• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

AED and being Wet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:58 PM

At the last Houston HH Stingray brought up an interesting Question?

If a diver is brought on to the dive boat and they are unconscious and not breathing
it would be safe to say that starting CPR would be the next logical thing to do.

What about using a AED on the diver.

could you imagine a dive boat with everyone dripping wet and the deck soaked from the water of
the dripping divers and then using a AED? is it possible that everyone one the boat could get and electrical charge? would it be just enough to dry the chest of the diver between the two paddles.

Finley and I didn't know the answer and Platypus said maybe gather all the dry towels and put under the victim first ?? sounds good.

Great Question Stingray!

Anybody know the right answer?

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

The instructors and DMs from my LDS just took our AED course at the local HS Natatorium - the literature said to keep the victim 18" from the water. We're not talking about lighting off "Old Sparky" down at Huntsville. The primary danger would be the device couldn't analyze correctly, or that the shock would be ineffective with the grounding to the boat. Dry them down, and get them to part of the deck that's as dry as possible.

Here is another reference -

Defibrillator Training

An excerpt:

It is safe to use AEDs in all weather conditions, including rain and snow. In wet weather, wipe the chest dry before placing electrodes. If the victim is lying in water, move him or her to a relatively dry area before attaching the AED.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 nydiver

nydiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~200

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

Capn Jack would be correct in a AED, the machine will get confused by the wet conditions and probably not deliver the shock for safety.

But let us review dive emergency 101, if the diver is unconcious and not breathing where do we go? ABC's, airway, breathing, circulation. Check the airway for obstruction, check breathing (in this case the diver fails), circulation? do we get a pulse? if so Rescue Breathing, if not CPR, if the AED is available start CPR while it is being setup and applied, stop CPR only to let the AED calibrate and deliver the shock.

#4 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

Capn Jack would be correct in a AED, the machine will get confused by the wet conditions and probably not deliver the shock for safety.

But let us review dive emergency 101, if the diver is unconcious and not breathing where do we go? ABC's, airway, breathing, circulation. Check the airway for obstruction, check breathing (in this case the diver fails), circulation? do we get a pulse? if so Rescue Breathing, if not CPR, if the AED is available start CPR while it is being setup and applied, stop CPR only to let the AED calibrate and deliver the shock.

While the AED may not be effective in those conditions, since the main current will go essentially "paddle to paddle", I think if the patient is reasonably dry and everyone is "clear"... there's little risk to "innercent stand-byers". I'd make the area as dry as possible and move the person onto some "non-conductive" surface... get clear, and let'er rip! Oh... and pray!

ITB... :P
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#5 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

There is not a significant risk to the bystanders. The "shock" is absorbed by the patient so unless you are touching the patient you are all good. Even if you are touching the patient you are not going to die, just be knocked on your hiney! Like the other guys said being wet can disrupt the AED's effectiveness.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:50 AM

One person starts CPR immediately while another starts breaking out the AED. Do not delay starting CPR because there is an AED on board. You interrupt CPR to use the AED.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:55 AM

I always wondered about that after seeing "The Abyss" when they used the AED on her lying on the wet dive deck.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

Starting CPR first should go without saying. An AED will only work in a few circumstances. If the heart has stopped, the AED will not discharge vs. CPR you can at least keep blood circulating until help arrives. The beauty of it is as anyone who has ever been trained to use one knows, it is pretty much fool proof. It tells you if you have a "shockable rhythm", counts down, and even reminds you not to touch the patient! How cool is that!! The AED then reanalyzes and will inform you if the patient has converted to a normal heart rhythm or if another "shock" is recommended. My personal belief is that everyone regardless of the type of job they have should be certified in basic CPR. You never know when you may need it.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

as anyone who has ever been trained to use one knows, it is pretty much fool proof

Can we hear an Amen?

If you see me go down, and you have no training, break open one of these boxes and strap it on me. I'll take my chances on you or the box screwing it up. They are just too good not to give it a try.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

There is not a significant risk to the bystanders. The "shock" is absorbed by the patient so unless you are touching the patient you are all good. Even if you are touching the patient you are not going to die, just be knocked on your hiney! Like the other guys said being wet can disrupt the AED's effectiveness.

yeah...the picture directions even show you to clear others away...
who's leading this parade anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users