• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Joining the ranks of Educator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

After years of setting on the fence and a DM and tech DM, I have decided to take the plunge :D into instruction. From those of you currently there, what are some friendly words of advise.

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:55 PM

After years of setting on the fence and a DM and tech DM, I have decided to take the plunge :D into instruction. From those of you currently there, what are some friendly words of advise.

Well, I'm not "there" yet; but congratulations! My road will be much longer and harder I'm sure since you're already at least a DM / Tech DM. I'm just now going through Rescue.

Have you decided whether you are going to instruct independently, or if you will be affiliated with a specific shop? I think that's important, because often when you're affiliated with a specific shop you're at their mercy for which classes you teach and when. I've known people who teach on their own AND through a shop as well, but pay their own insurance so they have the flexibility to remain independent. The shop has to trust that you don't intend to "steal" their clients from their OW to your AOW, etc. :-)

#3 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

As an instructor make sure to leave time to do dives for yourself...
You should be able to teach all the courses but try and focus on teaching the ones you like.With any luck other instuctors perfer teaching other course and you can refer each other.(ex-you like teaching specialties such as wreck and nitrox and rescue and another instuctor likes teaching OW and underwater photography).
Even if your teaching for a shop it is your name and reputation on the students card.Even the best instuctor will have to fail people some cases they shouldn't be diving,some just need to work a little harder(alot of these folks go on to be good divers because there is value in their achivement) and some need some who has a different teaching style.
Re-read the first sentence...

Eric

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

Don't do it! :D Just kidding. Congratulations on your decision.

Just promise yourself that you will stop the day it ceases to be a labor of love.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users