• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Girls -- when ya gotta go --

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

A whole other thread and something I haven't had to think about for the last 18 years! Please...don't make me go back there! :lmao:

Heh -- I hear ya -- but as a girl with major P-Valve envy and no other options -- it is some place I must go! And if you ever choose to do long dives in a drysuit --- you too must think about these things. The only things worse than shivering for a long time without being able to surface is doing it with your legs crossed. :-D

In a dry suit w/diapers, the only people I know who do that are tech divers who spend a LONG time at deco stops, and it's not for the purpose of keeping warm, it's because they have to.

Well yes -- if you are a girl -- and properly hydrated doing technical diving -- you are going to have to wear diapers. There is just no way around this.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

You learn something every day!

One day at band camp..... :lmao:

Seriously...Lake Ouchita...last summer...out on a barge and no bathroom in site. We were all in the water having just finished kick cyles and nav dives for AOW. I had to go, and whispered to another lady. She says go in your suit...it'll rinse out. No way...I'm not peeing in my suit! I really gotta go... Ok, now I'm desparate...I'll give this a try, cause if I don't my bladder's gonna burst. Damn it! It won't come out! I tried...and I tried....and I tried. Nothing would happen. Stage fright I guess. Not that I really wanted to pee in my suit, but...I had to go. I hear Steve tell us to get back up in the barge cause we're gonna go over to the dam to work on bouyancy. I'm the furthest out, but start moving toward the boat and spring a leak...a leak that just won't stop! They're all on the boat and I'm standing there....and it won't stop! OMG!!! How embarrassing!!! Steve looks over at me and says "You're not peeing in my wetsuit are you?" "Who, what? Peeing, no, I'm not peeing!" "What's the hold up? Let's go!" It still won't stop! Miss Edna, the sweet lady that suggested I pee in my wetsuit to start with is about to roll off the barge laughing! All I can say is "Damn it Edna! This is all your fault!" Now I think Briny said it about right...NEVER pee at the end of your dive! Steve's getting impatient as I take my time working my way over to the ladder hoping it all rinse out before I climb up. Oh hell no...I climb out of the water and all I feel is warm liquid running down my legs! I'm sneering and Edna's rolling with laughter!

Never, never again will I ever even attempt to pee in my wetsuit! I don't care how long I have to hold it! I'll hit the girls room 2 or 3 times before a dive just to make sure, and if there isn't a girls room around guarantee I'll be finding myself some privacy somewhere! That had to be my most embarrasing moment in diving.

Edited by Twinklez, 29 January 2006 - 08:38 PM.

#4 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

A whole other thread and something I haven't had to think about for the last 18 years! Please...don't make me go back there! :lmao:

Heh -- I hear ya -- but as a girl with major P-Valve envy and no other options -- it is some place I must go! And if you ever choose to do long dives in a drysuit --- you too must think about these things. The only things worse than shivering for a long time without being able to surface is doing it with your legs crossed. :-D

In a dry suit w/diapers, the only people I know who do that are tech divers who spend a LONG time at deco stops, and it's not for the purpose of keeping warm, it's because they have to.

Well yes -- if you are a girl -- and properly hydrated doing technical diving -- you are going to have to wear diapers. There is just no way around this.

A lot of guys use diapers too, they don't all use p-valves. A buddy I used to dive with who was a tech diver and in the medical field said he bought DEPENDS for himself in bulk because he got a great discount due to his line of work. But that's an interesting subject, designing a "p-device" for women. I'll leave that one to the experts, I don't even want to try to picture how it would work.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#5 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

Heh -- I hear ya -- but as a girl with major P-Valve envy and no other options -- it is some place I must go! And if you ever choose to do long dives in a drysuit --- you too must think about these things. The only things worse than shivering for a long time without being able to surface is doing it with your legs crossed. :lmao:

Not having dove dry before I never really thought about it for women. A few months back when I had the opportunity to assist on a boat recovery at a local lake, the guys in the water were wearing rental suits from our LDS and they had no P-valves. They were in the water a couple of hours and desparate to get out. I'm standing there thinking it's because the water's cold and there's oil and gas everywhere. When they got out they literally ran back to the truck to doff their gear and I come up on them to help them doff (that was part of my job on the recovery). Kevin looks up and sees me coming and let's out a yell..."Woah" "Tina, stop! Wait!" I couldn't figure out why they didn't want my help, but after a moment of standing there looking stupid I realized that from behind the truck door there were two solid streams of yellow liquid squirting out onto the grass. Studley Dudley yells out..."no p-valve!" "Gotcha!"

I guess it would pose a problem and certainly something I will eventually have to consider depending on where and how I decide to dive.

#6 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

You learn something every day!

One day at band camp..... :lmao:Never, never again will I ever even attempt to pee in my wetsuit! I don't care how long I have to hold it! I'll hit the girls room 2 or 3 times before a dive just to make sure, and if there isn't a girls room around guarantee I'll be finding myself some privacy somewhere! That had to be my most embarrasing moment in diving.

He he he -- oh my goodness -- I can see how that could be quite embarassing!!!

Well the only time I will usually go is in my DS tech diving and wearing a diaper when I have to -- or when shark diving and I am in the water for literally hours and again I have to --

I know it took me awhile to get over the whole diaper thing -- but after crossing my legs in deco one too many times I got over it..

A lot of guys use diapers too, they don't all use p-valves. A buddy I used to dive with who was a tech diver and in the medical field said he bought DEPENDS for himself in bulk because he got a great discount due to his line of work. But that's an interesting subject, designing a "p-device" for women. I'll leave that one to the experts, I don't even want to try to picture how it would work.

Well - the numbers of guys using diapers are less and less with the accessability and ease of p-valves -- at least the people I hang out with. But it is true some guys still use diapers -- I even know of some that use Huggies in place of the traditional Depends Overnights! :lmao:
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#7 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:24 AM

I have an idea for a Female p-valve. I just need a patner with the skills to make it. Serious PMs only - I've lost enough good ideas already.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#8 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:09 AM

Kamala & i thought about using a foley & connecting it to the normal p-valve stuff...as long as it had the part to stop it from dribbling, i think that would work. of course, you'd have to be willing to cath yourself...

#9 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Kamala & i thought about using a foley & connecting it to the normal p-valve stuff...as long as it had the part to stop it from dribbling, i think that would work. of course, you'd have to be willing to cath yourself...

How would that work on a small boat tossing around?I would think this calls for a steady hand...

Eric

#10 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

Uh, this is why I wanted to leave it to experts. I looked it up and it just made me more confused:

2 entries found for foley.
foˇley ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl)
n.
1. A technical process by which sounds are created or altered for use in a film, video, or other electronically produced work.
2. A person who creates or alters sounds using this process.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(After JackFoley (1891-1967), pioneering sound effect editor at Universal Studios in the 1930s.)
http://dictionary.re.../search?q=foley

Don't bother trying to explain it to me, I don't want to know. :lmao:

Edited by Brinybay, 30 January 2006 - 11:11 PM.

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#11 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:07 AM

Uh, this is why I wanted to leave it to experts. I looked it up and it just made me more confused:

2 entries found for foley.
foˇley ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl)
n.
1. A technical process by which sounds are created or altered for use in a film, video, or other electronically produced work.
2. A person who creates or alters sounds using this process.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(After JackFoley (1891-1967), pioneering sound effect editor at Universal Studios in the 1930s.)
http://dictionary.re.../search?q=foley

I had to look it up myself:

A Foley catheter is a soft plastic or rubber tube that is inserted into the bladder to drain the urine.

#12 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:06 AM

I had to look it up myself:

A Foley catheter is a soft plastic or rubber tube that is inserted into the bladder to drain the urine.

(Hands over ears) LA, LA, LA, LA, LA!!!!!
:P

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:23 AM

OUCH! That is one small opening to deal with! :lmao: (Unless one is into certain types of *play*; then it may be a bit more feasible perhaps.)

#14 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:05 AM

OUCH! That is one small opening to deal with! :o (Unless one is into certain types of *play*; then it may be a bit more feasible perhaps.)

Caetllonn, I knew you'd get the cold water bug! Thinking about drysuits, alright! Don't worry about a thing, that's what buddies are for. :clapping:

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

What is such a big deal about Depends/nappies/diapers for the women folk? They work. So, why not just use them?

You'll already smell pretty bad by ziplocking yourself into thermals under a drysuit for an afternoon of diving. How much worse can it get?

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 31 January 2006 - 09:37 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users