• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CPR Update 2006

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:53 AM

The American Heart Association has just released new infromation saying
that a study found that doing 30 compressions and two breaths is better than
the old 15/2. I saw this article on a national news program.

any SD member wanting to add to this thread about this topic PLZ Do.

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:06 AM

I saw that too. They mentioned changes to AED procedures and dropping some of the assessment steps.

Anyone have the full details?
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 firemedicdiver

firemedicdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic
  • Logged Dives:not very many

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

cpr is going to 30:2 compressions to breaths
AED (automatic external defibrillator) is changing also, you will shock once then do cpr for 2 minutes, then shock again followed by cpr, each round of shocks is just one compared to the three that we used to do.
The assessment is different for lay people (non health care providers) they no longer check for pulses (been that way for about 2-3 years now) and that we now do 2 minutes of cpr before calling for help.

I will review the rest of the changes and post them when I get back to work and read them again. These are the ones that just stuck in my head, if I remembered them wrong I'll correct them at the same time I update the rest of the changes.

The changes I believe were supposed to take effect in November 2005 but American Heart Association wont have the updated books and refrences until March 2006. So be on the look out for changes next year.

Hope this helps
Dan

"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba equipment for what I told her I paid for it." -- Anonymous

#4 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:16 AM

Ditto what Dan said. I renewed my CPR a couple of months ago and we did the 30/2, 2 minute before calling, AED stuff, etc....
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#5 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

I found this on the Internet.

Simplification
The authors of the 2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC simplified the BLS sequences, particularly for lay rescuers, to minimize differences in the steps and techniques of CPR used for infant, child, and adult victims. For the first time, a universal compression-ventilation ratio (30:2) is recommended for all single rescuers of infant, child, and adult victims (excluding newborns).

AmericanHeart.org

More Info

I did find two conflicting reports on how to treat drowning Victims...so you might do your own studying
on that subject.

B2B

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 25 December 2005 - 07:10 PM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#6 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:37 PM

Simplification
The authors of the 2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC simplified the BLS sequences, particularly for lay rescuers, to minimize differences in the steps and techniques of CPR used for infant, child, and adult victims. For the first time, a universal compression-ventilation ratio (30:2) is recommended for all single rescuers of infant, child, and adult victims (excluding newborns).

AmericanHeart.org

More Info

I did find two conflicting reports on how to treat drowning Victims...so you might do your own studying
on that subject.

B2B

In actuality...the latest thing is that compressions without respirations can save a life...often there is plenty of oxygen in the bloodstream...it just needs to be circulated...of course, lets hope an AED is handy.
who's leading this parade anyway?

#7 firemedicdiver

firemedicdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic
  • Logged Dives:not very many

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Simplification

AmericanHeart.org

More Info

on that subject.

B2B

In actuality...the latest thing is that compressions without respirations can save a life...often there is plenty of oxygen in the bloodstream...it just needs to be circulated...of course, lets hope an AED is handy.

You are correct in that chest compression alone can save a life based on a recent study (I don't remember the name of it), but it is also based on EMS arriving shortly there after. I believe the study was done in WA where there is alot of EMS/Fire units with quick response times. It the response time is going to be awhile then we have to do the respirations. One of the things that was discussed was to teach just the chest compressions to the lay people in an attempt to alleviate the fears of catching a disease.

On a side note it is amazing that people will kiss a complete stanger but wont do mouth to mouth on one for fear of catching a disease. Now granted you are lip locked a little longer doing mouth to mouth unless you really like the stranger you are kissing. I believe that you are more likely to catch something if the victim vomits, which is what I am more afraid of. I hate watching someone vomit. I am not advocating that everyone do mouth to mouth on everyone or that you should stop kissing strangers but I am advocating that you should have some kind of barrier device with you at all times. They are small enough now that you can carry them any where.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Dan

"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba equipment for what I told her I paid for it." -- Anonymous

#8 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:50 AM

Simplification

AmericanHeart.org

More Info

on that subject.

B2B

You are correct in that chest compression alone can save a life based on a recent study (I don't remember the name of it), but it is also based on EMS arriving shortly there after. I believe the study was done in WA where there is alot of EMS/Fire units with quick response times. It the response time is going to be awhile then we have to do the respirations. One of the things that was discussed was to teach just the chest compressions to the lay people in an attempt to alleviate the fears of catching a disease.

On a side note it is amazing that people will kiss a complete stanger but wont do mouth to mouth on one for fear of catching a disease. Now granted you are lip locked a little longer doing mouth to mouth unless you really like the stranger you are kissing. I believe that you are more likely to catch something if the victim vomits, which is what I am more afraid of. I hate watching someone vomit. I am not advocating that everyone do mouth to mouth on everyone or that you should stop kissing strangers but I am advocating that you should have some kind of barrier device with you at all times. They are small enough now that you can carry them any where.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Correct again...and oh the vomit part reminds me why I don't do mouth to mouth...I need to restcok the gloves and ambu bag in my truck (hmm won't help if Im alone) oh well....

#9 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

The real issue with field CPR is that trained medical and nursing personnel most often cannot provide adequate ventilation for a patient in the hospital (with equipment), much less the lay public trying to do mouth ventilation on an unconscious stranger on the street, or shopping mall floor. It is that the anatomy prevents adequate ventilation, and the lay public do not recognize airway obstruction. Vomiting aside, the technique doesn't work.
Blood flow generated from chest compressions sequentially builds up with each compression. When compressions stop (to check pulse, give breaths, shock, etc), the "built up" circulation drops back to zero, and it takes multiple compressions to build back up. This is the basis for emphasizing more compressions and less of everything else. Hearts also defibrillate better after a couple of minutes of compressions compared to hearts that are shocked right away.
Summary: Don't stop pressing the chest. Call for help. If the individual does not regain a spontaneous pulse and blood pressure within about 10 minutes, their functional survival rate is near zero.
Diving; My zen space.

#10 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:45 PM

HMMM. a Dr. and cute too....Kamala..you are doing a GREAT job with the recruiting...KEEP IT UP :birthday:

#11 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

HMMM. a Dr. and cute too....Kamala..you are doing a GREAT job with the recruiting...KEEP IT UP :birthday:

Nope, check out his member number - he's been around longer than ME> I believe he was on the first Coz trip. Good to see you back!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#12 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

Luann. Thanks for the kind words. You should see me after a couple of tequilas and an air guitar. Jill, you are right. I was around in the beginning, and at the infamous Jan Coz trip. Where B2B indirectly helped another guy save a LOT of $$$ at the chamber. Plan to go back for a quick trip in March. Oh, the good old days.......when I actually named the first angels.

Edited by No Pressure, 29 January 2006 - 12:22 AM.

Diving; My zen space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users