• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NAUI Course Director?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

Just curious. My LDS in Tyler just made an announcement that they've hired a NAUI Course Director and that's he's the only "active" one in the DFW area. I have no idea why that's such a big deal. We have Instructors, and Instructor Trainers (they train the instructors), so what does a Course Director do that makes this such a big deal?

Inquiring minds want to know! :usflag:

Edited by Twinklez, 21 January 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#2 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:51 PM

Just curious. My LDS in Tyler just made an announcement that they've hired a NAUI Course Director and that's he's the only "active" one in the DFW area. I have no idea why that's such a big deal. We have Instructors, and Instructor Trainers (they train the instructors), so what does a Course Director do that makes this such a big deal?

Inquiring minds want to know! :P

:usflag: Oh! Oh ! I know! I know! :teeth: Pick me! :lmao:

The Course Director is the one who causes the price on all the classes to go up. :D Right?

Other than that, I could not tell you.
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#3 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

Inquiring minds want to know! :P

:usflag: Oh! Oh ! I know! I know! :teeth: Pick me! :lmao:

The Course Director is the one who causes the price on all the classes to go up. :D Right?

Other than that, I could not tell you.

I sure hope not - I was just informally accepted into their Intructor Training program! I hear it's $1500 just for the required library to start the transition from DM to Instructor!

#4 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

Course Directors train other Instructor Trainers...big wand theory...

Norm

Inquiring minds want to know! :usflag:

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

In NAUI, Instructor Trainers work with Course Directors to train new Instructors. Course Directors actually have the responsibility for training and certifying all NAUI Instructors. If you want to be a NAUI Instructor, you have to go through a Course Director.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

In NAUI, Instructor Trainers work with Course Directors to train new Instructors. Course Directors actually have the responsibility for training and certifying all NAUI Instructors. If you want to be a NAUI Instructor, you have to go through a Course Director.

So unless you're training a whole lot of instructors, why would you want one of these guys on staff as a direct employee?

We have a large DM class right now, but none of them have expressed interest in instructor. I'm the only one currently on that track and I've a long way to go.

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

They can now conduct instructor courses on site and bring in folks from the entire area. It can also be used for marketing (look how good we are!).

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

Thank you guys. I truley did not know what a course director did. Now I know.
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#9 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

Tina,

Howard (ScubaDadMiami) is a NAUI Course Director. I'm sure he'll be along soon to give you the full details. If not, try PMing him. :usflag:

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Is Howard current? I thought he was retired from teaching.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Ok, I've heard the word "current" and "active" used a couple times. Does a Course Director's certification lapse? What does he have to do to recertify? Are there a lot of these titles around? or is it regional? or ???

I know that my Instructor (who is an Instructor Trainer) was at one time considering becoming a Course Director, so it kind of surprised me when he hired one instead. I know we've picked up several contracts to teach at different colleges in the area and Steve will be out having a blood clot removed from his leg; but I don't see how hiring a Course Director will alleviate his immediate need for additional instructors. Given your description and thought, I see this as a long term strategy where his organization is concerned instead.

#12 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

I'm not sure, but you may very well be correct. Howard's profile states "Course Director" as Highest Certification level.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

Ok, I've heard the word "current" and "active" used a couple times. Does a Course Director's certification lapse? What does he have to do to recertify? Are there a lot of these titles around? or is it regional? or ???

Current and active, in this usage, are the same. Instructors must renew every year. It involves proving you still have liability insurance, making sure you've certified X number (usually 6) students (any level) in the past year and paying your annual dues. I can't speak for NAUI, but with YMCA when you renew your Instructor status, the Y equivalent to CD (Institute Director when I held it, but I think it's now called Instructor Trainer) would automatically renew. I'm guessing it's the same for NAUI.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

That makes sense. Someone had mentioned that there was a test that had to be retaken every so often, and you had to go to NAUI HQ to do that, and that it cost something like $3k. You'd have to certify a whole lot of instructors to make that pay, unless you get a good chunk of change per each.

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:27 AM

I don't know, but it doesn't sound right, maybe Howard will check in soon, if not PM MB over on SB, he's also a CD for NAUI.

DSSW,

WWW™

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users