• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Illegal Use of Avatars

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

It seems we have some avatars containing horns today and they don't seem to look much like the faces of those Charter members and admin I've met on this site. :-D :teeth: :cool2:

Edited by nextariel, 05 January 2006 - 06:22 PM.

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#2 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

It does appear that at least one charter member has grown some pretty big ones since last I saw her. I'm sure its just a Texas thing.
"

#3 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

hmmmm - I got put in time out for posting a picture of a starfish as an avatar - maybe if I'd had horns on it - I could have kept it up! :P
Known puker

#4 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

Since I have had my hand lovingly slapped by a Charter Member on this issue before, note that Charter Members are allowed to use "non-personal" avatars as stated here under membership privileges:

Unique designation as a Charter Member and the opportunity to change your avatar to a non-personal photo related picture

#5 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

Since I have had my hand lovingly slapped by a Charter Member on this issue before, note that Charter Members are allowed to use "non-personal" avatars as stated here under membership privileges:

Unique designation as a Charter Member and the opportunity to change your avatar to a non-personal photo related picture

I see so they pay the big bucks to be horny! Somebodies got to take the cheap ones!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

:P :P :dance:

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

Jill

I see so they pay the big bucks to be horny! Somebodies got to take the cheap ones!

( insert smilie toweling off keyboards after Big Choke here :dance: :P

B2B :P
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#8 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:06 AM

Jill

( insert smilie toweling off keyboards after Big Choke here :) :teeth:

B2B :wub:

:lmao:
who's leading this parade anyway?

#9 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:40 PM

Some people are just natural born rebels. :birthday:

#10 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

Some people are just natural born rebels. :birthday:

And some people are just born "Hawk"... :twist:

#11 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:33 AM

Some people are just natural born rebels. :evilgrin:

Finally!

someone understands me :lmao:

#12 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:28 AM

Just curious what the justification for this rule is? Just odd considering that 95% of the people on this site have never gone on a trip much less post a message at all, and there is no way to conform what they look like. BTW, I'm registered on quite a few other forums and no one else has this "restriction".
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

Just curious what the justification for this rule is? Just odd considering that 95% of the people on this site have never gone on a trip much less post a message at all, and there is no way to conform what they look like. BTW, I'm registered on quite a few other forums and no one else has this "restriction".

We're ahead of our time. From the FAQs:

Avatar: Avatars are representations of ourselves. An avatar is fun to have by your name in your posts. Usually they are cartoons or drawings but we have chosen to use miniature photos of ourselves. When we use photos of ourselves as avatars, it lets us get to know each other better. It is easier to remember faces than names, especially screen names. Since our purpose is to get to know each other and to dive together, our avatar policy promotes this. Please note that the picture you upload or have us help you to upload must be of you. It can be a diving picture or a 'dry' shot, whichever you prefer.

We've found it does work, I feel I know folks better when they use a photo as an avatar. Personally, I was against allowing exceptions for Admins & Charter members, but those exceptions do exist.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

Walter is right...When the site was created it was highly unusual for people to use real photos for their avatars...unless of course if you were a dating site. Most diving sites used other personalized pictures rarely of themself...as an avatar.

We wanted to be different. We also wanted to have our members get to know one another faster, more easily and create an open atmosphere of friendship and camaraderie.

We also rely on the honor system on the site. Just as we don't validate the information in your profile such as gender, age or marital status, we don't validate if your picture is really you. However, should we find that a member purposefully is misleading someone with the information in their profile, or is found posting a picture of someone else, they will be asked to change it or even to leave the community.

As it turns out...we were an innovator and now MANY diving sites encourage you to post real pictures of yourself to allow for other members to get to know you better.

Avatar: Avatars are representations of ourselves. An avatar is fun to have by your name in your posts. Usually they are cartoons or drawings but we have chosen to use miniature photos of ourselves. When we use photos of ourselves as avatars, it lets us get to know each other better. It is easier to remember faces than names, especially screen names. Since our purpose is to get to know each other and to dive together, our avatar policy promotes this. Please note that the picture you upload or have us help you to upload must be of you. It can be a diving picture or a 'dry' shot, whichever you prefer. See "My Controls" for how to upload your avatar.

For more info click here!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

We've found it does work, I feel I know folks better when they use a photo as an avatar.

Yeah but if the person is in scuba gear like mine is how will you know me better? Also since you don't know the people to begin with how do you know the photo is really them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users