• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Illegal Use of Avatars

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

We've found it does work, I feel I know folks better when they use a photo as an avatar.

Yeah but if the person is in scuba gear like mine is how will you know me better? Also since you don't know the people to begin with how do you know the photo is really them?

Like Kamala said, we rely on the honor system. Yes, you can get around the system by using a diving photo or one in which you can't really be seen well. At the time we started this site, this was a groundbreaking concept and we expected some resistance. There's been some, but less than we expected. I'd love to see a change requiring avatars to be clear photos of the person's face. Since I'm no longer part of this site's management team, I won't be proposing such a change.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:50 AM

We've found it does work, I feel I know folks better when they use a photo as an avatar.

Yeah but if the person is in scuba gear like mine is how will you know me better? Also since you don't know the people to begin with how do you know the photo is really them?

Like Kamala said, we rely on the honor system. Yes, you can get around the system by using a diving photo or one in which you can't really be seen well. At the time we started this site, this was a groundbreaking concept and we expected some resistance. There's been some, but less than we expected. I'd love to see a change requiring avatars to be clear photos of the person's face. Since I'm no longer part of this site's management team, I won't be proposing such a change.

You don't have to be part of the site's management my dear...anyone can make suggestions or propose changes! Besides you know you are always welcome back! :evilgrin:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

This is the first and only internet board that I am an active member on, so I did not know that the personal pics were an unusual concept. But now I can't imagine not having them. It humanizes the whole communication process. I feel like I'm talking to real people. I have met many people from this board in person and everyone I have met has posted real pictures of themselves. I have been on other sites and seen the cartoons and such, and it just feels creepy to be conversing with someone you can't see. I think it's a great policy, and I hope it never changes.

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

This is the first and only internet board that I am an active member on, so I did not know that the personal pics were an unusual concept. But now I can't imagine not having them. It humanizes the whole communication process. I feel like I'm talking to real people. I have met many people from this board in person and everyone I have met has posted real pictures of themselves. I have been on other sites and seen the cartoons and such, and it just feels creepy to be conversing with someone you can't see. I think it's a great policy, and I hope it never changes.

Good point, Darlin', I remember meeting you, it was almost like seeing an old friend again.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

I completely agree! When I travelled to Grenada there was no awkwardness of trying to figure out who I was travelling with or being totally suprised to put the face to the name. Over New Years Nicolle (Dive_Girl) and Ryan (diveaddict) were up here. They were driving around but I had no problem recognizing them in their vehicle thanks to the photos on this site.

#21 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

Ah, but I met a guy from another site whose photo was about 20 years out of date. :evilgrin:

#22 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

If I photoshop some earrings on Bevo, It'll look just like me. For those of you missing my lovely face, it shall return anon. I personally like the idea of charter members and admins being able to use non-personal avatars, we pay extra for the privilege and (as a group) are less likely to abuse the privilege. I don't see it running rampant in the charter member community, even mine is for a limited time only.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#23 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

If I photoshop some earrings on Bevo, It'll look just like me. For those of you missing my lovely face, it shall return anon. I personally like the idea of charter members and admins being able to use non-personal avatars, we pay extra for the privilege and (as a group) are less likely to abuse the privilege. I don't see it running rampant in the charter member community, even mine is for a limited time only.

You are right ScubaHawk. Even through the teasing, I do respect the extra privledges of the Charter members, and I appreciate the extra contributions you have made to the board.

:teeth:

#24 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

Hawk

If I photoshop some earrings on Bevo, It'll look just like me

I thought that was a picture of you after riding out the 80mph currents in Grenada.
Then I took a closer look with my glass's on and your right its Bevo :fish2:

I'm sure this is some kinda phase the upper management is going thru..

scubapunk

I think it's a great policy, and I hope it never changes.

Well before I meet you Sandy I thought you posted a pic out of some Gurly Magazine!

But You are You and who loves You Baby :teeth:

Its B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#25 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:46 PM

scubapunk

I think it's a great policy, and I hope it never changes

Well before I meet you Sandy I thought you posted a pic out of some Gurly Magazine!

But You are You and who loves You Baby :(

Its B2B

Well :teeth: Bubble Boy! I think :fish2:

#26 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:30 AM

Over New Years Nicolle (Dive_Girl) and Ryan (diveaddict) were up here. They were driving around but I had no problem recognizing them in their vehicle thanks to the photos on this site.

Holy crud and we were only 2 hours out of the water, no comb, no make-up, probably still had the dang mask ring - remember I drove onto the ferry to Vancouver in my DRYSUIT! :teeth: I like the personal pictures on this site too. Only thing is cmt489 looks even classier in person! :fish2:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

Ah, but I met a guy from another site whose photo was about 20 years out of date. :(

Hmm....looks like you should hang out here more! :fish2: But seriously...since we aren't a dating site...people tend to be more honest! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

Ah, but I met a guy from another site whose photo was about 20 years out of date. :-D

Hmm....looks like you should hang out here more! :lmao: But seriously...since we aren't a dating site...people tend to be more honest! :respect:

and tend to have more fun...since we know who we are dealing with and why....I never thought much about the avatar thing until this thread...since most were "diving" pictures that's what I posted (esp. since it's not a dating site) I didnt feel the need to have a "glamour shot" just something related to diving.....WW..do I have to do more deep thinking now???? :banghead:
who's leading this parade anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users