth related. Some freedivers are exceptional when it comes to breath hold time, but they might not even dive below 30 to 50 feet. I know some truly skilled spearos who spend the majority of their dives from the surface to just 10 or 20 feet. They have the ability to cavitate very little when moving thus not scaring away the fish they are hunting. You can have a snorkeler with little grace and fluidity who can reach 40 to 50 feet, but he/she would not be considered a "freediver" by those who use the term to describe skilled breath hold diving. While some may find this a discussion of semantics to the passionate breath hold diver these are definitive terms.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:26 AM

Here is an update on our new category of forums... PROTECT and SERVE OUR EARTH, WATER and CHILDREN:

We have 3 forums in this new category...Fun & Amazing Facts, General Discussions and Worthy Causes. Please note that if you'd like SD to support a cause that you think is worthy, please let us know. You can send your cause and reason for our support to CommentsandConcerns@singledivers.com or you can pm us at comments&concerns via the board.

You'll find fun and amazing facts about our earth, water and the children of our world...all of which we are dedicated to serving and protecting.

Use this forum for general discussions in this category. Thank you for being socially aware and for your efforts to educate, protect and serve our Earth, Waters & our Children.

SD is committed to serving and protecting the world we live in, the ocean we dive in and the children of the world that provide its future. Our worthy causes are listed here. If you want to list a cause here, send an email to CommentsandConcerns@singledivers.com and requet our input. Or you can pm comments&concerns via the board. -Thank You SD Staff

formerly...

#11 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

If Trace needs Comedic Relief at the January Ginnie Clinic & HH, he can "school me" using my brand-ie new Cressi Gara's... :cheerleader: (now WHERE did that Snorkel get stuffed?) I'm getting them wet for the first time this coming Sat at Crystal River...

Norm

I forgot to mention that freediving skill is not depth related. Some freedivers are exceptional when it comes to breath hold time, but they might not even dive below 30 to 50 feet. I know some truly skilled spearos who spend the majority of their dives from the surface to just 10 or 20 feet. They have the ability to cavitate very little when moving thus not scaring away the fish they are hunting. You can have a snorkeler with little grace and fluidity who can reach 40 to 50 feet, but he/she would not be considered a "freediver" by those who use the term to describe skilled breath hold diving. While some may find this a discussion of semantics to the passionate breath hold diver these are definitive terms.

Trace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users