• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Curacao

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:38 AM

Do prepare yourself for the land part of Curacao. This island refines crude from Venezuela, so it is the industrial island of the ABC islands. A desert dry island, not pretty nor tropical, not as touristy as Aruba nor as dive centered as Bonaire. But there are great hotels and gambling for those that enjoy that. Also some nice snorkeling and a minor wreck near the Wilhemstadt harbor entrance area (can get there as a shore dive). Of course I am almost killed myself both snorkeling Curacao and diving on the Superior Producer, but those are posts for the "Confessions of stupid things I've done in the water" thread... :clapping:

That IS, to be honest, one of my concerns... how bad is the refinery smell? I have not seen it mentioned in any reviews I have read (except for one, but I discard that because it was such an "angry" review.) I grew up in Florida so I really don't care for "touristy" places, and the fact that it is not as dive centered as Bonaire is actually a plus since my wife is a non diver. As Terri mentioned above, the shopping etc is a draw for us as well.

And please do tell about the snorkeling and Superior Producer exploits!

Edited by Perkolater, 31 January 2006 - 09:09 AM.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#17 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

That IS, to be honest, one of my concerns... how bad is the refinery smell?

It's more of an eyesore situation than a smell problem. You only see it from certain parts when you are driving around. I don't remember being overpowered by any refinery odors or even any lingering smells. Hopefully there are no hotels downwind, and I don't remember any problems at the beaches or dive sites we visited. I only mentioned it since those looking for a pretty island will not find Curacao to always be pleasing to eye. But it does have some pretty parts and beaches and of course, great reefs!

Maybe I'll start that thread, but for now my confessions will need to be saved for when I have time to fully explain those... experiences.
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#18 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:50 AM

Thanks Mike!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users