• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why don't divers in trouble

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 captainbob

captainbob

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:3k

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

Good question.
The answer? PANIC. The time between recognition that a problem has crossed into life threatening to panic is quite short. The onset of clinical panic symptoms precludes, by definition, rationality.
do what I want and no one gets hurt ;-)

#17 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

Ok...folks.....I am the one wearing 30lbs with a 5 ml suit and gloves..granted I am overweight but I am not out of shape...I run, do aerobics.lift weights yada yada..the problem in this scenerio was the dive master left a new diver in the water alone......I would have quickly dropped my weight belt if I was on the surface bcd inflated and started to sink...again the problem was not her weight but her dive master....who would leave a new diver (overweight or not) in the water alone for that length of time.
who's leading this parade anyway?

#18 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hi Finley,
Seems a bit harsh to blame the DM for what happened....
1)She is a certified diver that an instructor has determined able to dive
2)She was at the surface(speculation on my part here)not calling for help or appearing in distress
3)Where was her buddy?
4)For what ever reason she did not drop her weights ,which at the surface is not anywhere as tramatic as ditching at depth
5)What was her course like,was the material covered properly?did she demonstrate all the skill properly?
6)Was she fimilar with a weight integrated system?

Now I've worked on diveboats so thats why I'm not so quick to asign blame to crew.Hindsight is always 20/20 and it is always easy to go back and figure out where things started to unravel...to my way of thinking the problem could have been prevented before she even got on the boat.
When anyone dies needlessly it is a sad thing and figuring out what went wrong or why it couldn't happen to us makes us feel better.To the group as a whole I ask you..Have you ever tried dumping your weights(other than OW class)?Can you get at the buckle/pull toggles easily or have you covered them up?Does the belt hang up on something after it's released?

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users