• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Curacao

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 divephilly

divephilly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

Anyone been diving in Curacao? Can you recommend dive sites or things to do on land? I'm going there Feb.3.

T-minus 10 days and counting!!! :birthday:

#2 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

I'm highly interested as well....I'm going there in April. Any hints/suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:24 PM

Well the main thing on land is the shopping but it's been too long ago for me to recomend any dive sites. :birthday: :birthday:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:08 AM

There are way too many nice dive spots there that you cn shore dive from. Grab one of the maps that mark them, and hit a different spot each day.

Port Marie is a nice large beach that you can 2 tank dive off of - go left the first time, right the second. But you'll need someone on shore you watch your stuff... The more west the beach, the less populated they are, so they tend to be great for just the nice relaxing day all around - dive, lay on beautiful beach. Kalki used to have a big coral forest a few years back, but a close call with a hurricane wiped it down - not sure how much has grown back yet.

There's a few good spots to the east end. I can't remember the name of one spot, but the beach area is really built up with a nice bar and restaurant. It's got these low walls everywhere, and sort of a higher class area. Nice dives there, too, and nice scenery. :birthday:

For eating, go to the Fort (can't remember the name) and the Internation Cafe along the waterfront. For an afternoon trip hit the extreme West part of the island. There's a cafe on a cliff called "Sunset Cafe", or something like that. Great view - you can get a table right on the cliff edge. And then the absolute best place to eat is a restaurant called Hooks. Tell them you want a table close to the water! One time I went there, asked for that, the waiter walked us out to our table, picked up one end and brought it to where the small waves were coming up and washing our feet :birthday:

There are way too many nice dive spots there that you cn shore dive from. Grab one of the maps that mark them, and hit a different spot each day.

Port Marie is a nice large beach that you can 2 tank dive off of - go left the first time, right the second. But you'll need someone on shore you watch your stuff... The more west the beach, the less populated they are, so they tend to be great for just the nice relaxing day all around - dive, lay on beautiful beach. Kalki used to have a big coral forest a few years back, but a close call with a hurricane wiped it down - not sure how much has grown back yet.

There's a few good spots to the east end. I can't remember the name of one spot, but the beach area is really built up with a nice bar and restaurant. It's got these low walls everywhere, and sort of a higher class area. Nice dives there, too, and nice scenery. :birthday:

For eating, go to the Fort (can't remember the name) and the Internation Cafe along the waterfront. For an afternoon trip hit the extreme West part of the island. There's a cafe on a cliff called "Sunset Cafe", or something like that. Great view - you can get a table right on the cliff edge. And then the absolute best place to eat is a restaurant called Hooks. Tell them you want a table close to the water! One time I went there, asked for that, the waiter walked us out to our table, picked up one end and brought it to where the small waves were coming up and washing our feet :birthday:
Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

Great info Vulture...how does the diving compare to say Bonaire or other destinations?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

Great info Vulture...how does the diving compare to say Bonaire or other destinations?

Never got to Bonaire - all the trips to Curacaou I was supposed to stay on the island.

I did like it much better than the Caymans. Maybe it was the time of year I went to the Caymans, but I was not impressed at all. Had much more vibrant coral and sea life in Curacaou.
Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#7 divephilly

divephilly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for all the info, vulture! How many times have you been there! I leave a week from today! :cool2:

What's with all these divers who are pilots, too? What's the appeal? To go where no man has gone before? :lmao:

Melissa

#8 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:45 AM

I'm highly interested as well....I'm going there in April. Any hints/suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!

When in April? My wife and I will be there the week of the 23rd.

Thanks for the info Vulture!

Melissa, please give us a full report when you get back!

Edited by Perkolater, 30 January 2006 - 02:09 PM.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#9 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

I'm going the first part of April - 7th thru 15th I believe. Where are you staying?

I'll give you a full report!

#10 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:25 PM

I'm going the first part of April - 7th thru 15th I believe. Where are you staying?

I'll give you a full report!

Thanks! I'd appreciate it!

I have located a few dive shops that sound interesting and have exchanged a few emails with Suzy from The Dive Bus. which received good reviews on Scuba board. Their shore dive trips sound like fun.

We are staying at the Marriott, gotta keep the non-diving wife happy! :) You?

I'll look forward to your report! Have a great time and be safe!

Edited by Perkolater, 30 January 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#11 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:54 PM

That is TOO FUNNY!!! I'm staying at the Marriott as well and have also exchanged quite a few e-mails with Suzy at The Dive Bus. I'm going to be doing my AOW while there and she says they work closely with the dive op at the Marriott for their boat dives.

Almost like we booked the same vacation - just 2 weeks apart! :)

#12 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

That is TOO FUNNY!!! I'm staying at the Marriott as well and have also exchanged quite a few e-mails with Suzy at The Dive Bus. I'm going to be doing my AOW while there and she says they work closely with the dive op at the Marriott for their boat dives.

Almost like we booked the same vacation - just 2 weeks apart! :)

Great minds think alike! I can't wait for your report!

Out of curiousity, what made you chose Curacao?

I'll be honest, if it wasn't for recently reconnecting with an old friend from Saba, now living in Curacao, who I haven't seen in 20 years I doubt I would have looked into going there.

The more I read about it though, the more I like our decision!

Good luck with your AOW!

#13 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

I have this great book called 'Diving: The World's Best Sites' by Jack Jackson. It provides detailed descriptions of 75 of the world's best dive sites - along with some awesome pictures! Bonaire/Curacao is in there, but Curacao sounded like it fit my vacation style more - more stuff to do in/around town, etc. I've also talked to a few people who've been and they had nothing but great things to say....so that's how I wound up there.

#14 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:31 AM

I have this great book called 'Diving: The World's Best Sites' by Jack Jackson. It provides detailed descriptions of 75 of the world's best dive sites - along with some awesome pictures! Bonaire/Curacao is in there, but Curacao sounded like it fit my vacation style more - more stuff to do in/around town, etc. I've also talked to a few people who've been and they had nothing but great things to say....so that's how I wound up there.

Sounds good! I'll look for the book on Amazon.

If I dig up anything new I'll pass it on.

#15 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:40 AM

Great ideas from Vulture. Most if not all the dives are easily done from shore. Get a book when you get there and work yourself around the island. And maybe do a little cliff diving too. Aah, make that there is a lunch stop on a cliff overlooking a beach great for your surface interval. Finish lunch, then walk over to the side, time the waves (think acapulco) and jump into the water. Don't dive though, you may touch bottom if you try it.

In general, if you are traveling with good dive buddies, you do not need to sign up with a dive boat. Just get a cheap rental car and find a good dive shop to rent tanks/weights from. I think the furthest drive time to a dive spot may have been an hour (maybe 1.5 hours, but most are about 45 minutes). Getting small, cheap rental cars is better for when leaving it while out diving.

And yes, if you want to get cleaned up one night and truly go dining, do go to Fort Nassau:
http://www.caribbean...ort_nassau.html
Great place, great location, great food and and not very pricey.

But the diving jewel is Klein Curacao. Klein Curacao is an out island away from Curacao that has no permanant inhabitants, but when I was there just shacks for fishermen and locals who day trip for the beaches. Great diving, but you need to do a boat trip to get there (several hours each way). Klein Curacao offers drift wall dives in a place that is not easily visited--> therefore pristine reefs. It will be pricey for a day trip, but it is a must dive! (I will go twice the next time I visit Curacao)

Do prepare yourself for the land part of Curacao. This island refines crude from Venezuela, so it is the industrial island of the ABC islands. A desert dry island, not pretty nor tropical, not as touristy as Aruba nor as dive centered as Bonaire. But there are great hotels and gambling for those that enjoy that. Also some nice snorkeling and a minor wreck near the Wilhemstadt harbor entrance area (can get there as a shore dive). Of course I am almost killed myself both snorkeling Curacao and diving on the Superior Producer, but those are posts for the "Confessions of stupid things I've done in the water" thread... :clapping:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users